No announcement yet.

Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe Lutz is part of "the public is invited".
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
      Interesting article by TE today in talking about the leadership/coaching of Scott Drew. He and ksu coach Tang talked about being a "Servant Leader". This is a term I was unfamiliar with but it sounds more like a term that would be applicable to a sense of a more spiritual level of dealing with others. Apparently this would seem that the coach sees himself as a servant to his players, staff and community. Not a perspective that I am familiar with but it seems to have been successful at Baylor and is instilled in the assistant coaches as well. So I am all on board if this is successful here. I'm sure there are many others more familiar with the term than I am but I just thought it an interesting perspective. And yes those of you more familiar with the term can look at me as just a little better than a pagan. Go Shocks
      Jesus himself was a servant leader and preached about this way of living. It is the ultimate way of life in every aspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Jesus himself was a servant leader and preached about this way of living. It is the ultimate way of life in every aspect.
        While I am not a church going man, I consider myself a Christian and love the fact that HCPM speaks of God as well as promote morals into the players.
        I saw one kid (forgot his name) that WSU has offered for the class of 24. He appears to be very religious by his posts. His dad is pushing wake forest, but can HCPM influence this kid and his dad? Probably.

Comment

• Listening to PM on Sports Daily if you missed it, he said he wants people at Wichita State who are committed to Wichita State and want to be here.

Said those meetings will take place Monday.

I’m guessing if Kenny or JW decide they want to stay in the portal, they will not be coming back. He made it pretty clear he wants people committed to WSU and not themselves.

Comment

• For those that didn't, or don't want to, listen to Sports Daily this morning. This right here just added to my excitement. Mills truly does get it! I am going to dictate (almost word for word) the question and Mills' response.

TOMMY: Coach, the Shocker fanbase is a very passionate one. And this city is better when Shocker basketball is at it's peak. I've been here for a long time. I've seen Shocker basketball down in the depths and then I've seen it at the very summit of the mountain with the Final Four run, undefeated seasons and things like that. I've always believed, and we have talked about it on this show and would love to get your thoughts on it, that as far as uniting a fanbase that the worst possible thing is apathy. They can be unhappy, but as long as they care they will continue to support the program and want to see it pointed in the right direction. You have to avoid that apathy, right? So what kind of responsibility do YOU feel as far as connecting and uniting the fanbase, bringing the Shocker community together and ultimately elevating that brand?

COACH MILLS: When I talk about a program, the first thing I mention is being united. I mean, everybody can tell that there's a group of people who are working towards a common goal. It's not that difficult to see if there's cliques, and people who are on board versus people who aren't on board. So unity is the name of the game in my opinion. Especially when you are dealing with this kind of competitive environment and inside of a team. I do understand what high level basketball can do for communities. I love the movie Hoosiers for just that reason. It's something that rallied the town. And obviously went outside the boarders of that particular town and city and spread. So I get it, I've seen it happen up close at several institutions that I've been at. And I think it's important and there's a responsibility. But people when they watch, I just know, I sit up in the stands sometimes and just...if I was in this seat in section 104 and I was watching a game what would I want to see? People want to see exactly that and they don't want to see apathy. And if you could get an ignited group your gonna see that. I had a professor who would say "If you'll act like your hair is on fire, people will come around to watch you burn". And people wanna see it so you wanna display it. I think for the most part you have to see a representation of what they value on the court. And if they see that they get behind it.

The bolded part at the end is why I truly think ticket sales will increase quickly. Obviously winning is the biggest thing. But I know almost all of us mentioned the lack of emotion and how it spread to those in the stands.

As long as this team comes out and gives it all, works their ass off and the coach does the same. This community will rally behind that.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              The presser was handled in typical ADKS style. Well organized and started exactly on time. As to reading about the relationship that seems to be building between ADKS and HCPM it is obvious that KS is a very organized man and has a clear vision of what he wants and how to go about it. PM has a commanding voice that holds your attention and I believe will indeed ingratiate himself to all the people of Wichita State. Saw several SN members and one (SB) told me he was going to the ticket office to see what his options would be for tickets. He was actually smiling and seemed upbeat which was nice to see because he has been nothing but a dark cloud lately. Again I want to thank whoever gave up their seats last year so that I can now enjoy them. I mentioned this to Signman and he too took advantage of improving his seats and said last year was "a buyers market". But I digress. Really like the hire and I see nothing but an upward trend with our AD and HBBC working together. Go Shocks
              Coach Mills would describe ADKS as "more organized than crime". That's what he said about his DOBO in the Tulsa interview that was posted yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

You and I are in the same boat. I can still walk well but you can add floaters and ghosts. Love the atmosphere, seeing old friends, etc but as for watching the games can't beat my basement man cave with big wet bar, comfy recliner and 85" TV
                Nothing wrong with that. I am right there with you and Aargh with the ailments that seem to befall us after our warranty expires at about age 70. Still there are good ways to support the program financially without buying season tickets including the funding the NIL funds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  I believe Lutz is part of "the public is invited".
                  Finally a title he is qualified to own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Finally a title he is qualified to own.
                    Might need to drop the "l" in the part I put in quotes.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                      I'm excited to be excited again about WSU basketball.
                      I don't know that I am quite to the excited part yet, but I am certainly more optimistic about the chances of being excited with Coach Mills at the helm. And I hope he exceeds our expectations as is his state goal. I am certainly more willing to part with what few extra bucks I have laying around to help make this happen. Although my financial contributions were be relatively minor.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

And, of course, our political leaders practice this extensively. Or am I thinking of some other group.

Comment

• Just received a robo call, recorded message, from HCPM. Said how excited to be part of Shocker Nation and go get tickets. Nice touch!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            How Wichita State conducted basketball coaching search that led to Paul Mills

I'm in no way suggesting Mills wasn't the right hire, but I do find this curious:

I can't help but wonder what other coaches were interested.
                            Going by who's in the tournament (or who was in the tournament at the time the quote was given), I'm guessing it was a bunch of assistant coaches for the teams remaining. We know of Sampson, but I'm guessing there are others.

Of the head coaches, maybe Dusty May? But I doubt it. That's really the only HC of the S16 teams I could possibly see.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              Just received a robo call, recorded message, from HCPM. Said how excited to be part of Shocker Nation and go get tickets. Nice touch!
                              I got it too. I already have tickets but if I didn't I would go get some. We are headed in the right direction again.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                                Just received a robo call, recorded message, from HCPM. Said how excited to be part of Shocker Nation and go get tickets. Nice touch!
                                I haven't gotten one, but I demand a personal call, not a recorded one. I'm important damnit! :)
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X