As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    The opportunity for IB to return was blown with 4 particular home losses. There was no reason to lose to Alcorn State and ECU. The games with Missouri and Tulane were right there for the taking but came up just short. 15-6 looks a lot better than 11-10, and it wouldn’t have taken much more to get there.

I said coming into the season that 15-15 or worse meant easy dismissal. 19-11 or better would be clear progress. Anything in between that would be purgatory (not so bad to make change but nowhere near good enough to feel good). With the schedule ahead, just getting to .500 will be an achievement, and that’s not a compliment.
    It’s not a record or certain losses that will get him fired, it’s lack of direction or lack of growth that will get him fired. Turg abd 3G both had bad records and bad losses early on in their tenure, but their programs were always moving in a positive direction. IB’s seem to be going backward.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Just the bolded part .. Muma is in the same seats at every home game with his husband and the same group. (upper rows of the lower section of 108). So I think he's definitely a fan and understands it.
      Doesn't take a financial analyst to understand that empty seats are lost revenue. Lost revenue for a department that's already operating below break even is not a good thing. This is encouraging me to think a change can be made if there is ANY way to do it.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

You guys act like Saul can simply pass Go and collect the money. This is not Monopoly money. Whether he wants to make a change or not, the money comes into play. Finding the money will be harder than ever. Do not hold it against Saul if there is not a change this year. I have faith in him that he will do the right thing. However, it may not be as soon as everyone wants.

Comment

And if a change isn't made this year, the athletic department has even less money next year.

As Doc eluded to previously though, with the announcement recently about Wilkins Stadium would seem to indicate that there is positive movement in fundraising and connections and that we will move forward as an athletic department. We can't move forward if we allow basketball to keep pulling us down.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Looking at the situation from a financial perspective, I broke down the potential expenditures into three options:
            1. Keep Brown; 2. Release Brown after this season; 3. Release Brown after next season.

WSU Contracts.JPG
            I estimated a new coach to receive a salary of $1,500,000. Not sure what we have available to get a quality replacement, but KSU is paying Tang $2,100,000 this year. If you terminate Coach Brown's contract this season, you will end up paying in the ballpark of $3 million more than if you waited an additional season when Brown's buyout drops to 50% for the final two years. It would be interesting to know what type of decrease in ticket sales the Athletic Department projects versus if they hire a new coach and see a potential uptick in sales. If the AD moves away from Brown, Saal must also have the donors ready to lay down some significant NIL money to attract a team the new coach thinks he can win with and retain for more than one season.
            (The contract info is taken from Eldridge's article so if there are any other factors I'm not aware of I can include them.)
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post
              Looking at the situation from a financial perspective, I broke down the potential expenditures into three options:
              1. Keep Brown; 2. Release Brown after this season; 3. Release Brown after next season.

WSU Contracts.JPG
              I estimated a new coach to receive a salary of $1,500,000. Not sure what we have available to get a quality replacement, but KSU is paying Tang $2,100,000 this year. If you terminate Coach Brown's contract this season, you will end up paying in the ballpark of $3 million more than if you waited an additional season when Brown's buyout drops to 50% for the final two years. It would be interesting to know what type of decrease in ticket sales the Athletic Department projects versus if they hire a new coach and see a potential uptick in sales. If the AD moves away from Brown, Saal must also have the donors ready to lay down some significant NIL money to attract a team the new coach thinks he can win with and retain for more than one season.
              (The contract info is taken from Eldridge's article so if there are any other factors I'm not aware of I can include them.)
              Nice job. With these numbers, it doesn't make sense to fire IB. I would say you need to factor in what happens with season tickets. I would not expect season tickets to fall to much further. I would look at historical numbers to see how bad it got in the 90's. That is probably the low point.

For the new coach hire, you can look at what happened with Turgeon and Marshall to get an idea of how much tickets sales could recover. It will depend the excitement of the hire. There is a thread with where I showed attendance levels through the Turgeon that you can get some estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                You guys act like Saul can simply pass Go and collect the money. This is not Monopoly money. Whether he wants to make a change or not, the money comes into play. Finding the money will be harder than ever. Do not hold it against Saul if there is not a change this year. I have faith in him that he will do the right thing. However, it may not be as soon as everyone wants.
                “Find the deal, and the money will find you.” - Colby Sandlian
                The Assman

Comment

If there's mutual interest with Turgeon I wonder if he'd be willing to take a cheap deal (at least for the first few years).

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                    If there's mutual interest with Turgeon I wonder if he'd be willing to take a cheap deal (at least for the first few years).
                    considering he knows the work required and isn't trying to prove himself, I would say "I doubt it"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

considering he knows the work required and isn't trying to prove himself, I would say "I doubt it"
                      I was coming at from more of a "how much does a few hundred thousand extra matter when you're a multi-millionaire living in Wichita, Kansas?" angle.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I was coming at from more of a "how much does a few hundred thousand extra matter when you're a multi-millionaire living in Wichita, Kansas?" angle.
                        I guess the question is, what is a cheap deal? $1.5M a year? That's pretty cheap for a coach like Turgeon.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post

WSU Contracts.JPG
                          Significant, for sure. The game has changed in the last year radically.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            No money. Two years left on his contract at 1.1per and I believe 2 more for fhcGM at over 5 per. So unless they find some money he will be here another year. I saw first hand how poor the Athletic department is in KC when no Cheerleaders or band or mascot was present and used a local high school band.
                            Didn't we use a high school band and no cheerleaders the last time we played in KC?

Comment

• This is how far we’ve fallen; we win a game comfortably early Sunday afternoon. I know the Chiefs played Sunday night, but nothing, nada mention during the channel 12 sports segment and nothing, nada following on Sports Sunday. Nothing, nada on any Monday television sports segment that I watched. It’s like a tree falling in the forest; "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Did we even win a game Sunday? Only the handful of people watching live would even know a game was played. Yes, college basketball has changed, but this city has always loved the Shockers and we’re at an all-time low point. People obviously don’t care and have lost interest.

We can do nothing or take the bull by the horns, make a change and shoot for the stars. Too many people (including myself and family) have ‘invested’ in this program during our lifetimes. It can be done with the proper leadership and coaching.

It’s time to get it done.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Nice job. With these numbers, it doesn't make sense to fire IB. I would say you need to factor in what happens with season tickets. I would not expect season tickets to fall to much further. I would look at historical numbers to see how bad it got in the 90's. That is probably the low point.

For the new coach hire, you can look at what happened with Turgeon and Marshall to get an idea of how much tickets sales could recover. It will depend the excitement of the hire. There is a thread with where I showed attendance levels through the Turgeon that you can get some estimate.
                                Using $600 per ticket * 3,000 (max) more tickets = $1,800,000. Any additional SAS0 $$ have to go towards scholarships.

Comment

Working...
                                X