Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjl View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here, the case for Isaac Brown:

A lot of talent left this past offseason. A lot of the blame for that could be put on the old AD, who sat and thumbed his sack while the rest of the NCAA world cooked up NIL programs.

Brown has a bunch of new players who are playing together for the first time. In some cases, players who are getting meaningful minutes for the first time in their college careers.

With that backdrop, I could see Isaac Brown saving his job if the team starts putting it together and finishes strong. To what degree, I don't know.
    No, you’re right; you don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I’m reading that to mean at a low major job. Coaching as the head man just with a lot smaller stakes. Wins like today will help him stay a head coach somewhere.
      As usual, you read that correctly. IB absolutely deserves a HC job somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Like South Florida. They could use a better coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
          No, you’re right; you don’t know.
          Nobody here does. That's the point of discussion.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

He could probably do alright at Bethune-Cookman
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

No money. Two years left on his contract at 1.1per and I believe 2 more for fhcgm at over 5 per. So unless they find some money he will be here another year. I saw first hand how poor the Athletic department is in KC when no Cheerleaders or band or mascot was present and used a local high school band.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                No money. Two years left on his contract at 1.1per and I believe 2 more for fhcgm at over 5 per. So unless they find some money he will be here another year. I saw first hand how poor the Athletic department is in KC when no Cheerleaders or band or mascot was present and used a local high school band.
                I thought that before the season started. All depends on what inroads/decisions Saal has made since being hired. We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Saal very well may think he deserves another season, or he may think we need to upgrade asap. A lot will also hinge on how the season finishes out.

Comment

With 9 games left I think

6-3 or better he stays
                  2-7 or worse he is gone
                  3-6 to 5-4 it is 50/50

I also think we finish in the 50/50 range.

Comment

Next year there’s going to be movement within the AAC right? Could make the argument the level of competition should be easier for IB to compete against. Could be why no final decision has been made yet? Unless we do horribly (2-7 like Jdmee said), I think he’s getting another year.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                      With 9 games left I think

6-3 or better he stays
                      2-7 or worse he is gone
                      3-6 to 5-4 it is 50/50

I also think we finish in the 50/50 range.
                      I'm thinking 3-6 in the last 9 is probably the best case scenario. That would make us 14-16 (7-11). I don't think that will be enough to save his job.

I have a hard time imagining any possible scenario where he is back next year unless Saal is forbidden by Muma from doing anything because of finances. I don't think Muma will do that as they both can see the harm the department faces with another year of no confidence from the fan base and lack of funds coming in because of it.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ventichai View Post
                        Next year there’s going to be movement within the AAC right? Could make the argument the level of competition should be easier for IB to compete against. Could be why no final decision has been made yet? Unless we do horribly (2-7 like Jdmee said), I think he’s getting another year.
                        We're adding 5 teams that are probably better than us right now, 4 definitely so. This program should be about competing nationally, not just being a mid level team within the conference. If Saal think that will be good enough, he will have been the absolute wrong hire.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The opportunity for IB to return was blown with 4 particular home losses. There was no reason to lose to Alcorn State and ECU. The games with Missouri and Tulane were right there for the taking but came up just short. 15-6 looks a lot better than 11-10, and it wouldn’t have taken much more to get there.

I said coming into the season that 15-15 or worse meant easy dismissal. 19-11 or better would be clear progress. Anything in between that would be purgatory (not so bad to make change but nowhere near good enough to feel good). With the schedule ahead, just getting to .500 will be an achievement, and that’s not a compliment.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

He could probably do alright at Bethune-Cookman
                            Friends?
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Muma was relatively early in his time as President when he pulled the trigger on Boatwrong. I had been assured by people who had worked with Muma that he had no problems making difficult decisions. Then he appointed a solid committee to evaluate Boatanchors replacement.

I'm confident Muma has done an evaluation of the basketball program and is well-informed about its' status. Maybe he's not a huge fan of basketball, but he was at WSU when Golden cancelled Ivanka's keynote speech. He saw how that affected donors on the academic side in a negative way.

Donors on the athletic side have also been affected in a negative way and that threatens the future of WSU's athletic department.

I believe Muma will be all in on making a replacement unless there is absolutely, positively 0% of even any hope of making that financially feasible over the next decade or so.

Just to demonstrate how well I understand these processes, let me point out that I was a solid supporter of IB when he was hired. That clearly demonstrated that my opinions on subjects like this can be completely misaligned with reality.
                              Last edited by Aargh; January 30, 2023, 04:16 PM.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Muma was relatively early in his time as President when he pulled the trigger on Boatwrong. I had been assured by people who had worked with Muma that he had no problems making difficult decisions. Then he appointed a solid committee to evaluate Boatanchors replacement.

I'm confident Muma has done an evaluation of the basketball program and is well-informed about its' status. Maybe he's not a huge fan of basketball, but he was at WSU when Golden cancelled Ivank'as keynote speech. He saw how that affected donors on the academic side in a negative way.

Donors on the athletic side have also been affected in a negative way and that threatens the future of WSU's athletic department.

I believe Muma will be all in on making a replacement unless there is absolutely, positively 0% of even any hope of making that financially feasible over the nexst decade or so.
                                Just the bolded part .. Muma is in the same seats at every home game with his husband and the same group. (upper rows of the lower section of 108). So I think he's definitely a fan and understands it.

Comment

Working...
                                X