Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    It didn’t come out of nowhere. Lol. It is widely known that stick is an IB guy.
    It is widely known that some on here have tagged him as an IB guy despite all of the posting history evidence that says otherwise. It's a way for those posters to try and avoid responding to his reasonable observations and analysis.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Because you argued against IB firing and were a IB guy. Everybody see your motives. You are just Schill.
      Do you live in reality? I never once argued against it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It is widely known that some on here have tagged him as an IB guy despite all of the posting history evidence that says otherwise. It's a way for those posters to try and avoid responding to his reasonable observations and analysis.
        Some people struggle with critical thinking and instead correlate that if you aren't happy with the Mills hire means you loved IB.

Guess their mind can't process two different decisions at once.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Maybe we could discuss coaching sideline behavior and its interaction with the fans. Hopefully get this discussion abut coaches instead of about posters.

Marshall was animated, to say the least, on the sidelines. That gets the crowd involved. It's a form of theater. It's part of the overall experience and part of the "show" that's going on. It adds to the value of the admission cost.

If a coach turns to the crowd and encourages some noise and cheering, the crowd will respond. That can lead to the players responding and actually affect the outcome of the game.

Watching Mills on the sidelines, he looks like a fan who happened to be allowed near the court. It doesn't take anything away from the game or the overall experience, but it doesn't add anything or add value to the price of admission.

Mills doesn't need to go to the extreme edge where Marshall was, but he at least needs to show some emotion, positive or negative, to what's going on in the game. I'm certain there are fans looking for that.
          Last edited by Aargh; 4 weeks ago.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Maybe we could discuss coaching sideline behavior and its interaction with the fans. Hopefully get this discussion abut coaches instead of about posters.

Marshall was animated, animated, to say the least, on the sidelines. That gets the crowd involved. It's a form of theater. It's part of the overall experoience and part of the "show" that's going on. It adds to the value of attendance.

If a coach turns to the crowd and encourages some noise and cheering, the crowd will respond, which can lead to the players responding and actually affect the outcome f the game.

Watching Mills on the sidelines, he looks like a fan who happened to be allowed near the court. It doesn't take anything away from the game or the overall experience, but it doesn't add anything or add value to the price of admission.

Mills doesn't need to go to the extreme edge where Marshall was, but he at least needs to show some emotion, positive or negative, to what's going on in the game. I'm cartain there ar fans looking for that.
            Am I the only one who doesn’t care at all, I just want wins

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Maybe we could discuss

Mills doesn't need to go to the extreme edge where Marshall was, but he at least needs to show some emotion, positive or negative, to what's going on in the game. I'm certain there are fans looking for that.
              He does show emotion, or are you saying standing there with his head between his legs looking like he is about to throw up isn't emotion? It was an emotion I shared with him at times this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Am I the only one who doesn’t care at all, I just want wins
                I honestly don’t know anybody who goes to games to watch the coach. If the team’s on a tear, and they’re winning, fans will cheer. And it’s not like Mills had many opportunities to encourage the fans lol. Every other minute we’d do something stupid like a turnover that kills momentum.

i find this whole evaluation of what a coach does on sidelines to be kind of obnoxious. Who cares lol. Just WIN.

Comment

• Honestly, having a massively winning coach that is cool as a cucumber on the sidelines and at post game interviews is studly. Kelvin Sampson is a bad ass in this regard, and only gets fired up when it really starts going south and he needs his team to respond.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• As I said previously, in the absence of great success, having a coach that is engaging is more important as it is a way to connect with fans.

Nobody said fans go to watch the coach. But an animated coach can add to the overall experience and pump life into a crowd.

You can be boring as **** if you're winning a **** ton of games and being highly successful. If you aren't, then it does help to have some sort of fire within that you let out at least on occasion.

We're not winning big or anywhere close to it. We also have a coach who just stands there for the most part looking like he has the flu or something. Afraid to do too much in fear of losing his lunch.

Passion goes a long way. Even more so when you're struggling. At least people can tell you care. IB was emotionless. Mills is next to emotionless. Neither one really did much to excite fans on or off the court. And for the most part, their teams play the same way; with little passion.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A coaches job is to maximize each players performance as well as create a team chemistry with x's and O's. Each player responds to different coaching methods differently.
                      In the Marine Corps I had 3 drill instructor. The senior DI was calm and never really pushed anything in an aggressive manner, was very instructional and would pull each recruit to his office for more personal conversation.
                      Another DI was always very animated, screaming, yelling, running, jumping and belittling you for anything you did wrong or without full effort. He basically called you out for underperforming.
                      The last of the 3 DI's, never said much to anyone individually and would just stand tall and lean with his hands on his hips while glaring at you like he would gladly kill you if you messed up or didn't give it everything you have.If anyone messed up, he would order us to prepare for inspection, meaning to put on your best maintained uniform that you have worked for hours to prepare it for inspection. But rather than doing an inspection, he would march us to the "pit" (A dusty dirty block of powdery block of land", where he would PT (a string of different physically demanding exercizes )us for 45 minutes. This would make us sweat with all the dust sticking to our once inspection ready uniforms, creating mud and dust all over you while scuffing your boots. He would allow the person who originally screwed up, to just stand and watch far enough away that his uniform stayed nice and clean. Rarely did the person who screwed up get the punishment. But everyone else did. This created a peer pressure to always perform at your highest level.
                      I see PM as the senior drill instructor type, responsible for the team overall but absolutely having the staff to lazer focus on the individual performance of each player by hitting on the best method of accountability for each player.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        As I said previously, in the absence of great success, having a coach that is engaging is more important as it is a way to connect with fans.

Nobody said fans go to watch the coach. But an animated coach can add to the overall experience and pump life into a crowd.

You can be boring as **** if you're winning a **** ton of games and being highly successful. If you aren't, then it does help to have some sort of fire within that you let out at least on occasion.

We're not winning big or anywhere close to it. We also have a coach who just stands there for the most part looking like he has the flu or something. Afraid to do too much in fear of losing his lunch.

Passion goes a long way. Even more so when you're struggling. At least people can tell you care. IB was emotionless. Mills is next to emotionless. Neither one really did much to excite fans on or off the court. And for the most part, their teams play the same way; with little passion.
                        Mark Few has been very successful at Gonzaga and he is not demonstrative. I see HCPM and Few in the same light as far as sideline demeanor. I liked HCGM's sideline antics, but I could care less that HCPM is subdued as long as he can win games. I'm hoping we see success this year, and I think we will.
                        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Mark Few has been very successful at Gonzaga and he is not demonstrative. I see HCPM and Few in the same light as far as sideline demeanor. I liked HCGM's sideline antics, but I could care less that HCPM is subdued as long as he can win games. I'm hoping we see success this year, and I think we will.
                          John Wooden is another one that had a little success. I enjoyed the antics as well but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

• I don't care what he does on the sidelines, although I do think some ass chewing and talking to the refs helps, but I do wanna see more engagement with the community to raise support and awareness. We need to bring life back into the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

John Wooden is another one that had a little success. I enjoyed the antics as well but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
                              Sam Gilbert sure helped with that.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

The difference is Few has had great success and won big for years. Mills has not. I also stated as much in my post. You want an engaged fan base while losing? You need some passion in the game. Something for them to feed on. If you're not winning, and you show no passion, it's going to make it all much harder on fans.

Mills is no Few when it comes to product and results. Few also had an advantage in taking over the program when it was already on its way up and was coming off of a tournament win. He just kept building on that.

As much as I sometimes crap on Turgeon for various things, he never lacked that fire and passion on the sidelines when he was here. Fans fed off of that when we were struggling. The same for 3G. You never doubted his fire and desire to win and make this program into what it could be. He also did a better job off the court than any coach I can recall in Wichita about stoking that passion for the program.

Mills absolutely has to win to get the fan base truly engaged again, because he's shown no other avenue to get it back while he's working on fixing the on court product. Few never had to worry about that. So for Mills, he absolutely has to start winning to get fans back on a larger scale because there's been nothing truly inspiring over the last year about him or the program.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X