No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isaac Brown=Scott Thompson and not the answer.

Both Steve Forbes and Chris Jans would have been possible at the time and good answers.

I’m not sure about Paul Mills yet and have no opinion yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      Isaac Brown=Scott Thompson and not the answer.

Both Steve Forbes and Chris Jans would have been possible at the time and good answers.

I’m not sure about Paul Mills yet and have no opinion yet.
      To be sure no one, including myself, was pleased with what we saw from HCIB, but if you compare his time here with Soctt T's and not what we saw this year from HCPM you are absolutely frickin' delusional (and that's giving you credit). HCIB at least won a conference title with GGG's players when GGG couldn't win a conference title with GGG's players, or the ones that remained anyway, which included a 6'7" Center. Sampson didn't own HCIB like he did HCGM. No (look at the banners)?

WSU has had worse coaches than Brown (and damn sure worse recruiters) that lasted longer, and ACKS better damn sure have had a good plan in place, considering the circumstances. Now that we're basically in the CUSA West division I expect, and demand, better. We'll see...
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; 1 week ago.

Comment

• The damndest thing was that IB was almost always competitive against Kelvin Sampson and almost never competitive against $0.01.

And Kelvin has more coaching ability in his pinkie toe than Penny has in his entire being, so....

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

To be sure no one, including myself, was pleased with what we saw from HCIB, but if you compare his time here with Soctt T's and not what we saw this year from HCPM you are absolutely frickin' delusional (and that's giving you credit). HCIB at least won a conference title with GGG's players when GGG couldn't win a conference title with GGG's players, or the ones that remained anyway, which included a 6'7" Center. Sampson didn't own HCIB like he did HCGM. No (look at the banners)?

WSU has had worse coaches than Brown (and damn sure worse recruiters) that lasted longer, and ACKS better damn sure have had a good plan in place, considering the circumstances. Now that we're basically in the CUSA West division I expect, and demand, better. We'll see...
          Lol
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Your analysis lacks substance.

Scott Thompson came to WSU as a third, fourth, or fifth choice at a time following Cohen who had run down the program(turned it into a losing program) after many years of success under Smithson and Fogler. Thompson had zero personality nor recruiting chops. He followed up his WSU stint with an unsuccessful stint at Cornell. IB wasn’t and likely never will be Div. 1 head coaching material. He led our program into a losing program, and had zero personality or HC recruiting chops, just as Thompson.

IB was a nice guy but he followed a nationally respected program and coach, after over a decade of success. Jans and Forbes both had a huge amount of responsibility in the Shocker program, and followed the Shocker success into years of head coaching success at other Div. 1 schools. Both Forbes and Jans would have been great head coach choices at WSU.

Paul Mills had a certain amount of success at a low budget (low level Div. 1 conference) Div. 1 school who has seen little success. This program (WSU) lost a lot of prestige (bottom AAC program)under IB. I’m not sure whether PM can lead our program back to respectability but he deserves a chance.

Comment

Scott Thompson came to WSU as a third, fourth, or fifth choice at a time following Cohen who had run down the program(turned it into a losing program) after many years of success under Smithson and Fogler. Thompson had zero personality nor recruiting chops. He followed up his WSU stint with an unsuccessful stint at Cornell. IB wasn’t and likely never will be Div. 1 head coaching material. He led our program into a losing program, and had zero personality or HC recruiting chops, just as Thompson.

IB was a nice guy but he followed a nationally respected program and coach, after over a decade of success. Jans and Forbes both had a huge amount of responsibility in the Shocker program, and followed the Shocker success into years of head coaching success at other Div. 1 schools. Both Forbes and Jans would have been great head coach choices at WSU.

Paul Mills had a certain amount of success at a low budget (low level Div. 1 conference) Div. 1 school who has seen little success. This program (WSU) lost a lot of prestige (bottom AAC program)under IB. I’m not sure whether PM can lead our program back to respectability but he deserves a chance.
              It’s worth adding that we lost a ton of respect after what happened with Marshall at the end. I’d actually argue that Marshall (at the very very end) sparked the flame of us losing prestige and then ADDB poured gas on IB and shoved the poor guy into the fire when he just wasn’t ready for that (or maybe paid him enough to step into it). Either way, he was the wrong guy to put it out. Let’s just hope Mills puts us back on the map, because if not… well, I can’t keep waking up at 1am to watch what we’ve had the last few seasons.

Comment

How do you know Jans or Forbes would leave their programs if offered? Maybe there was discussion. We may never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

How do you know Jans or Forbes would leave their programs if offered? Maybe there was discussion. We may never know.
                  20-21. COVID season. IB’s interim year. Jans at New Mexico State. I know for an effing fact that Jans wanted the job. I was also told by same source that Boatwrong didn’t like Jans. When IB showed fool’s gold success (how many times did we say that we didn’t deserve wins?), FADDB seemingly felt like he had to give IB the job. I could see it from a mile away that it was such a short-sighted decision.

Here’s what I would have done…presuming I couldn’t have retained GM. I would have approached Jans in November to take the job…yes, in the middle of the season, as unorthodox as that seems. That would/could have led to the best possible retention and continuation of things going forward.

The reason for unorthodox approach would have been because I think CJ would have agreed. In that COVID season, NMSU had a s***show of a time playing their season. The team had to relocate to Arizona or somewhere like that to even practice. It was a mess. So, I would have offered Chris to either accept job right then…or not be risk not being considered in March. Chris wanted the job at the time bad enough that I think he’d have done it. The NMSU AD supported CJ enough in finding that “big money job” that he might not have been too upset about the midseason departure, especially during the weird COVID circumstances.

But what the hell do I know?

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

Forbes had already accepted Wake Forest for 2020-21, so the timing was all wrong. Jans on the other would have probably taken the job if asked for 2021-22. 2022-23, however, was probably out unless the timing was just right. However, he was never going to be asked by Boatwrong. All just spitballin'.

Comment

• The decision to hire/not hire Jans seems like an easy decision in hindsight but we had to offer the job to IB. Players/parents were not happy with the abuse allegations against 3G. Who wants to send their kid to play for a allegedly abusive coach? IB was a nice guy that personally recruited a lot of the players on them team, even though people here like to call them 3G’s recruits. We all see how often players leave when their main recruiter leaves a program. IB is a black coach. Like it or not, we needed a politcally correct move at the time. IB won COY and the conference title as an interim. We HAD to give him the job. Boatright just effed up the contract that’s all. He was an idiot in a position above his competence. Set us back 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        The decision to hire/not hire Jans seems like an easy decision in hindsight but we had to offer the job to IB. Players/parents were not happy with the abuse allegations against 3G. Who wants to send their kid to play for a allegedly abusive coach? IB was a nice guy that personally recruited a lot of the players on them team, even though people here like to call them 3G’s recruits. We all see how often players leave when their main recruiter leaves a program. IB is a black coach. Like it or not, we needed a politcally correct move at the time. IB won COY and the conference title as an interim. We HAD to give him the job. Boatright just effed up the contract that’s all. He was an idiot in a position above his competence. Set us back 10 years.
                        Please put quotes (" ") on conference title. At Cincy, at Temple, Memphis here, and both SMU games were canceled. Also, the AAC tourney was a failure, as well as the Drake game. But, yes, we needed to do the "right thing" at the time, even if it was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Please put quotes (" ") on conference title. At Cincy, at Temple, Memphis here, and both SMU games were canceled. Also, the AAC tourney was a failure, as well as the Drake game. But, yes, we needed to do the "right thing" at the time, even if it was wrong.
                          True, we got lucky and the cards fell in our favor that year. Not to mention the ice storm for the home game vs UH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            The decision to hire/not hire Jans seems like an easy decision in hindsight but we had to offer the job to IB.
                            It was just as easy at the time.

Words cannot describe how BAD DB fumbled the ball.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• IB declined an opportunity to go celebrate with boosters after the Houston win. That should have been a large red flag, if not flat-out disqualifying him, right then and there.
                              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

It was just as easy at the time.

Words cannot describe how BAD DB fumbled the ball.
                                I think we all realize that DB was a lazy man with no balls and no foresight. Always took what he thought was the easy way out. Completely influenced by media.

I am depressing myself .... he was just pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X