No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other side is that most of HCPMs former staff is still at ORU. I don’t know who recruited Abmas, but it’s highly likely that he is the HC at ORU now.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I get the sense that Mills truly wants his former staff and ORU to keep moving up. He doesn’t seem the type to burn bridges.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
        The other side is that most of HCPMs former staff is still at ORU. I don’t know who recruited Abmas, but it’s highly likely that he is the HC at ORU now.
        Yes, I believe that is the case.

Comment

• While I have the same thoughts as all your comments above… the truth is the coach doesn’t decide for the kid where they will play ; the kids do. If the kids have a rock solid relationship with Mills and think he’s the best coach to help them reach their goals ; then they will ask to follow him. Remember he has said he gave both assistants that stayed an apportunity to come to WSU if they wanted ; and he or anyone would do the same with good players. It’s never poaching when a kid enters the transfer portal that asks/has the desire to follow your mentor.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
            If the kids have a rock solid relationship with Mills and think he’s the best coach to help them reach their goals ; then they will ask to follow him.
            They can ask all they want, but he's not allowed to discuss it with them -- that would be a clear violation of the rules.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

They can ask all they want, but he's not allowed to discuss it with them -- that would be a clear violation of the rules.
              In this day and age, I'm not sure there are any rules or laws. If there are, I'm doubtful that they're enforced. They are more like optional suggestions.

Comment

I’m referring to once they enter the portal such as Kareem. Now that he’s in , if he wants to play with Mills he could have asked and committed quickly. Not saying he or anyone else that was a good OR player won’t ; just slightly odd to me they haven’t yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post

I’m referring to once they enter the portal such as Kareem. Now that he’s in , if he wants to play with Mills he could have asked and committed quickly. Not saying he or anyone else that was a good OR player won’t ; just slightly odd to me they haven’t yet.
                  It's a risk. If they are happy where they are, and they aren't sure HCPM has a spot for them, why transfer? I see what you're saying though.

Comment

• Perhaps and this is just a "maybe".....considering Head Coach Paul Mills "intergity" and previously stating he wants kids to want to be at Wichita St....maybe he's simply leading by example that he's totally fine by not having his kids transfer and following him to Wichita simply because they are loyal to ORU. That's probably what he preached at ORU. I think that may be a good thing going forward showing when he gets his players to come here and expects his kids to WANT to be here that no one can ever accuse coach Mills of recruiting potential transfers from ORU when he first got the job.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

All they have to do is have a person they trust, represent them and find out the coaches interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

All they have to do is have a person they trust, represent them and find out the coaches interest.
                        Gosh, it's like the NCAA never thought of that ...

"13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes.An athletics staff member or other representative of the
                        institution's athletics interests shall not communicate or make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA Division I
                        institution, or any individual associated with the student-athlete (e.g., family member scholastic or nonscholastic coach,
                        advisor), directly or indirectly, without first obtaining authorization through the notification of transfer process. "

Comment

• Interesting that while many fans seem to equate the transfer portal with a concentration of the best players on P5 teams, there are other voices who believe just the opposite. Instead, the result will be even more parity. Maybe this year, with non-P5 programs showing strong, and nary a blue blood to be found in the Elite Eight, was an outlier. But maybe (I hope) it is a portend of things to come.
                          San Diego State head coach Brian Dutcher spoke out about the increasing parity due to the transfer portal during March Madness this season.

Comment

Gosh, it's like the NCAA never thought of that ...

"13.1.1.3 Four-Year College Prospective Student-Athletes.An athletics staff member or other representative of the
                            institution's athletics interests shall not communicate or make contact with the student-athlete of another NCAA Division I
                            institution, or any individual associated with the student-athlete (e.g., family member scholastic or nonscholastic coach,
                            advisor), directly or indirectly, without first obtaining authorization through the notification of transfer process. "
                            Well if schools can keep money passing hands a secret, players families can find ways to keep verbal discussions a secret. It’s a matter of who is honest. Some cheat more than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Well if schools can keep money passing hands a secret, players families can find ways to keep verbal discussions a secret. It’s a matter of who is honest. Some cheat more than others.
                              Right, thats the point. You have to cheat to poach a player from another school, even if you were besties.

Comment

• When Kyle Weems was at Missouri State - it was widely known that one of the ku coaches reached out to Kyle's former High School Coach about him transferring to KU - He felt a loyalty to Missouri State and remained there.

Comment

Working...
                                X