No announcement yet.

Jake White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If HCGM has faith in him to put him in the game, then he will be fine. Like was mentioned earlier, not every one is all-valley. Jake most likely won't be. He will do what he needs to do to help the team and all will be fine.

Comment

To me jake white is a step slow and looks like he has taken a step back on a team that is the most athletic WSU team in 30 years.

Jake white in his current form is good enough to start on an awful lot of teams, just not an 18-2, 20th ranked team.

I think he is having a hard time finding a role because this team doesn't need a stretch 4 out of him. I think he wanted to be that but he is adjusting to a new role.

I would like to see how he could do as a textbook, rebounding, back to the basket PF/center with mid range shot like Stutz/Durley. They have similar athleticism. I am not the smartest basketball guy by any means, but it was a thought. He already rebounds like a poor mans Hall so I think he is a pretty big asset off the bench. There has to be a way he fits in.

Comment

Jake White is perfectly effective in his niche, which is rebounding and finding easy buckets (seriously, how does get so many good looks down low?) I can live with the 3PT shooting just because it is something than can be turned off. However, he really does stick out on the defensive end. See last night, when Early went to the bench with two fouls in the first and our native born lad on the wrong team started just scorching Jake (he went from something like 2 PTs to about 16 in what felt like a flash).

Bottom line, he is fine when he focused on what he is good at, but quicker opponents seem to get by him way too often on defense.

Comment

Not great matchups on the defensive end for Jake against teams like MSU and SIU that are essentially playing 4 and sometimes 5 guard offenses. He is fine against many of the typical Valley 4 or 5 position players like the Kirk kid from MSU, etc. He certainly is not capable of guarding the 3 position. Unfortunately, a lot of Valley teams have 3's playing the 4 at times. It might be helpful if Cle did not get into so much foul trouble and 3G could pick his spots when to use Jake a little more flexibly.

Jake is and will be a solid role player and gives great effort on the boards. He may yet develop an adequate perimeter game but right now it isn't happening. Seems like I remember last year that Jake had a fairly effecitve step back or fade away shot from 8 to 12 feet out on the baseline, but I'm not sure I remember him taking one of those this year. Not sure if he just hasn't worked on it or if he just hasn't had the opportunities to use it. That's the kind of shot I think he needs to develop. Who was it, Jack Sikma (I think) made a nice living with that step back baseline shot against much more athletic defenders.

I like Jake. I know he will keep working to get better and I hope that will pay of for the young man at some point.

Comment

Hmmm I seem to remember this other kid , was thin , weak , and really struggled his first two yrs then made "some" improvement between So. and Jr. yr , was ragged as FIFI for bein a pushover still in his Jr. yr. and then what was it ??? OH YEAH took us to the sweet 16 his Sr. yr .
            Sometimes posters on this board baffle me with "their" brilliance when it comes to accessing talent. Think I will leave that to the Coach and his staff.
            From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              Jake White is perfectly effective in his niche, which is rebounding and finding easy buckets (seriously, how does get so many good looks down low?) I can live with the 3PT shooting just because it is something than can be turned off. However, he really does stick out on the defensive end. See last night, when Early went to the bench with two fouls in the first and our native born lad on the wrong team started just scorching Jake (he went from something like 2 PTs to about 16 in what felt like a flash).

Bottom line, he is fine when he focused on what he is good at, but quicker opponents seem to get by him way too often on defense.
              Jake gets open looks down low because he's very good at cutting to the basket and finding holes in the defense. Granted this is because he's usually the fourth or fifth option on the team. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. His outside shot could still come around, he's a good rebounder and as he gets more experience I think his anticipation on defense will get better. This should have him go from being a step slow to being right on time.

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
                Hmmm I seem to remember this other kid , was thin , weak , and really struggled his first two yrs then made "some" improvement between So. and Jr. yr , was ragged as FIFI for bein a pushover still in his Jr. yr. and then what was it ??? OH YEAH took us to the sweet 16 his Sr. yr .
                Sometimes posters on this board baffle me with "their" brilliance when it comes to accessing talent. Think I will leave that to the Coach and his staff.
                I didn't know Jake was a 6'10" center with excellent mid-range shooting touch?!? I will indeed give him more time to develop before I offer further criticism!!!!11111

T

...:cool:

Comment

A lot of Jakes problems will be solved and more by getting stronger and quicker by hitting the gym.

He's a sophomore role player who has a great nose for rebounding and likes to mix it up on the board. I think he's filling that role quite well and he's only going to get better.

Count me as a Jake White fan. I'm glad he's on the team and I appreciate what he brings to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    A lot of Jakes problems will be solved and more by getting stronger and quicker by hitting the gym.

He's a sophomore role player who has a great nose for rebounding and likes to mix it up on the board. I think he's filling that role quite well and he's only going to get better.

Count me as a Jake White fan. I'm glad he's on the team and I appreciate what he brings to the table.
                    I totally agree. He works his tail off. He shot the 3 very well in high school and will find that stroke again. He can take a break for now, but keep working on it because he's shown it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      I didn't know Jake was a 6'10" center with excellent mid-range shooting touch?!? I will indeed give him more time to develop before I offer further criticism!!!!11111

T

Your right we shouldn't compare the two ,, but if we did J W 6-8 232lb F getting avg. 3.7 pts in 12 min and 3.3 reb.
                      and P M 6-10 250lb C getting avg. 7.4 pts in 20.2 min and 4.7 reb
                      per espn stats seem faily comparable So I guess you could say our 6-8 forward is as good as our 6-10 Center WAS don't forget
                      Miller was a 5th yr senior to become the STUD he became

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
                        Your right we shouldn't compare the two ,, but if we did J W 6-8 232lb F getting avg. 3.7 pts in 12 min and 3.3 reb.
                        and P M 6-10 250lb C getting avg. 7.4 pts in 20.2 min and 4.7 reb
                        per espn stats seem faily comparable So I guess you could say our 6-8 forward is as good as our 6-10 Center WAS don't forget
                        Miller was a 5th yr senior to become the STUD he became
                        Jake isn't 6'8", he is 6'7" and Paul was a highly mobile and athletic 6'10" player heavily recruited by BCS schools. 6'7" players of Jake's (current) caliber are a dime a dozen. It needs to be made very clear to him that when/if he's healthy, he better be ready to rock or..... ship off.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                          Jake isn't 6'8", he is 6'7" and Paul was a highly mobile and athletic 6'10" player heavily recruited by BCS schools. 6'7" players of Jake's (current) caliber are a dime a dozen. It needs to be made very clear to him that when/if he's healthy, he better be ready to rock or..... ship off.

T

listed as 6-8 on all the stat sites ( I havent personaly measured him ) I'll get on that lol
                          and I knoe Paul was recruted for baseball ,, but not Basketball

Comment

Early got torched by Gavin as well until we started switching screens and handoffs.
                            Last edited by proshox; January 24, 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

the way he rebounds, he seems to have good hands, though. not big, but rugged under the boards. i'd like to see him get to the free throw line more often.. start scoring that way, and work it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                                Early got torched by Gavin as well until we started switchg screens an handoffs.
                                It's like MSU stole Evansville's pick and roll heavy playbook.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X