The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    The more time that passes, the more the leverage switches to the school’s favor. The best portal kids are gonna get snagged up and paid big bucks. The rest are gonna have to take what they can get. They aren’t all worth a whole lot more than walking around money.
    Good point. It's like waiting on your name to be called after the 3rd round of the NFL draft. Still other good players out there, so not positive your name will be called.

Comment

• Can we let IB recruit and Mills coach ? Rogers/Walton/Pierre/Rojas/Okafor class looking pretty salty

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
        Can we let IB recruit and Mills coach ? Rogers/Walton/Pierre/Rojas/Okafor class looking pretty salty
        Whats funny is as good as last years class looks (and is).

sports 247 had the transfer class ranked as # 92 overall. The current transfer class is # 51 (was mid 40s last week)

Comment

• How many were committed on May 3rd?

Comment

Can we let IB recruit and Mills coach ? Rogers/Walton/Pierre/Rojas/Okafor class looking pretty salty
            Ya, those guys carried us to the top of the college basketball world.

Comment

Okafor = Unsalty, so you listed 4 good players. Not a good team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                How many were committed on May 3rd?
                the majority

Okafor/Pierre/Rojas/Ballard/Rogers

walton a week or so after I believe ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Ya, those guys carried us to the top of the college basketball world.
                  More like a box of rocks coach held them down ?

Comment

Rogers, unproven but decent history. Pretty much knew he wouldn't contribute.
                    Walton was a player and was pretty much expected to be as soon as he signed.
                    Pierre was more bad than good. Zero discipline. Didn't expect a whole lot from him when he was signed.
                    Rojas was about as much bad as good. Little discipline. Played more than expected when signed, but not all of that was good.
                    Okafor was in IBs doghouse which I didn't know existed until he got here. Hard to know what he was. But he seemed at least promising when he signed.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Whats funny is as good as last years class looks (and is).

sports 247 had the transfer class ranked as # 92 overall. The current transfer class is # 51 (was mid 40s last week)
                      I'm sure they are still heavily relying on their HS star rating. This year we have landed several players who were higher rated in HS than their multi years of College production has shown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Sounds like a lot of excuses....

You set your expectations where ever you want. For me, minimum expectation is 20 wins and NIT at minimum but ideally in the conversation for a bid. Transfer portal allows that every year no matter where you start. You just have to find a way to get the good players to want to play for you.
                        Gregg Marshall took three years to crack a winning season. If we can't wait through an 11-20 and a 17-17 season to get to 25 win territory, the biggest change is internal not external. That's all on our patience as a fanbase, not on the portal.

If we set a 20 win expectation early, my fear is that we will never reach it. We'll just keep draining our coffers and putting out rebuilding rosters as we jump from coach to coach, lowering our national reputation each year. Judging coaches before they get a chance to try to retain their roster or develop players will lead to a carrousel of underperformers.

Next year is a near total write-off for me. It has to be. My only requirement is that we overperform the expectations of others: we finish higher in the conference than we are picked, we improve our KenPom rating, &c. I'll eat a lot of crow for this if we do immediately have success, but everything I've seen so far points to character moments being the only highlights I can expect from next year's roster. I'll be far more critical years two and three, particularly if the trend line isn't sharply upwards. Brown was fired for going in the opposite direction, not one year of underperformance.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Gregg Marshall took three years to crack a winning season. If we can't wait through an 11-20 and a 17-17 season to get to 25 win territory, the biggest change is internal not external. That's all on our patience as a fanbase, not on the portal.

If we set a 20 win expectation early, my fear is that we will never reach it. We'll just keep draining our coffers and putting out rebuilding rosters as we jump from coach to coach, lowering our national reputation each year. Judging coaches before they get a chance to try to retain their roster or develop players will lead to a carrousel of underperformers.

Next year is a near total write-off for me. It has to be. My only requirement is that we overperform the expectations of others: we finish higher in the conference than we are picked, we improve our KenPom rating, &c. I'll eat a lot of crow for this if we do immediately have success, but everything I've seen so far points to character moments being the only highlights I can expect from next year's roster. I'll be far more critical years two and three, particularly if the trend line isn't sharply upwards. Brown was fired for going in the opposite direction, not one year of underperformance.
                          Marshall started in a different era. You generally had to build your program from the bottom up and he showed progress the entire time and the team never lacked that fighting spirit.

This is not the same game. Higher levels of roster turnover and the portal make it easier/quicker to build a roster you can use.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Gregg Marshall took over in 2007. Its 2023. You can't make any comparisons between the two. There was no NIL, there was no transfer portal. Setting the expectation that it's ok to lose 17-20 games the first two years will only prolong the pain. You have crappy seasons, the good players are going to bounce. If you are unable to replace them with good players, its a self fulfilling cycle.

Yet again, you set your expectations as low as you want for the program. I do not agree that next year "has to be a near total write off" ... its only a write off if the new coaching staff fails at recruiting the portal. They have 4 scholarships left to avoid that fate. They have 3 years total to make sure the self fulfilling cycle doesn't happen.

Comment

• Isaac Brown won 15 and 17 games his last 2 years (not counting the year he took over). 17 wins with basically a new roster. I expect at least this many wins from PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                Since this topic has become a catch all topic, the Eagle/TE had an article announcing the addition of Lipscond to the schedule it was announced the Eagle had made an open records request from WSU concerning the whole schedule for next year and was waiting for WSU to comply. This sounds so strange to have to request something like this is needed rather than being made public through its media relations. I can see keeping coaching searches and possible recruiting close to the vest but is this a sign of things to come. Is TE being frozen out? Certainly hope not. My other question concerning the article was about Pierrre as was mentioned that he never returned from spring break so how could he even be eligible to transfer or remain here.
                                The AD's from schools sign contracts for non-con games that cover things such as locations, time, dates, expenses, etc. The Eagle request is probably asking for those contracts because they've done the same thing in the past. I'd link to an example of what they request, but WSU doesn't publish that information anymore.

Anyone though can make the same request at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/ If you ask for a copy of the basketball schedule, you won't get anything because it's not public. If you ask for a copy of any contracts for men's basketball games for the upcoming season, then they'll check for them and let you know how much it'll cost to put everything together.
                                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X