The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post

They obviously do. Beverly pretty much officially entered the portal and committed to the Shox at the same time. Coincidence ? Or the type of cut throat recruiting your looking for ?
    If NCAA does any altering of rules, elimination of a coach from ever coaching in the NCAA at any level, for tampering or communicating with other players, should be priority one.

And schools really need to start writing multi-year player contracts for these kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post

They obviously do. Beverly pretty much officially entered the portal and committed to the Shox at the same time. Coincidence ? Or the type of cut throat recruiting your looking for ?
      I'm looking for WSU to recruit at a level which matches program expectations. I don't care how they do it, but generally it seems they avoid getting into the muck.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm looking for WSU to recruit at a level which matches program expectations. I don't care how they do it, but generally it seems they avoid getting into the muck.
        I'm a WSU hoops fan first and a longhorn football fan second. UT has so much money, they can afford just about any coach they want. They have so many rich donners that the can fatten a purse for NIL to get players they want as well. And to top it off, they are in a hotbed of top quality highschool players. So one would think that the horns would rule college football in regards to national titles and conference titles. But they don't. So they end up going through coaches every 3 years, which they can afford.

WSU does not have the funding to do even half of what UT does. While we have a few wealthy donners we don't have even close to the number as UT. While Wichita and Kansas puts out a few D1 players, it is far from a hotbed of highschool talent (-SCR).

But for some reason many WSU fans expectations are a reflection of UT football fans. I'm not saying WSU can't win national titles someday. I'm not saying we shouldn't compete for conferences titles regularly. I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't get top recruits on occasion.

WSUs path to success lays more in development of the 3* with a small sprinkling of 4* kids, coupled with a good coaching staff who can retain the kids they develop, with an assist from armchair, as well as coaches developing a team chemistry. We will never be able to buy teams to meets some of the expectations of some of the fan base.

In short, WSU can get there but the model will have to be much different than that of the wealthy schools. So be patient and enjoy the ride, while hoping for future changes to the portal and nil landscape.

​​​​​
        Last edited by Atxshoxfan; May 5, 2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

WSUs path to success lays more in development of the 3* with a small sprinkling of 4* kids, coupled with a good coaching staff who can retain the kids they develop, with an assist from armchair. We will never be able to buy teams to meets some of the expectations of some of the fan base.

​​​​​
          I'm just saying that if WSU wants to be in the top 1/3 of the AAC each year (at a minimum) they should be in the top 1/3 in terms of recruiting to match. I'm not suggesting WSU needs to land 5* players or beat out KU/UT for recruits, but look at who schools like Memphis, UAB, and SMU (our peers) are landing each offseason and tell me WSU is at the same level.

The last 4* WSU landed was Tyson Etienne in 2019. The last 3* WSU landed was Kenny Pohto in 2021. I know the portal has changed recruiting, and roster turnover has played a significant role, but things have not been firing on all cylinders in my opinion.

I haven't lost hope in HCPM and co. to turn things around, that would be ridiculous, but I do have some concerns with the disconnect between ADKS's stated goals for the program and what we are seeing in terms of recruiting. HCPM and staff really need to land some quality players with the last three scholarships because the current roster is probably finishing in the bottom half of the AAC next year.

Also, I don't know if you were spelling donor as donner on purpose, but now I'm hungry for some kebab...

Comment

I'm just saying that if WSU wants to be in the top 1/3 of the AAC each year (at a minimum) they should be in the top 1/3 in terms of recruiting to match. I'm not suggesting WSU needs to land 5* players or beat out KU/UT for recruits, but look at who schools like Memphis, UAB, and SMU (our peers) are landing each offseason and tell me WSU is at the same level.

The last 4* WSU landed was Tyson Etienne in 2019. The last 3* WSU landed was Kenny Pohto in 2021. I know the portal has changed recruiting, and roster turnover has played a significant role, but things have not been firing on all cylinders in my opinion.
            We haven't been able to keep up since we joined the conference, even prior to the transfer rules/NIL. Our best roster since joining the AAC was our first year, and we haven't really been close since. The difference was that we had a HoF coach on the sidelines that kept us competitive.

I'm pessimistic about our ability to get high-level recruits, but Memphis proves that isn't all that matters. I'm much more concerned about our coach keeping the roster together and developing the players we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I'm much more concerned about our coach keeping the roster together and developing the players we have.
              I think player retention is key and has caused a lot of WSU's recruiting woes. WSU has essentially rebuilt the roster three times in the last four off-seasons. Hard to build a program when you're worried about plugging so 7-8 holes in the roster ever spring.

Comment

I think player retention is key and has caused a lot of WSU's recruiting woes. WSU has essentially rebuilt the roster three times in the last four off-seasons. Hard to build a program when you're worried about plugging so 7-8 holes in the roster ever spring.
                Well ... its hard to do that when your program philosophy is to develop under recruited players. If you bring in immediate impact players you can .. its been proven at other schools

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Also, the idea that Houston/Texas/Memphis are “outbidding us” is not a fair statement.

Armchair Strategies are making huge strides, but each huge stride is currently being met by all other programs.
                  Might be making strides but we're not a serious player in the NIL market. Proof is in the pudding. 500k is cute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Well ... its hard to do that when your program philosophy is to develop under recruited players. If you bring in immediate impact players you can .. its been proven at other schools
                    I'd argue it's harder to attract immediate impact players when you have no starters remaining on the roster almost every offseason lol

However, I don't subscribe to the idea that it's impossible to build a tourney team in one offseason. Difficult, but not impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Do you think KU's General Counsel does?
                      Their General Counsel? Almost certainly not. They have their hands full on a daily basis handling all the big-level stuff that goes on in the entire school, and wouldn't have the time it takes to research and perform some small level esoteric legal function like that... a function that would probably better be left to people who have a better expertise in doing that sort of thing for a living.

The GC may look at it before it gets sent off, but I seriously doubt he/she does it.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Their General Counsel? Almost certainly not. They have their hands full on a daily basis handling all the big-level stuff that goes on in the entire school, and wouldn't have the time it takes to research and perform some small level esoteric legal function like that... a function that would probably better be left to people who have a better expertise in doing that sort of thing for a living.

The GC may look at it before it gets sent off, but I seriously doubt he/she does it.
                        You don't think the Deputy Athletic Director would handle the waiver for their marquee program?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'm just saying that if WSU wants to be in the top 1/3 of the AAC each year (at a minimum) they should be in the top 1/3 in terms of recruiting to match. Look at who schools like Memphis, UAB, and SMU (our peers) are landing each offseason and tell me WSU is at the same level.
                          Case in point: UAB just signed Arkansas transfer Barry Dunning Jr., who is one year removed from being a top 100 recruit and Alabama's Mr. Basketball (2x Gatorade POTY in Alabama as well). UAB also has three of the top 10 JUCO recruits this cycle coming in.

Comment

• Targets.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Not to be sexist, but in the legal profession, a lot of the lower paid, government-type positions are occupied by women because they traditionally value family life over work life. Legal aid, non-profits, college counsel, etc. All admirable fields, but they typically are 40-hour workweeks (or less) and not the grind that the private sector legal positions can be.

Not that it matters, because I can just about guarantee that they probably have no hand in applying for waivers for student athletes.
                              8 of 13 General Counsel members at KU are men. Why do they buck the trend?

I don't know. I have to believe that if Bill Self -- head coach of KU's marquee sport -- has a problem with a prized recruit that needs a waiver, his first phone call is going to be to the Deputy Athletic Director (who is also General Counsel) explaining how he _really_ needs this kid's waiver to be approved. Bill Self has millions of reasons to be pretty demanding that the lowly waiver you are describing is handled with extreme urgency and care. You will have a very difficult time convincing me otherwise.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

8 of 13 General Counsel members at KU are men. Why do they buck the trend?

I don't know. I have to believe that if Bill Self -- head coach of KU's marquee sport -- has a problem with a prized recruit that needs a waiver, his first phone call is going to be to the Deputy Athletic Director (who is also General Counsel) explaining how he _really_ needs this kid's waiver to be approved. Bill Self has millions of reasons to be pretty demanding that the lowly waiver you are describing is handled with extreme urgency and care. You will have a very difficult time convincing me otherwise.
                                For some reason you really want to attribute tasks to people who wouldn't be good at them. This isn't in the General Counsel's wheelhouse. He wouldn't be the best man for the job. Someone who practices in this area of law more often certainly would be.
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X