The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    Ready for another cryptic tweet from TE like: "Shocker fans should enjoy this weekend to the max"
    Any other Maxs out there?!?!
    The Assman

Comment

• Make no mistake, I wanted Abmas, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the length of defenders in the Big 12, as it would have been in the AAC as well. These leagues are nothing like the Summit league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
        Make no mistake, I wanted Abmas, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the length of defenders in the Big 12, as it would have been in the AAC as well. These leagues are nothing like the Summit league.
        I’m not going to look it up, but he obviously shoots a lot to average 20+ points per game; everything would have been centered around his game. I prefer taller guards, with Fred being the exception. Oh, I really wanted him, but it might be the best short-term situation. He would have definitely been valuable in year one. I’m not heartbroken, but my ‘crystal balls’ have turned to powder. I still have a feeling that door number two is about ready to open. Stay tuned.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Now that we're forced to move on I actually think this Elijah Hawkins PG from Howard (mentioned in TE's timeline) wouldn't be a bad option. Averages 13ppg has an excellent 3pt percentage (46.6% last year), steals are a strength, and looks like a crafty ball handler and passer. He's only 5' 11" and has some turnover issues, but he's a true point guard which I think this team needs. He has 2 years left as well which provides the potential of stability. I was much more impressed than I thought I'd be, but highlight reels tend to do that. I'm not sure what other PG options are still out there but most of big names have been snatched up at this point so I've got to open my mind a little at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCount View Post
            Now that we're forced to move on I actually think this Elijah Hawkins PG from Howard (mentioned in TE's timeline) wouldn't be a bad option. Averages 13ppg has an excellent 3pt percentage (46.6% last year), steals are a strength, and looks like a crafty ball handler and passer. He's only 5' 11" and has some turnover issues, but he's a true point guard which I think this team needs. He has 2 years left as well which provides the potential of stability. I was much more impressed than I thought I'd be, but highlight reels tend to do that. I'm not sure what other PG options are still out there but most of big names have been snatched up at this point so I've got to open my mind a little at this point.

https://youtu.be/hJIx3vq2CxI
            Some turnover issues? He averaged a turnover for about every seven minutes of court time. Eleven games where he failed to have more assists than turnovers. And it's not like he was facing the stiffest competition while doing it.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what other PGs we may be after, but I wouldn't be all that comfortable with this one running things.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

Clemence?
              KU PF/C transfer - have not heard anything about interest in him so why not at least reach out with some NIL $$$ and opportunity for PT

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Some turnover issues? He averaged a turnover for about every seven minutes of court time. Eleven games where he failed to have more assists than turnovers. And it's not like he was facing the stiffest competition while doing it.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what other PGs we may be after, but I wouldn't be all that comfortable with this one running things.
                Depends on what type of turnovers they are. He has high assist numbers, so I wonder if he takes a lot of risky passes. If he turns it over a lot because he takes too risky of passes, a good coach can put an end to that. If he turns it over because he isn't a good ball handler and gets it stolen off the dribble then that is different.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• He has a less than 1.5/1 A/TO ratio against much lesser teams than he would see here.

Being 150 lbs probably doesn't do him a great deal of good there either.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Depends on what type of turnovers they are. He has high assist numbers, so I wonder if he takes a lot of risky passes. If he turns it over a lot because he takes too risky of passes, a good coach can put an end to that. If he turns it over because he isn't a good ball handler and gets it stolen off the dribble then that is different.
                    My thought as well. Especially with Mills staff focus on TOs.

Comment

• If Coach Mills signs Hawkins, he doesn't concern me. Mills has stated how important it is to take care of the ball for his teams. Now, Coach Brown would concern me, because his teams didn't take care of the ball very well. Good decisions with the ball can be coached.

Comment

• The linked video shows a few clips highlighting his weaknesses (turnovers at a 26% clip, and shot selection). If Mills and staff impart his low-turnover philosophy Hawkins might be a good compliment to Cortes. But if he were to come here and be the same player, he's probably just a better version of Melvion Flannigan. I'd be fine with that as PG depth, but I doubt Hawkins himself would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          If Coach Mills signs Hawkins, he doesn't concern me. Mills has stated how important it is to take care of the ball for his teams. Now, Coach Brown would concern me, because his teams didn't take care of the ball very well. Good decisions with the ball can be coached.
                          If we're ever going reach some sustained success we have to believe Coach Mills will improve these players weaknesses and build on their strengths. Time will tell, but if you look at how ORU improved year over year the evidence is in his favor. Under IB it was almost as if players went backwards in many cases. I'm not saying Hawkins is a grand slam, but on video you can see he's very talented he just needs his rough edges smoothed out. He's only a sophomore as well. Taking care of he ball improves with maturity in most cases as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            The linked video shows a few clips highlighting his weaknesses (turnovers at a 26% clip, and shot selection). If Mills and staff impart his low-turnover philosophy Hawkins might be a good compliment to Cortes. But if he were to come here and be the same player, he's probably just a better version of Melvion Flannigan. I'd be fine with that as PG depth, but I doubt Hawkins himself would.
                            If we didn't hire a good enough coach to teach his teams to avoid turn overs, we are in a lot of trouble. Coaching does matter. You guys act like these guys are all free agents, and that the player is the only thing that matters and that's bull.

Comment

• Watched Hawkins against KU in the NCAA tourney. Did not look overmatched to me. Yes he had 7 turnovers. But also had 12 points and 8 assists. Shot 4/11 from three. I think he would be a good option considering what is likely out there available for automatic PG right now. As others have said if Mills is recruiting him, I am confident the staff thinks they can improve the turnovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Watched Hawkins against KU in the NCAA tourney. Did not look overmatched to me. Yes he had 7 turnovers. But also had 12 points and 8 assists. Shot 4/11 from three. I think he would be a good option considering what is likely out there available for automatic PG right now. As others have said if Mills is recruiting him, I am confident the staff thinks they can improve the turnovers.
                                But don't you know that us on Shockernet are much more qualified to evaluate talent and the needs of WSU???? Mills doesn't know what he needs! He should listen to us!!!! LMAO
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X