No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I firmly believe that getting a waiver is just a matter of having the right counsel. Which is why we never get them.

KU's Deputy Athletic Director is an attorney and also Senior Associate General Counsel.

* sigh *
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Vanover, the 7'5" guy from ORU would need a waiver, so we may as well stop considering him.

Speaking of not hearing anything - Either Mills is not the only guy keeping his mouth shut or there is virtually no interest in Pierre or Pohto.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Vanover, the 7'5" guy from ORU would need a waiver, so we may as well stop considering him.

Speaking of not hearing anything - Either Mills is not the only guy keeping his mouth shut or there is virtually no interest in Pierre or Pohto.
        He's a literal 7 and 1/2 footer. Do you really stop considering? Just make him a walk-on and promise him extra NIL to make up for it. Problem solved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Vanover, the 7'5" guy from ORU would need a waiver, so we may as well stop considering him.

He could be a grad transfer.

Comment

• Vanover would be a grad transfer, but he also played in the Portsmouth event that Craig recently played in so he would likely have a suspension to start next season. Courtney Ramey played in the event last year before deciding to return to school and got a 3 game suspension.

Comment

• It's possible that one of the reasons recruiting is going a little slow (in some posters opinions) is that players in the portal are shopping NIL deals and aren't going to make up their minds until they have checked out every opportunity. That would include opportunities from schools that haven't even contacted them yet.

From the various reports about whether or not WSU was still involved with Abmas, it appears that at one point WSU had the high bid and KSU was out. Then Texas made an offer that WSU couldn't match. There are going to be A LOT of players looking for offers that won't be there.

I had names of former Shox in my hypothesis, but decided to go with a hypotheticals instead.

Player A sees Player B getting $250K, going to a tourney team and setting himself up for an NBA tryout. Then Player A thinks he should be worth at least $100K and deserves that opportunity for a season where he's an NBA prospect. The reality is that Player A is probably a $20K guy. He's going to stay in the portal looking for that big payday that isn't going to happen.

Player A is likely to land somewhere late in the recruiting process and may have an attitude about his new school because they didn't give him what he thought they should. In that case, fans may not want Player A on their team.
              Last edited by Aargh; May 4, 2023, 01:48 AM.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Again, if someone is going to go to the highest bidder, he's not the type of guy we want.

I don't think Max choosing Texas had anything to do with who was willing to pay the most. Texas made much more sense on a number of other levels.

Sure, if a couple of programs offer similar situations and you're struggling to choose, maybe the dollar amount does sway you, but I really doubt that all of these players are simply trying to find the most money. Say what you want, but a lot of these kids aren't stupid enough to just follow money. They still want to play. They still want to win. They still want to set themselves up to potentially play professionally.

I'm not saying NIL doesn't matter, but it's not the one and only thing that does. If it's the top priority for a player, I'd pass right there and move on to someone else that can make some money for themselves but still actually cares about more than just $$$. If it's all about money, the basketball will suffer.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Again, if someone is going to go to the highest bidder, he's not the type of guy we want.

I don't think Max choosing Texas had anything to do with who was willing to pay the most. Texas made much more sense on a number of other levels.

Sure, if a couple of programs offer similar situations and you're struggling to choose, maybe the dollar amount does sway you, but I really doubt that all of these players are simply trying to find the most money. Say what you want, but a lot of these kids aren't stupid enough to just follow money. They still want to play. They still want to win. They still want to set themselves up to potentially play professionally.

I'm not saying NIL doesn't matter, but it's not the one and only thing that does. If it's the top priority for a player, I'd pass right there and move on to someone else that can make some money for themselves but still actually cares about more than just $$$. If it's all about money, the basketball will suffer.
                  I guess I don't understand as the kid why you wouldn't want to go after the most money you can get.

Comment

• Paralysis of Analysis. Maybe it's simple, and Texas is his dream school, who he always wanted to play for. Who'd have thunk that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Paralysis of Analysis. Maybe it's simple, and Texas is his dream school, who he always wanted to play for. Who'd have thunk that?
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Paralysis of Analysis. Maybe it's simple, and Texas is his dream school, who he always wanted to play for. Who'd have thunk that?
                        He's from Texas too

Comment

• I'm just glad HCPM respects the annual WSU tradition of pinning hope on a longshot waiver from the NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                            I'm just glad HCPM respects the annual WSU tradition of pinning hope on a longshot waiver from the NCAA.
                            The more things change...
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• nm

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

I guess I don't understand as the kid why you wouldn't want to go after the most money you can get.
                                Because not everyone, including kids, are solely motivated by money. Fit and development should still matter to those who want to play professionally. Winning still matters. Playing in post season still matters.

$250K isn't money that can/will permanently change your life. Would you take that for a year and put yourself in a situation where you aren't playing as much or progressing as much and ruin your chance at making much more than that playing professionally? Some kids would. Smart kids wouldn't. That's massively short-term thinking.

Now, if you have no plans of playing professionally and are going to go into the 'real' world upon graduation, maybe it could have a little more influence. That would be a nice bonus. But I doubt kids that don't even think about professional basketball are getting that kind of money in NIL anyway.

If you're a one and done type of player and it's not going to matter where you play college ball, then maybe you do go to the highest bidder. But very few people are guaranteed lottery picks. Most players know they need to develop and grow and get exposure. Most players still want to play in March and would take less NIL funds to put them into a situation to do such things.

If Jacksonville State offers you $100K and Wichita is offering you $50K, are you chasing the extra money to Jacksonville or going to a place with a better environment, assumed better coaching, a better conference, better exposure and a better chance of playing in March?

Maybe I and those I know are just wired differently. I've never been one to chase money if it meant putting myself in situations I won't like or enjoy. I know a lot of people, even in our youth, that thought that way. I have niece's who have chosen jobs that mean more to them and sacrificed extra money to do so. I'm not saying money chasers don't exist, but it's not as overwhelmingly prevalent as some seem to make it out to be.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X