No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could go for a TE recruitment tweet right about now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

March 31
      Maybe he's smart enough to think ahead and knows how many classes he needed to drop to take summer classes and remain eligible. I question whether we would want him anyway, but If not, we for sure don't want him.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

The average new head coach went 14-18 last year, in the transfer and NIL era. Second year coaches improved to 16-16. Even if you recruit the portal well, first year head coaches are still at a disadvantage in developing a culture and system. Combine that with having to rebuild, rather than only rebuilding in bad years, and not having fully developed recruiting networks. There are still plenty of reasons to look beyond wins and losses in year one.

Be honest. What are the outsider expectations for this team, at least as its currently constructed? Will KenPom have us starting in the top 100? Will we be picked top four in the conference? All I want in year one is to beat those expectations and show progress, no matter how low that sets the bar.

And as mentioned, I'm prepared for the bar to be set particularly low. I have not been happy with this transition; Paul Mills was not my top pick for coach. I am willing to give him a year of grace, but the roster I see has one starter and a bad bench. I wouldn't start talking about bids even if each and every remaining scholarship landed us a decent starter; I just don't see it as realistic or helpful.
        This is a good take. I posted a while back that this team would likely have a worse record than the previous team. Many posters thought that I was shitting on Mills. I’m not. Just being real about how Mills is starting from basically zero and while he can use the portal to rebuild, so can 352 other schools. If the team is playing better at the end of the season than the beginning then I’ll consider it a big success.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Conference is better than 70% of D1

NIL should be a strong point

Fan support definite selling point

No football so you are big man on campus if you are good.

Yes History is a selling point.
          Conference status is nearly non-existent. We can't claim to be "Power 6" anymore after losing two of the conferences top brands, and bringing in a bunch of schools that are perceived as mid-majors at best with little history. No one is jumping on board because they want to play Rice. The perception of the conference matters much more to recruits than metrics.

Fan support at 50% or less of arena capacity. We haven't filled a student section in years. We still have 40 years old in the front row on their phones calling themselves the "screaming idiots". Not having football is probably a detriment because students want that experience. Even if they're not being compared against football stars, it doesn't matter because our student support is still low.

NIL might be a selling point. Haven't really seen it yet so hard to consider that as such. NIL didn't land us our top recruit. Instead, he went to a larger program, in a better conference, at a school that can provide a real college experience, even after we supposedly had a larger NIL offer.

History isn't a selling point for a staff that had nothing to do with that history. What recruit would care that we went to a final four ten years ago, haven't really got close to achieving the same thing in the last 6 years, with an entirely different staff?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

On the topic of "typical college experience", WSU is far closer to that today than it has ever been in the past. The school, campus, and area surrounding has drastically changed since Bardo laid the plans. I'm going to say that today it is not THAT far off from average in that context as far as non-football schools go.
            Agree with this, but I don't think that's an immediate recruiting tool.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Conference status is nearly non-existent. We can't claim to be "Power 6" anymore after losing two of the conferences top brands, and bringing in a bunch of schools that are perceived as mid-majors at best with little history. No one is jumping on board because they want to play Rice. The perception of the conference matters much more to recruits than metrics.

Fan support at 50% or less of arena capacity. We haven't filled a student section in years. We still have 40 years old in the front row on their phones calling themselves the "screaming idiots". Not having football is probably a detriment because students want that experience. Even if they're not being compared against football stars, it doesn't matter because our student support is still low.

NIL might be a selling point. Haven't really seen it yet so hard to consider that as such. NIL didn't land us our top recruit. Instead, he went to a larger program, in a better conference, at a school that can provide a real college experience, even after we supposedly had a larger NIL offer.

History isn't a selling point for a staff that had nothing to do with that history. What recruit would care that we went to a final four ten years ago, haven't really got close to achieving the same thing in the last 6 years, with an entirely different staff?
              Why the f*** are you a fan then?!?!
              The Assman

Comment

• NO excuses. 20 W's and at least 3-4 place. NIT. I think Beverly will be a player. Possibly Cortes, as well. Need KP and either two 3* or one 4*. The thought of Vanover at center and KP at PF excites me. Getting those two would make getting an established PG easier or perhaps another shooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Why the f*** are you a fan then?!?!
                  Punishment.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Punishment.
                    That's fair
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                      Could go for a TE recruitment tweet right about now.
                      This. It’s like we’ve all become cannibals, snapping and eating at each other because we’ve got no news. After having had a strong news pipeline with an excellent reporter, it’s really disjarring to suddenly not…

Id have to think TE is pretty frustrated himself being shut out, unless he knows more and is being told not to say anything, which also sucks…

Comment

• I guess it's time now where all the supposed insiders with hot **** news a few weeks ago can tell everyone what that hot **** news was supposed to be.
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                          I guess it's time now where all the supposed insiders with hot **** news a few weeks ago can tell everyone what that hot **** news was supposed to be.
                          Football is coming back.

Comment

Football is coming back.

Comment

Football is coming back.
                              If only
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                                Could go for a TE recruitment tweet right about now.

F

Comment

Working...
                                X