Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
    As SL stated WSU Athletics was broke. I witnessed this in kc last fall when no band or cheerleaders made the trip. Some one or a group came up with the money to get this done. We may never know the back story but that won’t stop some from thinking they need to know every nuance of this event
    No team in KC brought their band. It was such a weird tournament. Played at weird times.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Perhaps Saal has been fundraising all fall/winter also. They did pay $10k or so to send spirit and band to Fort Worth. So hey....there is that lol.

And we are getting ready to go to Daytona in a couple weeks for Nationals. Although that was mostly from their own fundraising lol
      I had no doubt that people who were reporting financial pessimism or even worse, that finances were dire were being truthful. However, I always thought Saal was working at it, and while I have no knowledge of conversations, I can see a scenario where Saal tells the right donor(s) that he needs their help. And then the donor(s), said, if you make a move to another coach, I(We) will get the money together to make it happen.

WSU Financial movers and shakers have had meetings before to solve problems in the athletic department for decades. This isn’t new. But they want to see positive things happen from leadership (money not tossed down the drain) before they contribute. And believe me, there is plenty more where that money comes from.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

No team in KC brought their band. It was such a weird tournament. Played at weird times.
        And don’t remember WSU ever taking the band on a road trip except for during the post season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I'm very confused.

What did young folks see their parents go through?
          I'm assuming shaka khan is speaking about the attitude towards employment. Guessing the "young folks" saw their parents devote their working lives towards one company in the name of "loyalty," only to realize the company considers their long-term employment as a liability in lieu of younger employees who would do 70% of the work for 50% of the salary.

The sea-change in attitude about "loyalty" to a job occurred during the mass layoffs of the dot-com bust, and then exacerbated by the real estate market bust in the 08. Now, many employees see a job as a stepping stone, and rightfully so. Hard work goes unrealized. For the last 10 to 20 years the best way to advance in responsibilities and compensation is to change employers.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Grand Canyon did. Band, cheerleaders, dancers, and a bunch of students. The rest of the teams had local high school bands playing for them.

Comment

Grand Canyon brought band, cheer leaders, and dance team.

Oops, too slow typing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

Grand Canyon did. Band, cheerleaders, dancers, and a bunch of students. The rest of the teams had local high school bands playing for them.
                Oops. I didn’t remember that.

Comment

• Here’s a good question. Knowing Dusty May’s progress now to final four, if we knew that Dusty wanted the wichita state job, would you rather him or Mills?

For me personally, I’d rock Mills. He shows year over year improvement and comes from a more impressive coaching tree than May, but wanted to hear other thoughts

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                    Here’s a good question. Knowing Dusty May’s progress now to final four, if we knew that Dusty wanted the wichita state job, would you rather him or Mills?

For me personally, I’d rock Mills. He shows year over year improvement and comes from a more impressive coaching tree than May, but wanted to hear other thoughts
                    Never heard of May before this year

Comment

• May's hit with a few high transfers this year. His resources aren't many. He may be a one hit wonder.

Comment

• FAU also didn’t have to play a 1 seed or a 2 seed.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                          FAU also didn’t have to play a 1 seed or a 2 seed.
                          Yeah I thought they lucked out in that

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            May's hit with a few high transfers this year. His resources aren't many. He may be a one hit wonder.
                            Their only incoming transfer this offseason was Jalen Gaffney from UConn. This nucleus has been together for two years now.

Comment

• Everybody who ever won a championship had a couple breaks along the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Everybody who ever won a championship had a couple breaks along the way.
                                True, but FAU has some pretty big ones;

An 8/9 seed to not play a 1-seed has only happened one other time ever! That’s a hell of a big break.

The Tennessee team they beat was without their star PG. Granted, Tennessee won two previous games without him, but it’s still a big disadvantage to have.

If they make it to the championship, the lowest seed they could possibly see is a 2-seed, and a 3-seed of Texas loses. I get you can only play the teams in front of you and those other teams had to knock out those top seeds, but that’s pretty fortunate.

No big breaks against Memphis or KSU, so all the credit for those wins.

They keep winning and playing their game, so again, all credit for that. I just feel they are riding a pretty good wave of luck, opportunity and execution; it might just take them all the way to the title.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X