The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Don’t know about you all, but if I stopped going to classes after spring break, I probably wouldn’t pass my classes. I guess he not only has to face the 2nd transfer challenge, but also maybe has an eligibility challenge.
    I imagine most classes athletes sign up for these days have online "instructional method" (https://www.wichita.edu/services/reg...planations.php). Otherwise, depending on the schedule, one can probably make things up in summer school at the new school.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

I imagine most classes athletes sign up for these days have online "instructional method" (https://www.wichita.edu/services/reg...planations.php). Otherwise, depending on the schedule, one can probably make things up in summer school at the new school.
      Not every class is offered online. The ones that are, a good majority of them still require you to take the final in person.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Not every class is offered online. The ones that are, a good majority of them still require you to take the final in person.
        What is the "drop class" deadline, and has that happened in some or all classes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

What is the "drop class" deadline, and has that happened in some or all classes?
          March 31
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Gregg Marshall took over in 2007. Its 2023. You can't make any comparisons between the two. There was no NIL, there was no transfer portal. Setting the expectation that it's ok to lose 17-20 games the first two years will only prolong the pain. You have crappy seasons, the good players are going to bounce. If you are unable to replace them with good players, its a self fulfilling cycle.

Yet again, you set your expectations as low as you want for the program. I do not agree that next year "has to be a near total write off" ... its only a write off if the new coaching staff fails at recruiting the portal. They have 4 scholarships left to avoid that fate. They have 3 years total to make sure the self fulfilling cycle doesn't happen.
            The average new head coach went 14-18 last year, in the transfer and NIL era. Second year coaches improved to 16-16. Even if you recruit the portal well, first year head coaches are still at a disadvantage in developing a culture and system. Combine that with having to rebuild, rather than only rebuilding in bad years, and not having fully developed recruiting networks. There are still plenty of reasons to look beyond wins and losses in year one.

Be honest. What are the outsider expectations for this team, at least as its currently constructed? Will KenPom have us starting in the top 100? Will we be picked top four in the conference? All I want in year one is to beat those expectations and show progress, no matter how low that sets the bar.

And as mentioned, I'm prepared for the bar to be set particularly low. I have not been happy with this transition; Paul Mills was not my top pick for coach. I am willing to give him a year of grace, but the roster I see has one starter and a bad bench. I wouldn't start talking about bids even if each and every remaining scholarship landed us a decent starter; I just don't see it as realistic or helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

The average new head coach went 14-18 last year, in the transfer and NIL era. Second year coaches improved to 16-16. Even if you recruit the portal well, first year head coaches are still at a disadvantage in developing a culture and system. Combine that with having to rebuild, rather than only rebuilding in bad years, and not having fully developed recruiting networks. There are still plenty of reasons to look beyond wins and losses in year one.

Be honest. What are the outsider expectations for this team, at least as its currently constructed? Will KenPom have us starting in the top 100? Will we be picked top four in the conference? All I want in year one is to beat those expectations and show progress, no matter how low that sets the bar.

And as mentioned, I'm prepared for the bar to be set particularly low. I have not been happy with this transition; Paul Mills was not my top pick for coach. I am willing to give him a year of grace, but the roster I see has one starter and a bad bench. I wouldn't start talking about bids even if each and every remaining scholarship landed us a decent starter; I just don't see it as realistic or helpful.
              The average new coach is not at a program the level of WSU ..The average new coach doesn't have the selling points of WSU

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                It's fairly obvious that things aren't going perfectly. About a month ago at least one of the coaches hinted to Tyler Eldridge that the roster could have been rounded out by the following week, and that clearly has not happened. My guess (as has been oft repeated by others on here) is that they thought they could maybe get Abmas, and that would be the tipping point for some others.

The summary is that things have not gone perfectly. The good news is that things seldom do. Lets see how Paul Mills can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.
                That is not a summary. It is an ASSUMPTION by SN that things haven't gone perfectly. We have no idea what HCPM plan is and I am ok not knowing that. It is our rush to judgment and assumption that things are going poorly.

Comment

The average new coach is not at a program the level of WSU ..The average new coach doesn't have the selling points of WSU
                  Those new coaches included 14-18 Butler, 16-17 Florida, 16-16 Georgia, 4-28 Louisville, 14-19 LSU, 17-16 Seton Hall, 10-22 SMU, and 17-17 Villanova.

Are you saying we have more past success than Florida or Villanova's multiple championships? More money than three SEC teams? A better conference than the Big East?

Comment

And what selling points do you think puts WSU in a good position to get a tournament caliber team in year 1 of a new coach?

Conference? Nope.
                    NIL? Maybe, but likely not for everyone.
                    A typical college experience? Nope.
                    History? Sure, but none of that matters with a new coaching staff.

Comment

• Paul Mills taking it easy...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

And what selling points do you think puts WSU in a good position to get a tournament caliber team in year 1 of a new coach?

Conference? Nope.

Conference is better than 70% of D1

NIL should be a strong point

Fan support definite selling point

No football so you are big man on campus if you are good.

Yes History is a selling point.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Those new coaches included 14-18 Butler, 16-17 Florida, 16-16 Georgia, 4-28 Louisville, 14-19 LSU, 17-16 Seton Hall, 10-22 SMU, and 17-17 Villanova.

Are you saying we have more past success than Florida or Villanova's multiple championships? More money than three SEC teams? A better conference than the Big East?
                          and most all of those coaches will likely be fired in 3 years

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Regarding the schedule, this happens every year. The school will release the non-con schedule only once everything is finalized, so TE tries to get info in advance on what they do have scheduled.
                            No! This is HCPM and ADKS fault. They are being mean!

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
                              Can we let IB recruit and Mills coach ? Rogers/Walton/Pierre/Rojas/Okafor class looking pretty salty
                              Please God no!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

Conference? Nope.
                                On the topic of "typical college experience", WSU is far closer to that today than it has ever been in the past. The school, campus, and area surrounding has drastically changed since Bardo laid the plans. I'm going to say that today it is not THAT far off from average in that context as far as non-football schools go.

Comment

Working...
                                X