The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I get the sense that Mills truly wants his former staff and ORU to keep moving up. He doesn’t seem the type to burn bridges.
    While that is noble. I expect our head coach to be 100% focused on what's best for WSU. He shouldn't be looking out for ORU best interests anymore.

I'm just expecting that the players wanted to stay with the assistants and not that HCPM told them not to come to help his old assistants.

I've gotten ripped apart for being cautious about the hire, but no players wanting to follow him is a yellow (not quite a red) flag for me based on my concerns stated before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

While that is noble. I expect our head coach to be 100% focused on what's best for WSU. He shouldn't be looking out for ORU best interests anymore.

I'm just expecting that the players wanted to stay with the assistants and not that HCPM told them not to come to help his old assistants.

I've gotten ripped apart for being cautious about the hire, but no players wanting to follow him is a yellow (not quite a red) flag for me based on my concerns stated before.
      It is interesting for sure.

Comment

Comment

• We don't know what we don't know

Comment

This is dumb. Sorry.

You don’t build a culture where you retain pretty much every player off a sweet 16 team then turn that same squad into a undefeated in conference play 12-seed cuz of your assistants.

Then you turn around and criticize him because it’s only because one recruiting class… but it was only one class because he KEPT those guys.

It’s like you give his assistants credit for everything the HC did.

Let him build a roster and coach before you throw up flags. It’s been a week for gods sake.

IDGAF if it’s with ORU guys or not.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with a few of them anyway.

Comment

• Did Marshall bring any from Winthrop?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

This is dumb. Sorry.

You don’t build a culture where you retain pretty much every player off a sweet 16 team then turn that same squad into a undefeated in conference play 12-seed cuz of your assistants.

Then you turn around and criticize him because it’s only because one recruiting class… but it was only one class because he KEPT those guys.

It’s like you give his assistants credit for everything the HC did.

Let him build a roster and coach before you throw up flags. It’s been a week for gods sake.

IDGAF if it’s with ORU guys or not.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with a few of them anyway.
                Nah its not dumb to be a little surprised no one is following him which is extremely common place now days. Especially considering pretty much all of them have their free transfer.

You can choose to not throw up flags and just say everything is peachy, I can choose to throw up flags. This isn't Shocker Faithful. We aren't required to ignore every flag out there.

Comment

Nah its not dumb to be a little surprised no one is following him which is extremely common place now days. Especially considering pretty much all of them have their free transfer.

You can choose to not throw up flags and just say everything is peachy, I can choose to throw up flags. This isn't Shocker Faithful. We aren't required to ignore every flag out there.
                  Nah I just don’t have preconceived notions about the guy.

You have zero idea if no one is following him. Zero. None have yet, but that does not mean that none will.

You also ignored the part where Mills recruited and retained every player on that roster after making the Sweet 16.

It seems like he may recruit guys who want to stay where they committed to, not just bolt at the first chance to do so. I care a heck of a lot more about that than I do who he poaches from their roster to bring here.

Particularly when I don’t know what WSU’s roster is going to look like.
                  Last edited by ShockerExpress; April 2, 2023, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Did Marshall bring any from Winthrop?
                    It’s a way different world than it was then.. but no.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Nah I just don’t have preconceived notions about the guy.

You have zero idea if no one is following him. Zero. None have yet, but that does not mean that none will.

You also ignored the part where Mills recruited and retained every player on that roster after making the Sweet 16.

It seems like he may recruit guys who want to stay where they committed to, not just bolt at the first chance to do so. I care a heck of a lot more about that than I do who he pooches from there roster. to bring here.

Particularly when I don’t know what WSU’s roster is going to look like.
                      Well we know no one has followed him yet. Which is all I'm saying. It's weird in this world. Heck 3 of Kennesaw States best players already followed their coach to USF. He was hired after Mills was. I'm not saying he's going to fail. Just pointing out it's odd. It's really weird how this forum doesn't allow POTENTIALLY negative opinions now.

And I didn't ignore the recruitment part, I've addressed that elsewhere. The key players from that run were credited as being recruited by the assistants that stayed at ORU. Im not saying Mills had no part in them staying, but if they choose to stay at ORU with the assistants ... Well it's pretty obvious Mills wasn't the primary reason they were there. Unfortunately we won't know the answer to whether he recruits players that stay until a year from now at the earliest.

I will say, it's a positive that so far no one else from WSU has chosen to leave after the coaching announcement. So there is that.

Comment

It's really weird how this forum doesn't allow POTENTIALLY negative opinions now.
                        I only see conversation - nobody is "not allowing" your opinion. Don't play the victim card. I'm still in a wait and see mode myself.

We had some good players this past season - probably better than most of the ORU players. We just didn't have a good coach IMHO

I do find it amazing that some have bagged on Myles and Walton for not staying committed to WSU - while condoning poaching players from ORU.

I also admire the ones who stay committed to both programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

I only see conversation - nobody is "not allowing" your opinion. Don't play the victim card. I'm still in a wait and see mode myself.

We had some good players this past season - probably better than most of the ORU players. We just didn't have a good coach IMHO

I do find it amazing that some have bagged on Myles and Walton for not staying committed to WSU - while condoning poaching players from ORU.

I also admire the ones who stay committed to both programs.
                          Agree. I want him to get guys who want to stay. Some will always leave, but it doesn’t have to be like how it’s been since Marshall’s last year.

I just don’t think Mills recruiting guys to ORU, who now seem like they want to be at ORU and stay there, is a bad thing for WSU when they’ve hired Mills.

That’s exactly what I want here. And what I expect he’ll do.

Comment

• Stickboy, you are kind of wearing us out with constant gripes.

And who is to say we want any of his players besides Abams? Are players following every coach? Doubtful. Who cares if Kennesaw State players are going to UCF?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              Stickboy, you are kind of wearing us out with constant gripes.

And who is to say we want any of his players besides Abams? Are players following every coach? Doubtful. Who cares if Kennesaw State players are going to UCF?
                              I am certain that 4 players leaving Kennesaw State for Wichita State along with the coach would have met the threshold for Stickboy46 to approve of the coaching hire. At that point, he would have felt good that the coach and a bunch of players from the Atlantic Sun could dominate the AAC based on their past achievements.

Comment

• Lol shocker faithful 2.0

Comment

Working...
                                X