Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Seems like a huge red flag
    I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't actively recruit any player from there since the assistant was likely to get the job. That seems like something Mills would do. That said, I'd hope if the player WANTED to come along .. he would have let them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't actively recruit any player from there since the assistant was likely to get the job. That seems like something Mills would do. That said, I'd hope if the player WANTED to come along .. he would have let them.
      the 7 footer left

Comment

• Kung Wu . I'd like to see post 806 or 807 through 849 moved to the Mills Not Hot Seat thread. Thanks
        Last edited by ShockTalk; February 7, 2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

the 7 footer left
          True, he's not exactly good though. Hes averaging 3ppg at Missouri

Comment

I still find it interesting that no one wanted to follow him too. Abmas obviously had NIL funds to get but Issac McBride would have likely been our best player. I would have also loved to have the shooting ability of Thompson.
            I suspect Mills didn't want to poach from his former assistant, who took over as HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I suspect Mills didn't want to poach from his former assistant, who took over as HC.
              Yup, i said that in a following post. But like i mentioned, if a player WANTED to come, I would hope he would have taken them (assuming it was a player he felt would be competitive). So its a little of both. I call it a yellow flag instead of a red flag lol.

Comment

Yup, i said that in a following post. But like i mentioned, if a player WANTED to come, I would hope he would have taken them (assuming it was a player he felt would be competitive). So its a little of both. I call it a yellow flag instead of a red flag lol.
                Marshall had players who wanted to come when he left Winthrop. He told them no because he didn't think it was the right thing to do. He also wasn't very happy that Turgeon took Bowles to TAM who had committed to WSU.
                I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  We apparently no longer look for decent candidates so I guess it's all moot at this point.

I've said he gets at least three years, but I'm not going to kneel and blow him while the product sucks like some on this board do. There has been very little on the court that has been the least bit encouraging outside of a couple of fluke nights where they shoot out of their ass. That's not really that bright since it's not something to hang your hat on.

Previous coaches who struggled showed improvement and you could see what they were doing. Right now every game is pretty much SSDD. Some of us will continue to call out the bullshit we're watching and some of us will continue to bury our heads in the sand and pretend everything is fine.

I don't want to have to go through another coaching change. I want Mills to be successful. Nothing about him says that he will be and nothing I'm seeing indicates that we will move in that direction eventually. This spring will tell us a lot and I'm not seeing any reason to be optimistic at this point.

This team flat out sucks and that's not about the talent level, which is lacking in areas to be sure. Coaching has appeared to be next to non-existent.

And with how Saal has currently done things, I wouldn't trust him enough to unload a trunk full of money on him even if I had that ability. And obviously, those with the money feel the same way.
                  It's called patience. I doubt anyone is HAPPY with anything right now.

But if you are gonna "give the guy 3 years"....then give him 3 years. Don't have to be happy with the product. But some posts on here sure dont seem like people who are "giving him 3 years". Many would obviously fire him yesterday if it was possible.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

It's called patience. I doubt anyone is HAPPY with anything right now.

But if you are gonna "give the guy 3 years"....then give him 3 years. Don't have to be happy with the product. But some posts on here sure dont seem like people who are "giving him 3 years". Many would obviously fire him yesterday if it was possible.
                    He gets three years, but I'm still going to call it like I see it. Probably doesn't help that I never liked the hire, but that doesn't change the fact that I want him to succeed. But again, there is absolutely nothing positive going on on the court to be excited about. You can put sugar on a turd but it's still just sugar coated ****. He has to change things. He has to do better. He doesn't get kid gloves because of some lame excuses that some people continue to throw out. He's the leader of this program now and he's accountable for the poor ass product we're all watching.

If year two sucks, he still gets three (at least) but I'm not going to make excuses for him. Things have to get better and they have to get better as soon as possible. The odds of anything getting better this year are slim to none. March and April will be interesting. I have no reason to be excited for it, but I hope it goes better than last spring where he brought in a bunch of guys that didn't really excite me and they haven't done much on the court.

I'm only judging him by what he's done, not what I hope he does. I think that's fair while some may not.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• There are a few things I'd like to point out, that I've been wanting to do for awhile.

Regarding the hiring of Mills vs the other coaches that were mostly talked about here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one (of those I remember) that was enticed away to a new gig was McCasland. The others (May, DeVries, a couple of others) all stayed at their current schools. What does that say about the environment at the time? Either the money wasn't there to lure them here, those coaches didn't look as good to other AD's as they did to us fans, or they didn't want to leave their current gig badly enough. Point is, the argument that ADKS didn't do his due diligence simply can't be backed up very well, if at all.

While the portal does allow for a quicker rebuild now than it used to, it's still true that 360+ programs were also hitting the portal. There was a LOT of competition for the better players, and we all knew we were not high on the pecking order. I have no reason to think Mills is oblivious to the shortcomings of Beverly, Cortes, DeGray, Germany, et al. Yes, teams like UNT and USF seem to have done well. But if their players were so highly considered, they probably wouldn't be at those schools. Kudos to them for assembling the talent they did. We'll see if they have lasting success. Hopefully Mills will do better moving forward.

The truth of the matter is that we don't have enough information to know if ADKS could have hired a better coach, or if we could have reasonably attract better players from the portal. As others have mentioned, there are many variables.

Comment

• I was initially on board with the hire but soured quickly and believe I was the first to outright say he wasn't the answer. His two HS signees seem encouraging but he has to have a pretty successful campaign to sign at least three quality portal guys maybe more if he can't keep our top 5-6 players. Therefore, going forward, I'll wait and see how he does recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

The truth of the matter is that we don't have enough information to know if ADKS could have hired a better coach.
                          Agree, we don't know if he could have, and we don't know if he tried to.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            There are a few things I'd like to point out, that I've been wanting to do for awhile.

Regarding the hiring of Mills vs the other coaches that were mostly talked about here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one (of those I remember) that was enticed away to a new gig was McCasland. The others (May, DeVries, a couple of others) all stayed at their current schools. What does that say about the environment at the time? Either the money wasn't there to lure them here, those coaches didn't look as good to other AD's as they did to us fans, or they didn't want to leave their current gig badly enough. Point is, the argument that ADKS didn't do his due diligence simply can't be backed up very well, if at all.

While the portal does allow for a quicker rebuild now than it used to, it's still true that 360+ programs were also hitting the portal. There was a LOT of competition for the better players, and we all knew we were not high on the pecking order. I have no reason to think Mills is oblivious to the shortcomings of Beverly, Cortes, DeGray, Germany, et al. Yes, teams like UNT and USF seem to have done well. But if their players were so highly considered, they probably wouldn't be at those schools. Kudos to them for assembling the talent they did. We'll see if they have lasting success. Hopefully Mills will do better moving forward.

The truth of the matter is that we don't have enough information to know if ADKS could have hired a better coach, or if we could have reasonably attract better players from the portal. As others have mentioned, there are many variables.
                            I think this is a level take. However, I will add that ADKS did not have to fire HCIB when he did, so it's tough to make the "this was the best he could do" argument when he put himself in the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I think this is a level take. However, I will add that ADKS did not have to fire HCIB when he did, so it's tough to make the "this was the best he could do" argument when he put himself in the situation.
                              And ultimately those things don't matter. Part of why we pay both the AD and Coach is to navigate those hurdles to success. They are graded on outcomes. The hurdles are always known.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Marshall had players who wanted to come when he left Winthrop. He told them no because he didn't think it was the right thing to do. He also wasn't very happy that Turgeon took Bowles to TAM who had committed to WSU.
                                That's fair. I still challenge that if I player WANTS to come, you bring them. That's just as noble as not actively recruiting them. The coach has a responsibility to both the other coaches and the players. So in that scenario, you are going to be undermining one of them with that decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X