No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least the local ladies have something to look forward to with Cold's blood pumping again.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      At least the local ladies have something to look forward to with Cold's blood pumping again.
      Coming to a park bench near you.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Ladies?
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

So, Mills was an ace recruiter at ORU, which is one of the most difficult places to recruit to. Now he's an incompetent recruiter at WSU.

Does that make it harder to recruit to WSU than to recruit to ORU?

Was Mills first year at ORU better or worse than his first year at WSU?

I'm not convinced that UNT's NIL is worse than WSU's. When an NBA rookie of the year prospect gets a loaner car with no expenses paid, then we're going to get the D1 castoffs who can't get a better deal than that anywhere else.

Nigel Pack got $800,000 to play for Miami for 2 years. Porter got a loaner car for a year. Porter is a better player than Pack.

Some school is going to offer Abidde $100,000+ - AS A PROJECT! Schools are going to be offering more NIL to projects than WSU can offer to starters.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Some school is going to offer Abidde $100,000+ - AS A PROJECT! Schools are going to be offering more NIL to projects than WSU can offer to starters.
            How do you know this?

Comment

Don;t worry, the new strain of Covid will send him back into hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                Nigel Pack got $800,000 to play for Miami for 2 years. Porter got a loaner car for a year. Porter is a better player than Pack..
                Im pretty sure Porter received more than a loaner car.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Might as well get it started. No, I don't think he will be fired this year or even next. But there are long-term consequences of a rudderless ship. It has been pointed out by a shockernetter that this team looks like the continuation of "IB ball".
                  Love this thread. Man after my own heart, SB. Would have started it myself if I could have. At least makes for some debate.
                  Last edited by shoxlax; January 8, 2024, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Give Paul Mills Craig Porter and Jaykwon Walton and we're a tourmament team. Instead we have Bijan Cortes and Xavier Bell. Is that on the coaches? Sure. But comparing UNT to WSU is silly. UNT didn't replace an entire coaching staff that was learning about the program they've inherited while also trying to sell recruits about that same program.

I have concerns about the trajectory of the team. I have concerns about the program's culture. But most of those concerns come from a deep desire to see the program experience some type of success compared to the last three years. PM has signed two top 150 freshman in his first half-year on the job, I'm optimistic that he can continue to recruit. I think we've had players get better since the previous coaching staff, even if thats not producing team results. We run offense, we just don't have players that can execute because the defense barely has to play defense.

Comment

I believe it's one top 150 and a top 250.

Zion Pipkin

247 - 148
                      ESPN - N/R (I'm only finding a top 100. His grade seems to probably put him between 110-150 somewhere)
                      Rivals - 148
                      On3 - 140
                      Verbal Commits - 148

TJ Williams

247 - 225
                      ESPN - N/R (Based on grade outside of 150)
                      Rivals - N/R
                      On3 - 178
                      Verbal Commits - N/R

I'm not trying to be negative, but when people keep saying two top 150 recruits it sounds better than it is. Is there a ranking site out there that has Williams in the top 150?

I know a couple of years ago Zion was a borderline top 50 recruit. I'm not sure what happened in his development or play that has dropped him so much.
                      Last edited by SubGod22; January 8, 2024, 10:19 AM.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Seems to me I saw one with Williams at 163?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          I know a couple of years ago Zion was a borderline top 50 recruit. I'm not sure what happened in his development or play that has dropped him so much.
                          Sure you do, he committed to us. These ratings systems absolutely take into account who is looking at a kid and where that kid eventually lands when "rating" them. You aren't going to see a 5 star at a non power 5 unless they have the same name as a head coach or Hall of Famer.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            I know nothing other than that recruiting rankings are inexact sciences that can be swayed by asinine reasoning (ie signing at Wichita State equals drop, signing at Kansas equals rise).

Zion played for PJ, so I’m already comfortable with both the basketball talent and mental makeup of this kid.

EDIT: Doc beat me to it by seconds.
                            78-65

Comment

Sure you do, he committed to us. These ratings systems absolutely take into account who is looking at a kid and where that kid eventually lands when "rating" them. You aren't going to see a 5 star at a non power 5 unless they have the same name as a head coach or Hall of Famer.
                              He dropped well before that. I think I saw him at 53 sometime in early '22. By last summer, he'd fallen to around where he is now and he had not yet committed and some P5 schools were still considered the favorites for his services.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Retitled thread to better fit the actual discussion.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X