The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
    So we need to be able to pull hard through the portal, JUCO, or high school recruits who can make immediate impact. There is no long term building a roster anymore imo
    That may very well be true. If so the ability for a coach to pull a group together quickly and effectively plus the size of your NIL pool are the most important factors. And if you don't have the latter the former may not make much of a difference. How WSU stacks up NIL-wise is really hard to say for sure. It doesn't sound like our coffers are overflowing with cash but I could be wrong about that.

So arguably, if this assessment is accurate, then in the current environment the key players are the fans and boosters and if we fail then perhaps it's as much on the fans and boosters as it is on the coaches. But there are fans and boosters that find the current system distasteful and just aren't interested in playing this game, some fans would like to play but simply don't have the resources. So hopefully the boosters with the resources are the ones wanting to play. Then again how long can that be sustained.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 2, 2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Mills signed some of his better recruits in June and July last year.

and chicken ****

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think the consensus was that Abmas was a big target but getting him was also probably a long shot. And that proved to be accurate.
        If recruiting a player that has been with you for 4 years is a LONG shot .. then we aren't in a good spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If recruiting a player that has been with you for 4 years is a LONG shot .. then we aren't in a good spot.
          lol

Comment

Exactly. We are in a tough spot. Largely because of NIL which was totally ignored under FADDB. And even if it had not been ignored it's questionable whether or not our boosters who have the resources to make a difference are interested enough in playing that game. I really have no information regarding whether that is or is not the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Even with the transfer portal, basketball is not a one-year sport. New coaches coming in and replacing most of the production on a team rarely have success in their first year, and when they do they are the exception. It takes time to build a culture, establish recruiting networks, and implement a system.

Look frankly at this roster. Xavier Bell is most proven returnee. None of the incoming transfers were all-conference level performers. Our only incoming high school signee at the moment is a foreign prospect that will be hard to evaluate before they play hear. Our expectations should be based on who actually plays for us, not some fantasy where our roster is filled with proven all-conference players and All-American recruits. Who we are is a rebuilding program with no proven names on our roster.

A coach can of course be judged for the team they assembled, but we need to keep in mind the challenges of recruiting here, now, and under these circumstances. I am much more willing to lambast a coach's recruiting after they've actually had a full recruiting season under their belt. Particularly in the modern environment, where keeping players is even more vital than enticing them and an incoming coach is bound start with a loss in that department.
              Sounds like a lot of excuses. HCPM is getting paid multi millions to put a winner on the floor. He's paid to recruit the players to do that. He so far has either not wanted or been able to keep the 3 key players that were still in the portal or entered the portal after he was hired. He was unable to convince his all american to come here. So far, no other ORU players were either recruited or wanted to follow him here (and to be fair, some we don't want). Those were all the ways to quickly bridge next year. He's judged on who he brings in and how they do on the court. He's not doing well on the first part, though there is still time. We wont know on the second part until March.

You set your expectations where ever you want. For me, minimum expectation is 20 wins and NIT at minimum but ideally in the conversation for a bid. Transfer portal allows that every year no matter where you start. You just have to find a way to get the good players to want to play for you.

Comment

Exactly. We are in a tough spot. Largely because of NIL which was totally ignored under FADDB. And even if it had not been ignored it's questionable whether or not our boosters who have the resources to make a difference are interested enough in playing that game. I really have no information regarding whether that is or is not the case.
                We had a couple sources stating that NIL wasn't the problem and WSU was actually ahead in some case. That included people without the need to prop WSU up (KSU recruiting guys)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

lol
                  Great solid insightful post!

Comment

We had a couple sources stating that NIL wasn't the problem and WSU was actually ahead in some case. That included people without the need to prop WSU up (KSU recruiting guys)
                    Okay. Then we should be in great shape and need to quit worrying about it.

Comment

Okay. Then we should be in great shape and need to quit worrying about it.
                      Well NIL is just one part the equation.

Comment

He so far has not either wanted or been able to keep the 3 key players that were still in the portal or entered the portal after he was hired.
                        Most of your posts are full of so much nonsense and repetitiveness they are not even worth responding to anymore. But this one is a little new.

Jaron Pierre didn’t even attempt to come back to Wichita after spring break lol. He was not coming back.

I’ll give you Kenny I guess, but he’s still practicing with the team so idk. Shrug on that I guess.

Walton is in jail.

Seems pretty obvious 2 of those 3 weren’t even options.

Comment

Well NIL is just one part the equation.
                          Yes, but would you not agree a very significant part? If not, then we simply have a difference of opinion.

It would be nice to see our NIL resources laid out in black and white form a reputable source although it is probably best to keep those numbers confidential.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Most of your posts are full of so much nonsense and repetitiveness they are not even worth responding to anymore. But this one is a little new.

Jaron Pierre didn’t even attempt to come back to Wichita after spring break lol. He was not coming back.

I’ll give you Kenny I guess, but he’s still practicing with the team so idk. Shrug on that I guess.

Walton is in jail.

Seems pretty obvious 2 of those 3 weren’t even options.
                            Just because you disagree or struggle with concepts besides "WOE IS ME THE WORLD IS AGAINST US" .. doesn't make them nonsense.

Walton i agree, we dodge a bit of a bullet there.

Pohto, we are in alignment.

Pierre - So you are saying the coach was unable to the player to come back to Wichita. That's part of re-recruiting the team. If Pierre was 100% gone no matter what, he wouldn't have waited to enter the portal until seeing who the new coach is. That's on HCPM.

Many of us, myself included, made excuses for HCIB early on. He had a lot of turmoil thrown on him and wasn't ready. HCPM purposely stepped into this situation .. knowing what WSU was, knowing about the transfer portal era, knowing about NIL. So I'm not buying excuses anymore. He's paid very well to get good players to want to play here, and to make them a winner on the floor. Period. No excuses. He has IMO 3 years to prove that (as that's when the other 2 coaches come off the payroll). Wasting 1 year because he can't recruit right away isn't a good start.

Comment

Yes, but would you not agree a very significant part? If not, then we simply have a difference of opinion.

It would be nice to see our NIL resources laid out in black and white form a reputable source although it is probably best to keep those numbers confidential.
                              No I completely agree that NIL is a very big part, but if the sources are saying we are equal or better in NIL, then its likely that the coach wasn't able to sell why he should play for him instead of another place (which, to be fair, we have disadvantages there too, but it's the coaches job to sell the advantages). That's my point.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of excuses. HCPM is getting paid multi millions to put a winner on the floor. He's paid to recruit the players to do that. He so far has either not wanted or been able to keep the 3 key players that were still in the portal or entered the portal after he was hired. He was unable to convince his all american to come here. So far, no other ORU players were either recruited or wanted to follow him here (and to be fair, some we don't want). Those were all the ways to quickly bridge next year. He's judged on who he brings in and how they do on the court. He's not doing well on the first part, though there is still time. We wont know on the second part until March.

You set your expectations where ever you want. For me, minimum expectation is 20 wins and NIT at minimum but ideally in the conversation for a bid. Transfer portal allows that every year no matter where you start. You just have to find a way to get the good players to want to play for you.
                                I’m pretty much here as well. It’s not like I think he should be fired or anything if he doesn’t meet those expectations but I’m already asking myself “if not this year, then when?” when it comes to success. If he can’t navigate the portal this off-season then I’m assuming he won’t be able to navigate it in Year 2 or 3. Maybe he’s wanting to rely on fresh recruits but I don’t really think that’s a recipe for success due to players taking time to develop plus losing players to the portal which will 100% happen even if we’re successful.

So basically I’m fine giving him 3 years regardless of what happens but if we suck this year I don’t see us getting that much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X