No announcement yet.

Non conference scheduling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd say SIU would have made for a better game at Intrust due to being an old MVC rival, Of course, that may not have worked for the Salukis.

Speaking of, did we know they would be on the schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea .. my main comment was around the number of non-con home games, exhibition or not. Lower than previous years. Though probably a decent trade off to get some decent neutral games.
      So it will be 16 games for the season ticket package. Usually 17 or 18, but it seems like I remember a 16-game season ticket group at some point in the past, so not awful.

Not much marquee value for non-conference home games, but that's probably by design for this squad. Gotta get some confidence built before we get to the KC games and conference play.
      78-65

Comment

• This schedule is disgusting
        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Had an opportunity to play a little golf with a former WSU basketball player and had a few conversations about the old valley conference and the new AAC conference and recent changes. He said ADKS had told a "Group" of them that an emphasis to upgrading the pre conference schedule in ALL sports was being pushed to give each team a greater chance at an at large invite rather than hoping to win the conference tournament. This seems to go along with ADKS comments on Sports Daily he made recently. He also admitted that he stayed at home to watch lesser opponents games rather that drive across town to watch in person. He said these types of games held little appeal to players or recruits and knew of at least a couple of people who dropped their tickets because of it. So hopefully we will see fewer buy games that hold little to not interest. Go Shocks
          So much for this
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• I believe the schedule should improve going forward, with Mills working on the schedule.
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
              This schedule is disgusting
              I don't know about disgusting, but it's not sexy.

Lipsomb is a solid game
              Western Kentucky is a solid game
              Myrtle Beach is a solid tournament
              Norfolk State could be a solid game
              Richmond is a solid game
              Missouri is a good game
              South Dakota State could be a solid game
              SIU isn't much of a game
              KSU should be a good game
              KU is a good game

Schedule strength should be pretty solid. Name recognition for the average fan isn't much.

We should win our home games, but losing one or two isn't out of the realm of possibility. The games outside of Wichita could get unpleasant. I don't remember exactly how the MTE lines up.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I don't know about disgusting, but it's not sexy.

Lipsomb is a solid game
                Western Kentucky is a solid game
                Myrtle Beach is a solid tournament
                Norfolk State could be a solid game
                Richmond is a solid game
                Missouri is a good game
                South Dakota State could be a solid game
                SIU isn't much of a game
                KSU should be a good game
                KU is a good game

Schedule strength should be pretty solid. Name recognition for the average fan isn't much.

We should win our home games, but losing one or two isn't out of the realm of possibility. The games outside of Wichita could get unpleasant. I don't remember exactly how the MTE lines up.
                Yea .. its not awful. 3 P5 schools, a decent not great MTE, then a couple decent but not great mid majors in Richmond and Western Kentucky. Lipscomb has some decent history and obviously SIU we have history with. My only complaints in the extra non-D1 in Friends and the Intrust Game will likely be very lightly attended with us not being expected to be good and its not a high level opponent.

As a season ticket holder, I would have liked some better home games or maybe 1 or 2 more home games but that's just how these other multi year agreements have landed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  I believe the schedule should improve going forward, with Mills working on the schedule.
                  It will be interesting. He's historically used 3-4 non- D1 games as part of the regular season (not counting exhibitions). I don't think that will fly here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                    This schedule is disgusting
                    At first look, I agreed with you and still am not thrilled, but the numbers look a little better than I thought. I won't check all the Myrtle Beach ratings until I see the bracket released (should be any day now based on release of last two bracket releases for that event), but there are not any boat anchors with 200 or larger rankings at least based on last season.

OPPONENT KenPom NET
                    Lipscomb 153 147
                    Western Kentucky 173 169
                    Norfolk St 194 183
                    Richmond 150 160
                    Missouri 57 47
                    South Dakota St 174 162
                    Southern Illinois 139 122
                    Kansas State 21 19
                    Kansas 9 9
                    78-65

Comment

• Not sure how many of the games on the schedule were locked in prior to the current leadership. Seeing Friends on the schedule is a bit disappointing. It would be interesting to hear the story behind that. Just couldn't find anyone else? Had some kind of commitment to Friends to fulfill for some reason? HCPM just likes to use Non-D1 opponents for coaching reasons?

It remains to be seen how the scheduling will play out under HCPM and Kevin Saal. I think it is way too early to make any informed judgement on that.

Last year the Shockers schedule was ranked #161 against teams with an average NET ranking of 169.5. ORU's non-conference SOS last year was #24. So hopefully we will see some improvement moving forward.

Will have to wait and see how the current schedule plays out but based on last year's net rankings FWIW and using the average NET ranking from last year for the other 7 teams in the Myrtle Beach Invitational (129) as a proxy for those 3 games the previous year's average NET rankings for this year's schedule (excluding Friends of course) would be 112.7.

The 2 stinkers at Myrtle Beach based on last year's NET rankings are Coastal Carolina (293) and Wyoming (219). The other 5 teams averaged 78.2 in the NET ranging from 44 to 109.

As I said we'll have to see how things shake out this year, but this year's schedule has the potential to be a modest upgrade from last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Not sure how many of the games on the schedule were locked in prior to the current leadership. Seeing Friends on the schedule is a bit disappointing. It would be interesting to hear the story behind that. Just couldn't find anyone else? Had some kind of commitment to Friends to fulfill for some reason? HCPM just likes to use Non-D1 opponents for coaching reasons?

It remains to be seen how the scheduling will play out under HCPM and Kevin Saal. I think it is way too early to make any informed judgement on that.

Last year the Shockers schedule was ranked #161 against teams with an average NET ranking of 169.5. ORU's non-conference SOS last year was #24. So hopefully we will see some improvement moving forward.

Will have to wait and see how the current schedule plays out but based on last year's net rankings FWIW and using the average NET ranking from last year for the other 7 teams in the Myrtle Beach Invitational (129) as a proxy for those 3 games the previous year's average NET rankings for this year's schedule (excluding Friends of course) would be 112.7.

The 2 stinkers at Myrtle Beach based on last year's NET rankings are Coastal Carolina (293) and Wyoming (219). The other 5 teams averaged 78.2 in the NET ranging from 44 to 109.

As I said we'll have to see how things shake out this year, but this year's schedule has the potential to be a modest upgrade from last year.
                        I think HCPM "plays the numbers game" when it comes to SOS. As I mentioned above, every year I looked back through he had 3-4 non D1 Games on the schedule. Non-D1 games do not effect NET or SOS. They are are just in your record. They also provide you zero benefit from a resume standpoint. They eliminate opportunities for good wins which is really the primary thing that matters come March. So if he has his way, I'd expect Friends and others on the schedule multiple times every year.

Comment

• Oh, it's SOUTH DAKOTA State at IBA, not SAN DIEGO State. I was wondering why San Diego State at IBA was a bad game.

Should be plenty of good seats available at IBA.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I think HCPM "plays the numbers game" when it comes to SOS. As I mentioned above, every year I looked back through he had 3-4 non D1 Games on the schedule. Non-D1 games do not effect NET or SOS. They are are just in your record. They also provide you zero benefit from a resume standpoint. They eliminate opportunities for good wins which is really the primary thing that matters come March. So if he has his way, I'd expect Friends and others on the schedule multiple times every year.
                            Last year I believe WSU only played 12 non-con games so the 13th being a non-D1 team doesn't really bother me in a year where they aren't expected to make the NCAAT. Also, if there was a year to schedule multiple non-D1 teams it would be this one, but Friends is the only one (exhibition game notwithstanding). As such, I'm not sure HCPM intends to play Friends and others on the schedule multiple times every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Last year I believe WSU only played 12 non-con games so the 13th being a non-D1 team doesn't really bother me in a year where they aren't expected to make the NCAAT. Also, if there was a year to schedule multiple non-D1 teams it would be this one, but Friends is the only one. As such, I'm not sure HCPM intends to play Friends and others on the schedule multiple times every year.
                              I'm just going off the last 4 years of schedules at Oral Roberts. One doesn't bother me either .. especially this year. If we start getting multiple .. I won't be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Oh, it's SOUTH DAKOTA State at IBA, not SAN DIEGO State. I was wondering why San Diego State at IBA was a bad game.

Should be plenty of good seats available at IBA.
                                Last year, parts of the upper deck were closed for OSU. They legit might have to completely close the entire upper level for this one.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X