Marshall to issue statement...Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Nothing is gonna be settled Monday, next Tuesday, the 10th day of February or the 2nd day of March. Nothing will be known until AFTER the season ends IMO. He may say there's nothing to worry about in the presser on Monday just to keep the psyche of the players and fans intact until the season ends.

Waiting for a presser til Monday is definitely weird. If there was nothing to say or nothing going on , don't you think he just woulda said 'I'm not interested in the job, period" and that's that?

Anyone who thinks there's less than a 10% chance of Marshall going needs dark shades and an eye-seeing dog..

Sometimes the truth hurts.
    it's seeing-eye dog and anyway, :clap:

Comment

My dog sees my eyes all the time
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

One other thing . . . there is not going to be a "press conference" Monday. He is going to issue a statement, which will probably be in written form and released to the media.

It is just like Turgeon did when he removed his name from the KU search years ago.

Comment

Nothing is gonna be settled Monday, next Tuesday, the 10th day of February or the 2nd day of March. Nothing will be known until AFTER the season ends IMO. He may say there's nothing to worry about in the presser on Monday just to keep the psyche of the players and fans intact until the season ends.

Waiting for a presser til Monday is definitely weird. If there was nothing to say or nothing going on , don't you think he just woulda said 'I'm not interested in the job, period" and that's that?

Anyone who thinks there's less than a 10% chance of Marshall going needs dark shades and an eye-seeing dog..

Sometimes the truth hurts.
          Go to the link I posted a few replies above yours and read Suellentrop's take on why wait until Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
            it's seeing-eye dog and anyway, :clap:
            :roll: :cry: :( :good:

Well there goes all the credibility with my post! :yes:
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
              Originally posted by Flanders
              South Carolina has three months to fill their vacancy. They need to make the absolute right hire at this point as their fans seem a bit angry at the last 30 years of basketball. There is no way they offer someone the job without an interview. Is HCGM going to interview between now and Monday?

It is way too soon to be thinking about GM to South Carolina. They will first get a list of candidates and then whittle them down. That is the beauty of the mid-season retirement. They have all the time in the world to make the right choice.
              True. More I think about it Monday will probably be your..."Today I am coaching Wichita State and right now my only concern is winning games...."and so on. He will probably leave it open for later on in March if/when he gets an interview.

No real reason to worry about it. It's not fun having this come up, but I'm looking forward to giving this team and coaching staff all the support I can muster!! GO SHOX!
              You're right. Come Monday it'll be the ol' standard coachspeak about focusing on finishing the season strong etc., This will be a wait and see issue when the season's over.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                Go to the link I posted a few replies above yours and read Suellentrop's take on why wait until Monday.
                Paul provides good points. I can see that side of the fence too.

Gregg could be a good actor. I'm sure practicing in front of his players he wants to act like there's nothing going on. Would you act all down in the dumps and stressed out and look obvious in front of your players if you were considering possible departure?

Either way, I still think we won't know the 'true' answer until sometime in March. Let's hope we don't get lucky at the Lou.. :D
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  Paul provides good points. I can see that side of the fence too.

Gregg could be a good actor. I'm sure practicing in front of his players he wants to act like there's nothing going on. Would you act all down in the dumps and stressed out and look obvious in front of your players if you were considering possible departure?

Either way, I still think we won't know the 'true' answer until sometime in March. Let's hope we don't get lucky at the Lou.. :D
                  I don't think Marshall is that good of an actor judging by how he wears his emotions on his sleeve. But yeah, won't know for sure till at least March more than likely.

Hopefully we won't have to go through these threads everyday until then....
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Okay, excuse me, but I was tied for the most picks right in the SN NCAA picks thingy on ESPN.com so my opinion matters!!!

Not really but I still say, in the words of Hawk Harrelson....He Gone.......if offered.

Mentioned this early when it broke, let's hope SC likes Anthony Grant.

Comment

why don't they hire Coach Spurrier to coach hoops too? Even better, hire Stephen Colbert!

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                        Anybody else hear the rumor that Danny Ainge is in town this weekend?
                        I heard the rumor second hand from JJ Clamdip, who has been banned from this very site. I thought he was pulling my leg, but maybe not.

What is the rumor saying?

Comment

Well you gotta at least respect
                          that hes saying something
                          instead of being silent
                          while his no 8 in the country team falls to pieces.
                          and then booting out a few players
                          and leaving on a whim....
                          like that one coach.
                          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Some info after reading internet news on the topic this morning:

Coach talked with JS last night and a prepared statement will be released Monday. Odom was paid in the 900,000+ range with incentives at USC. As of last night, USC had not contacted Marshall. His ties to USC include having season football tickets when he lived in S.C. and counting their football coach among his friends.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

Monday's statement should provide answers. Unless Marshall has the South Carolina job wrapped up (without a formal interview), he cannot afford this kind of a distraction right now. He is the coach of the Shockers and needs to keep his eye on the ball recruiting. If he does not definitively pull himself out of the running for the SC job, it will be difficult to hold on to the recruits he has gotten to commit and even more difficult to sign the one or two more recruits he has talked about going after.

Unless he has reason to believe that he is the STRONG frontrunner for the job, he will be putting his career at risk if he does not put this issue to bed quickly. Two months is a long time for these young men his is trying to bring here to wonder about whether the coach they are wanting to play for will still be at the university they signed with.

The timing of this is not good for Marshall. Considering another job (ala Huggins) during his first year here cannot look good.

Another point to consider, if Spurrier is a friend of Marshall like the media is reporting, Marshall has contacts in the SC athletic department. If the SC position is one that he wants, he would have been able to find out where he stood with respect to that job when he was considering WSU. I don't see how he uproots his family and brings them here if SC is that convinced that Marshall should be their next coach.

It just seems like this would be the wrong timing for Marshall to take this job. If he was still at Winthrop, or had been here a few years and had success, the timing of the job would be better for him. I would be more worried if Marshall had enough time here to establish himself as a success here.

I think Marshall has done a great job here to this point. It has been a difficult job due to the mess he had to clean up when he got here. I just don't see him being able to drag this out for two months with where the program here is.

:posterwu:

Comment

Great post...Gis

Comment

Working...
                                X