Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

They might take a look at Tang. After this season there are more questions than answers on Mills. I mean could you imagine Baylor fans reactions to Mills coming off this season?
    I know what my reaction was (not good) to Mills even after coming off a 30-5 season so I can definitely imagine theirs. I still don’t think he’d be disqualified for 1 rebuilding year when he seems to fit the exact candidate profile for that type of opening.

Kind of a similar situation, Kyle Neptune spent 8 years as an assistant at Villanova. He went to Fordham for a year, went 16-16 and then came back to take over Villanova after Jay Wright retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Yeah they're not going from him to Mills.
      no sh!t

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

I know what my reaction was (not good) to Mills even after coming off a 30-5 season so I can definitely imagine theirs. I still don’t think he’d be disqualified for 1 rebuilding year when he seems to fit the exact candidate profile for that type of opening.

Kind of a similar situation, Kyle Neptune spent 8 years as an assistant at Villanova. He went to Fordham for a year, went 16-16 and then came back to take over Villanova after Jay Wright retired.
        I thought of this exact scenario when I saw the thread earlier in the day. This was at Nova..

I love posters here who pretend like Mills didn’t just make a Sweet 16 and earn a 12 seed… at Oral Roberts. No doubt his first year here was underwhelming. But acting like his resume is drastically worse than Tang’s… idk. I mean it’s worse I agree, but not by the factor people are pretending.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I thought of this exact scenario when I saw the thread earlier in the day. This was at Nova..

I love posters here who pretend like Mills didn’t just make a Sweet 16 and earn a 12 seed… at Oral Roberts. No doubt his first year here was underwhelming. But acting like his resume is drastically worse than Tang’s… idk. I mean it’s worse I agree, but not by the factor people are pretending.
          Please! Let's not make too much of that S16 season.

First, that team was 10-5 in conference finishing as the 4th seed for the conference tourney. The 5th place team was .500 in conference and 9-17 overall. Second, they had both Obanor and Abmas.
          Third, in the conference tourney they won by 2 points on a buzzer beater in the semis and by 3 points in the finals. In other words, they were not much better or worse than 2 other teams in that conference.
          Fourth, they were a true Cinderella team by betting Ohio St by 3 in OT and Florida by 3.

Without Obanor the next year, they went 19-12 (12-6) and lost in the conference tourney semi by 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Yeah, anybody can make the S16

Comment

First, that team was 10-5 in conference finishing as the 4th seed for the conference tourney. The 5th place team was .500 in conference and 9-17 overall. Second, they had both Obanor and Abmas.
              Third, in the conference tourney they won by 2 points on a buzzer beater in the semis and by 3 points in the finals. In other words, they were not much better or worse than 2 other teams in that conference.
              Fourth, they were a true Cinderella team by betting Ohio St by 3 in OT and Florida by 3.

Without Obanor the next year, they went 19-12 (12-6) and lost in the conference tourney semi by 20.

This .. the S16 is a great accomplishment .. but you have 7 years of his history to look at. Its not just 2 games. Similarly to the people who think this year was a success because we beat Memphis in the AAC tourney. Gotta look at everything in totality

Its hard to compare a 7 year head coach to a 2 year head coach but you have a 7 year head coach with a sweet 16 and season wins of 30, 19, 18, 17, 15, 11, 11 with the majority of those being in a really bad conference and a 2 year head coach with an elite 8 with win totals of 26 and 19 in one of the toughest leagues in the country. Pretty easy to see why Tang's very short resume is quite a bit higher ranking than Mills.

Comment

• HCPM would also owe WSU some money if he left now. Not just the usual buyout but WSU would also need paid back for covering undisclosed buyout for Oral Roberts.

if HCPM gets considered, it’ll be because LOTS of people previously said NO.
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

No. Not anybody. But teams in unlikely conferences that get a few timely breaks, both in the conference tourney and the Dance can win 2 or 3 close games in each and against most anybody. Sometimes even being a little better team and/or having a better coach in a non-power conference can take you farther than that and it's not so unexpected, just unlikely. Greater consistency, year in and year out in non-power conference teams can make coaches great.

Comment

No, not the team photos. It is the roster page where it shows each of the individual players. That page has a link near the top of that page to click to see the coaches. When I checked it last fall/early winter that link was available back to 2012-13. I see that it has been updated and now they do not have that link until the 2014-15 season. If you clink that link for 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17 (the last year Mills was at Baylor) it does show his pic for the 2014-15 season just as it did when I checked last year. However, if you click the link for the roster years of 2015-16 and 2016-17, the last season Mills was at Baylor, he is NOT shown with the other coaches those 2 years, even though he was an assistant coach. When I checked this out last year, they still had a link for coaches in 2013-14 and 2012-13 which his picture also was not shown with the individual coaching staff pics. His picture was ONLY shown for one season out of the five then. Now the link is only shown for 3 of the years that Mills was there, but his pic only once and not the following two years that he was an assistant.

My point being, whether it was the 5-year period or 3-year period, his pic was shown only once with the other assistant coaches. I took that to mean, he was not as high on the totem pole as the other assistants, even in his last 2 years there.
                    Bro, you really need to get a life. lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

You’ll never get the IB lovers to budge on their disdain for Mills. They are bitterly holding on.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Seriously!! lol. Can’t believe I read that. I had to re-read it. Downplaying a S16 is some wild sh!t, even for the IB lovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

You’ll never get the IB lovers to budge on their disdain for Mills. They are bitterly holding on.
                          My disdain is for terrible Shocker basketball teams. Just because it happened understand Mills does not make me an IB lover.
                          A better classification is to link the two, along with the other libtards that destroyed the program with the like of Cohen and Thompson.
                          Phi Alpha

Comment

• If the Baylor job comes open, every "short list" of 5 will have Tang on it. Mills might appear on an 'others" list of 15 or 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Bro, you really need to get a life. lol!
                              The basis for all this (and other information I found) I did when we hired Mills so that I would know more about him. It was really pretty simple and not time consuming. I don't believe I even wrote anything about it at that time. As it turned out, I mentioned this and other information in a later discussion.

I've now used that (and other info) again because of something that was said/asked by another poster of a statement I posted. Yes, I went back to verify this one item and there were changes. It took longer explain where I originally found it, how they could find it, and explain the changes to that material (and type this to kindly explain to you).

I've been retired for years, so the little time to look some things up is no big deal.

One last thing, I've always enjoyed your posts. However, of late, they seem a little more edgy. See your last 3 posts here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This .. the S16 is a great accomplishment .. but you have 7 years of his history to look at. Its not just 2 games. Similarly to the people who think this year was a success because we beat Memphis in the AAC tourney. Gotta look at everything in totality

Its hard to compare a 7 year head coach to a 2 year head coach but you have a 7 year head coach with a sweet 16 and season wins of 30, 19, 18, 17, 15, 11, 11 with the majority of those being in a really bad conference and a 2 year head coach with an elite 8 with win totals of 26 and 19 in one of the toughest leagues in the country. Pretty easy to see why Tang's very short resume is quite a bit higher ranking than Mills.
                                Would also be wise to take a look at trends at the schools too.

Tang went from the Elite 8 with Weber's PG to not making the tourney the next year with his guys, Mills inherited the last place team in the Summit and took them to 2 NCAAs his last three years there.

Comment

Working...
                                X