Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
    License plate thing was an interesting way for him to say he cares about the history of the program, but I found it a bit corny. One thing I took away from the videos of him speaking was that it's nice to have a coach who has a personality again.
    As someone who wasn't overwhelmed with the choice of Mills (still in the honeymoon phase) I thought the license plate gesture was a nod to the future, to those with a discerning eye. I applaud the move.

Comment

• I think it could be deadly on offense, just worry about the defensive side. Hard for either of them to guard an athletic 6'6" wing.

Comment

• Exactly why I said you would have to play some sort of zone defense

Comment

• WSU may or may not be good this season, but it is sure refreshing to hear someone legitimate basketball thinking, strategy, and philosophy coming from this staff.
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            Exactly why I said you would have to play some sort of zone defense
            Very few teams built on zone defense actually win these days in modern basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Very few teams built on zone defense actually win these days in modern basketball.
              Agree, but the zone could be limited to when two bigs are in at the same time

Comment

• I didn’t think it would work last year because none of our bigs could guard a 4 man. Hopefully Germany can do that, Kenny is just too slow footed on defense to guard a perimeter playing power forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

Agree, but the zone could be limited to when two bigs are in at the same time
                  Hopefully that would be for short periods of time, but it could work, if not depended on as the foundation.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    I'll just put this here since Mills is a big part of the article...

Could Wichita State basketball play two centers at once? Why players believe it's possible (msn.com)
                    Yes, since Kenny P., and Germany could be two of our three best players, they are the best 4 and 5 we can put on the floor IMO. Colby Rogers is also a top 3 Shocker this Season it seems to me. A much too early article on the net predicted the Shocks should end up around 5th in the AAC this coming Season. We shall see. I'm still hoping for another point guard signing if we could sign a good one for this Season. I'm wondering if we are still interested in a recruit in Greece?
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

Yes, since Kenny P., and Germany could be two of our three best players, they are the best 4 and 5 we can put on the floor IMO. Colby Rogers is also a top 3 Shocker this Season it seems to me. A much too early article on the net predicted the Shocks should end up around 5th in the AAC this coming Season. We shall see. I'm still hoping for another point guard signing if we could sign a good one for this Season. I'm wondering if we are still interested in a recruit in Greece?
                      It's actually kind of crazy how many quality players are still in the transfer portal. WSU definitely has options.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        I'll just put this here since Mills is a big part of the article...

Could Wichita State basketball play two centers at once? Why players believe it's possible (msn.com)
                        In this article, he mentions the skills necessary for both to play at the same time.

He doesn't believe it matters if Pohto or Germany is the power forward or center if they can both pass, rebound, cut, defend, screen and play the type of basketball the first-year coach is looking for — even if they have played almost exclusively as their team's center in their college careers.

One of those skills mentioned was if the big men could both defend. We all agree that the defending is the "KEY" question for 7' bigs who are defending against smaller people, out on the perimeter. If they can do that, I know that Kenny has the other skills mentioned by Mills.

Comment

• Heartfire's D reminded me of the difference playing as if your hair is on fire can be to cause 20 turnovers and ignite your offense. Not sure if HCPM switches D from man to man to various zones often or not. If Germany and KP can both defend well without getting in foul trouble, they would be feasible to be on the floor often together. KP began working well the 2nd half of the Season on offense with accurate passes for assists with minimal turnovers. The twin tower option will be common this Season it seems.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                            Heartfire's D reminded me of the difference playing as if your hair is on fire can be to cause 20 turnovers and ignite your offense. Not sure if HCPM switches D from man to man to various zones often or not. If Germany and KP can both defend well without getting in foul trouble, they would be feasible to be on the floor often together. KP began working well the 2nd half of the Season on offense with accurate passes for assists with minimal turnovers. The twin tower option will be common this Season it seems.
                            It sure does seem that way "forever". It'll be nice seeing a couple trees in the line-up playing at the same time from time to time. Maybe we'll get really good at it and that will be our sauce this coming season pushing us to finish line for another March Madness!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• We need 4 trees and a super smart, pass master dwarf.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X