Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proper spacing defined, (oops, wrong thread)...





    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
      Man, as much as I love the Marshall era (and the FVV era), saying spacing was great with those teams compared to those Houston teams (and even the NBA as a whole) is...something. Spacing in the NBA is light years ahead of the college game, partially due to the players being better, and partially due to the information being better.
      Agreed 100%. The NBA is better at everything. That's why I referenced the Raptors as a better model for proper spacing. Harden detractors are not rare, for obvious reasons. Just look at the Sixers this past Spring. About the same as the Rockets circa 3-4 years ago.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

        Oh blow it your a** dingleberry. Those James Harden Rocket led teams had good, don't know about 'incredible,' spacing, but just not when it counted the most. Just to let you know, that would be the playoffs. E-V-E-R.

        The last player any teacher should reference when educating players on the right way to play the game would a cheeseburger eatin', slacking on D (if any at all), taking step back 3's, turnover machine when the game is on the line, like Larden. I think you get my point. I'm sure the Coach means well...
        I see someone listened to Rome today....with the Larden reference.....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Man, as much as I love the Marshall era (and the FVV era), saying spacing was great with those teams compared to those Houston teams (and even the NBA as a whole) is...something. Spacing in the NBA is light years ahead of the college game, partially due to the players being better, and partially due to the information being better.
          I say the spacing is better in the NBA because you never have to worry about anybody attempting to set a screen.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

            Oh blow it your a** dingleberry. Those James Harden Rocket led teams had good, don't know about 'incredible,' spacing, but just not when it counted the most. Just to let you know, that would be the playoffs. E-V-E-R.

            The last player any teacher should reference when educating players on the right way to play the game would a cheeseburger eatin', slacking on D (if any at all), taking step back 3's, turnover machine when the game is on the line, like Larden. I think you get my point. I'm sure the Coach means well...

            you're a fiesty son a gun, god bless ya

            The reference HCPM was making is in regards to the spacing & schemes D'Antoni used for those Harden teams. You're just looking at it through a different lense.

            Now please excuse me, but I have to go blow somethings out of my ass

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Man, as much as I love the Marshall era (and the FVV era), saying spacing was great with those teams compared to those Houston teams (and even the NBA as a whole) is...something. Spacing in the NBA is light years ahead of the college game, partially due to the players being better, and partially due to the information being better.
              I remember the spacing during FVV and Ron’s era as being very good. Fred and Ron made sure of it. Watch the F4 games again, and our 34-1 year’s games with Kentucky or our S16 KU game or the final year’s game when we defeated Arizona. When we had offensive problems, it wasn’t because of spacing. It usually was because our inside post players weren’t as good as theirs. We often had 6’7 post players or 6’10 post players who were not very good.

              I’m not comparing our team to Houston because that’s just a “fools errand” and a waste of time. I could care less about Houston and the NBA, except now that Fred is there.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

                I think you're forgetting he's the best pure scorer of this generation while he averaged double digit assists with the spacing Mike D'antoni had in those offenses. Very similar to the 7SOL Suns spacing wise.

                Nobody was getting out of the west with GSW there and they got the closest out of anybody.

                Why do we care about how Mills gets his message (Houst Rockets are an example) across to his players as long as the players are impressed, listening, and buying into his system.

                Comment


                • I’m just glad the “dawgs be dawgs” era is over.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Proper spacing defined, (oops, wrong thread)...





                    Most impressive

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Shockm View Post

                      Why do we care about how Mills gets his message (Houst Rockets are an example) across to his players as long as the players are impressed, listening, and buying into his system.
                      Nobody cares; it's Summertime chatter, but HCPM could have referenced a better 'era' for sure. Harden detractors are numerous for a reason. You can be sure that the Rockets wouldn't take him back into the organization for free if given the chance. It appears the modern era Clippers wouldn't/won't either.

                      Let's all hope when HCPM shares footage of how an offense works through a 'high post' that he uses footage of The Joker and not Embid, for obvious reasons. And definitely no Russel Westbrook. Accentuate winners...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

                        Nobody cares; it's Summertime chatter, but HCPM could have referenced a better 'era' for sure. Harden detractors are numerous for a reason. You can be sure that the Rockets wouldn't take him back into the organization for free if given the chance. It appears the modern era Clippers wouldn't/won't either.

                        Let's all hope when HCPM shares footage of how an offense works through a 'high post' that he uses footage of The Joker and not Embid, for obvious reasons. And definitely no Russel Westbrook. Accentuate winners...
                        He didn’t reference them. Mills didn’t say the Rockets were the best team at spacing, from what I read. According to the players, Mills showed them video when the Rockets (other teams too probably) showed successful spacing, and said this is how you do it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Shockm View Post

                          Mills has an interesting approach. It will be interesting to how his approaches will work with his teams. It just might give an edge to the team over others, and is certainly the future. I'm willing to give him a chance to prove it works here at Wichita State.

                          How coach Paul Mills is getting Wichita State basketball players to buy in with analytics

                          Mills and his staff are more analytically-driven than most, which made for an adjustment period for many of the players. “It’s definitely been a learning curve, but he’s a really good teacher,” Miami transfer Harlond Beverly said. “I feel like all of us have already been able to learn something, so I can only imagine how much we will learn throughout the year with him.” To avoid making his players feel like they’re trapped in a classroom listening to him drone on about advanced analytics, Mills tries to incorporate video clips and graphics to drive home his ultimate point. He doesn’t want his players thinking about numbers while they’re playing; he wants the numbers to help ingrain habits during practice that will carry over to the games. Instead of always showing his players past clips of his Oral Roberts teams, Mills likes finding examples in the NBA to show his players the concept being performed at the highest level of play. “There’s a lot more talk about analytics and stats,” WSU returner Isaac Abidde said. “The learning process is different, but it’s helped me a lot. I’m just a fan of learning and I love learning about the game of basketball, so I’m just trying to soak everything up.” The focus during this late July practice was properly spacing the floor during transition and Mills had compiled clips of the James Harden-era Houston Rockets to emphasize his point.

                          Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

                          https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...278225138.html

                          I gave you the link to this local article, but If you can't access it, you'll have to do your own research, but this is the jist of the article.
                          Mills article for non eagle subscribers:
                          https://news.yahoo.com/coach-paul-mi...ycsrp_catchall
                          Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

                          Comment


                          • Taking absolutely nothing from the "defensive" minded ridiculously AWESOME GM years...but PM very much seems like an offensive minded coach. Very much.

                            I'm excited to see this new era...but would very much like to also see a lockdown defense.......at least when needed if you know what I mean.

                            I know you can't necessarily have both...but that Roundhouse gets super LOUD for good-ass D!!!! Be cool to see some smooth operative ball movement getting buckets...but super cool to lock it down when in need. Like when making comebacks from being down when the shots aren't falling.

                            Go SHOCKS!!!!!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

                            NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

                            NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

                            AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

                            Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

                            Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Shockm View Post

                              Mills has an interesting approach. It will be interesting to how his approaches will work with his teams. It just might give an edge to the team over others, and is certainly the future. I'm willing to give him a chance to prove it works here at Wichita State.

                              How coach Paul Mills is getting Wichita State basketball players to buy in with analytics

                              Mills and his staff are more analytically-driven than most, which made for an adjustment period for many of the players. “It’s definitely been a learning curve, but he’s a really good teacher,” Miami transfer Harlond Beverly said. “I feel like all of us have already been able to learn something, so I can only imagine how much we will learn throughout the year with him.” To avoid making his players feel like they’re trapped in a classroom listening to him drone on about advanced analytics, Mills tries to incorporate video clips and graphics to drive home his ultimate point. He doesn’t want his players thinking about numbers while they’re playing; he wants the numbers to help ingrain habits during practice that will carry over to the games. Instead of always showing his players past clips of his Oral Roberts teams, Mills likes finding examples in the NBA to show his players the concept being performed at the highest level of play. “There’s a lot more talk about analytics and stats,” WSU returner Isaac Abidde said. “The learning process is different, but it’s helped me a lot. I’m just a fan of learning and I love learning about the game of basketball, so I’m just trying to soak everything up.” The focus during this late July practice was properly spacing the floor during transition and Mills had compiled clips of the James Harden-era Houston Rockets to emphasize his point.

                              Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

                              https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...278225138.html

                              I gave you the link to this local article, but If you can't access it, you'll have to do your own research, but this is the jist of the article.
                              Good of you to give him a chance...he's sleeping better now....:)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

                                Good of you to give him a chance...he's sleeping better now....:)
                                I take it that you're on the side to not give him a chance, since you are ridiculing that statement? If so, I was speaking to you rather than he.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X