No announcement yet.

Non conference scheduling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the game .. but I'd like it more if the other 2 games (which should be Home and Home) were already scheduled. This just screams one off for KU on their "home" court in KC. Then we will get a bunch of bull as to why the rest of the 3 game series can't be scheduled.

Comment

• I will wait until all the details gets hammered out. I imagine that it will be KC, AFH, IBA in that order…and if either of the first two are within single digits, IBA gets mysteriously bought out.

Aside from it being against the most obnoxious fanbase known to the western world, I like this. This will be a clear measuring stick for as long as this series actually happens. We will know how good the Shockers are in comparison to the higher echelon of college hoops.

F*** KU!
      78-65

Comment

• I'm not interested. Got a text from my brother (KU fan) that he and my oldest niece (KU fan) along with a former co-worker of his (WSU fan) and his son (WSU fan) are going to try and get tickets. He seemed shocked when I told him I wasn't interested. He asked why and then took a while to respond to my reasoning.

As I've said many times over many years, this is a game I never cared if it was ever scheduled. I'd rather just face then in postseason. I'm definitely not spending the money for tickets and travel when I expect us to be bad. And it's not just KU. I wouldn't spend money to travel to watch this team play anyone right now. I'm selective about how I spend my disposable income and this isn't it. Especially when I've already canceled my vacation plans this year to save some money.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I'm not interested. Got a text from my brother (KU fan) that he and my oldest niece (KU fan) along with a former co-worker of his (WSU fan) and his son (WSU fan) are going to try and get tickets. He seemed shocked when I told him I wasn't interested. He asked why and then took a while to respond to my reasoning.

As I've said many times over many years, this is a game I never cared if it was ever scheduled. I'd rather just face then in postseason. I'm definitely not spending the money for tickets and travel when I expect us to be bad. And it's not just KU. I wouldn't spend money to travel to watch this team play anyone right now. I'm selective about how I spend my disposable income and this isn't it. Especially when I've already canceled my vacation plans this year to save some money.
          Man, Sub you’re normally right on but this line of thought is gonna lead to a 16,000 vs 2,000 fan split at T-Mo and prove them all right
          Last edited by Onegreatracer; June 6, 2023, 12:02 PM.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

Man, Sun you’re normally right on but this line of thought is gonna lead to a 16,000 vs 2,000 fan split at T-Mo and prove them all right
            I do my best not to throw my money at bad things. I don't have much hope for the coming season. I'd rather stay home and watch the ass kicking than spending the money on tickets and travel. I can use that money fir better things. Maybe I'll take what I would have spent and just donate it to the softball program. It would be better value.

I don't understand the idea of throwing a ton of money or support behind a bad product. And right now, I'm not expecting a very good product from the program this year. KU will have one of the best teams in the country and we won't even have one of the best teams in our conference.
            Last edited by SubGod22; June 6, 2023, 08:25 AM. Reason: Fixing phone grammar
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It DOES appear to be very convenient for Bill to be magnanimous… BUT if you have been hollering over the years for this game to happen, we’ll, you got your wish

Comment

• Wow - now they want to play??? With a 1st year coach at Wichita St? You got to be kidding me. OK Bill...we see you. Actually we always have. Goodness.

Oh well...throw the ball up...let's get it rolling......
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Like it or not, we're (us and the chickens) partnering on a historic medical community in downtown Wichita. Muma is leading the charge, but the chickens are obviously very involved. I’m not a big chicken fan, but this is a game-changer for my hometown and I’m not quite as anti-chicken as I once was. Ole Ross and I used to dream of the day when we could play and beat the chickens regularly, but unfortunately it was only a dream; Phog Allen wouldn’t play us.

Talk to me again Ross”, Ok, ole Ross says it’s good for both institutions to play the game (s) and partner on the game-changer in downtown Doo-Dah. Ross said he overheard the chicken Chancellor visiting with President Muma recently and they agreed our two institutions need to repair some wounds and learn to collaborate in the future; it benefits us both. Oops, Ross just started mumbling…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If a portion of ticket sales go to NIL, then it's not "pay to play", it's "pay to watch", which is pretty much exactly the definition of players benefiting from their name, image, or likeness.

Then the football schools with the gimungous TV contracts just give a portion of ticket sales to the NIL instead of to the players and the NIL gives it to the players. All the school has done is collect the money earmarked for NIL and give it to a collective to distribute as they see fit, with no input from the school.

If that happens WSU is likely relegated to second tier status. The P5's will be playing with Jrs, Srs, the top tier HS 4*'s and all the 5*'s, Everybody else will be playing with Fr, So's, and Jr's and Sr's not good enough to attract the attention of a P5 school.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Lol .. i'm waiting now for the 90/10 split of the collectives too.

Comment

• Okay? I'm kind of confused with this whole thing in some regards.

I do think it's good for a continued series, regardless. I have never bought the argument that KU has everything to lose and nothing to gain. They're KU...a blue blood and they will always be that. Which is fine. But I think it brings more intrigue for their fans during a regular-season game with us than it does bringing in a program like NDSU or Omaha (teams they both played at home last season). They play against an in-state rival who, yes, has had some troubled years, but also can provide some quality competition and over the past 10-15 years absolutely would be able to challenge them. If they lose, they're fine. They've clearly been successful after we beat then in '15.

It's a regional draw. It has the capability to be a national draw. There's little downside overall aside from KU alumni treating us like we're chopped liver. Whatever. I have more animus for KU alumni than I do with anyone associated with their athletic department.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Lol .. i'm waiting now for the 90/10 split of the collectives too.
                            I previously guessed 80/20. It definitely won't be close to equitable. I would think a 60/40 would be fair, acknowledging that KU has more fans in KC and NEKS, but I have a hard time believing that will happen.

The next question is, how much is to be made in general on a game like this, after expenses? 18,000 seats for basketball and it should be sold out. How much does it cost to book the arena? What would the average ticket price be? I've never attended an event there so I have no clue as to that.

When all is said and done, does Armchair end up with maybe $250K?
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It's all official

Go Shockers - Shockers, Jayhawks Agree to Regular Season Matchup in 2023

Head coach Paul Mills and Director of Athletics Kevin Saal announced today that Wichita State and Kansas have agreed to a regular season men's basketball game in 2023 at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City.

The game will be Dec. 30, 2023 and tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. CT on June 23 through the T-Mobile Center. Shocker ticket sections include 107-114 and 209-224. A pre-sale for 2023-24 men's basketball season ticket holders will take place June 20-22. The pre-sale links will be sent before June 20 to the email on file at the Shocker ticket office. Fans who have not renewed their season tickets will not be included in the pre-sale.

"We are appreciative and thankful to both the University of Kansas and the Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation for the opportunity to participate in this special event for both our men's basketball program and Shocker Nation," Saal said. "We've collaborated on this event these past many months and wish to express our gratitude to Travis Goff, Sean Lester and Bill Self with the University of Kansas and Kathy Nelson with the Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation. It has been over three decades since our institutions have met in the regular season and we look forward to a renewed relationship between our storied and tradition-rich programs."
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Hope the seats don't look like this...

Comment

Working...
                                X