No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not saying its applicable here, but by the NCAA's own numbers, just in football, HALF of all the players who enter the portal never find a school.

Also by the NCAA's own numbers, there are 16,661 student athletes currently in the transfer portal in some form or another (unless I read the numbers incorrectly) who have yet to sign on at another school. The data includes the number of entrants from August 2021 (I think to January 2023), and indicates that currently 43% of the student athletes who entered didn't sign on anywhere else. I would presume a fair percentage of those have left their sport(s) altogether.

The link for reading if anyone is interested:

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      Since XB already used his free transfer (and is from here), he’s probably here for the duration of his career.
      XB will be eligible for the grad transfer after the upcoming season.

Comment

• Bell will finish his career here no matter how much PT he gets.

Abidde still has a high ceiling and if Mills and Co are who we want them to be, we'll see more out of him this season. He had some good moments/games, but as I've said many times in the past for a number of different players, it's hard to find your groove and consistency when you don't see consistent minutes or aren't in for more than a minute or two at a time.

Ricks has been disappointing but I still believe he has a lot of untapped potential. We did not have a good staff to bring it out of him. I am surprised that he didn't hit the portal though.

I don't think we'll see a lot of Bell this year. I said early on that his best potential fit is as a role player that gets maybe 10-12 minutes a game. I think he can still be that. Something has gone wrong if he's averaging 20+.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I think Bell makes sense as a rotational piece. Good defender, no idea his #s off the top of my head but probably want a more consistent 3 pt threat from him. Will he ever be a guy that initiates offense and creates for himself? Probably not. But I like him as a guy that comes off the bench and is solid

Comment

• I think Bell will be much improved this season. At the beginning of last season, he attempted to ball way more than his ability because he was both trying to carve a niche for himself behind Porter and show out for his home team. By the end of the season he was better at letting the game come to him.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoShockers2021 View Post
              Might be an unpopular opinion on here but I’d personally like to see Bell & Abidde enter the portal.

for the kids sake ; they will get more playing time at a lower level that suits their current abilities better. From a basketball standpoint ; if I only had one scholarship available ; I’d rather have a chance to get a guy like German than Abidde. Rather have a chance to get Abmus or Beverly vs Bell.
              XB took a while to warm up but came on strong. Ricks and Abidde may have potential, but I wouldn’t stop recruiting upgrades until they prove it in a game. We have enough scholarships available to keep them. We need 2 PG’s, another Center, and two PF ( one which can be a 3/4 combo). We have plenty of 2/3’s.

Comment

• Reminder that Abidde was a freshman last year, and his 3 pt shooting was really bad. But while they play different positions, if you compare Jacob Germany's freshman year to Abidde's on a per 40 basis, there are some interesting results:

2P%
                Germany: 0.561
                Abidde: 0.560

PTS
                Germany: 13.7
                Abidde: 11.0

Germany got a lot more time on the court as a freshman. Abidde may start to break out his sophomore year, especially if he minimizes shooting 3s and focuses a little more on his inside game where he is clearly effective.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Shooting high…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I almost posted about him when I saw him in the portal, but feel he's a long shot and will stay in the SE as he's from Georgia as well.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Shooting high…

Wonder how he and Ballard get along.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Reminder that Abidde was a freshman last year, and his 3 pt shooting was really bad. But while they play different positions, if you compare Jacob Germany's freshman year to Abidde's on a per 40 basis, there are some interesting results:

2P%
                        Germany: 0.561
                        Abidde: 0.560

PTS
                        Germany: 13.7
                        Abidde: 11.0

Germany got a lot more time on the court as a freshman. Abidde may start to break out his sophomore year, especially if he minimizes shooting 3s and focuses a little more on his inside game where he is clearly effective.
                        Abidde (and Ricks for that matter) was actually a Redshirt Freshman this past year. He practiced, grew, and added weight, a full year against Div. 1 athletes, so in effect he was a Sophomore this past year, although he didn't play in too many games the prior year. He showed a few flashes of ability, but I wasn't impressed with what he showed, and wouldn't count on him. Maybe as a RS Sophomore (with Mills help he extensively improves) this next year, he and Ricks show more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          I almost posted about him when I saw him in the portal, but feel he's a long shot and will stay in the SE as he's from Georgia as well.
                          Quincy Jyrome Acy
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• From the highlight video in the tweet below, it looks like he goes about his business on the court much like Tekele Cotton. Highlight dunk? No big deal, time to play defense.

Comment

• Hopefully there's no actual weight to this. Not at all what I was hoping to see today.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCount View Post
                                Hopefully there's no actual weight to this. Not at all what I was hoping to see today.
                                Did anyone actually think we'd be a front runner for him? He's got one year to showcase himself and can go pretty much anywhere he wants.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X