2023 AfterShocks and TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ky-mike View Post
    We no longer own the top 5 attendance records. Louisville broke into the top five last night with 5,463 in attendance (#4, I think)
    They were 4 before we broke the record again last night so we have the Top 4

Comment

• RH: Koch Arena And Its Fans Are A Common Bond For Shockers

Art Louvar (1970-73) met Shocker coach Paul Mills and told him how seeing Dave Stallworth play at Chicago Stadium as a youngster in the 1960's sold him on Wichita State. Matt Clark (2000-04) returned to campus for the first time in 10 years and hung out with teammate Bret Wise (2002-04). Father-son Shockers Ryan Herrs (1992-96) and Jacob Herrs (2017-2021) spanned generations.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Kelly is a coach on the floor, communicator extraordinaire, and is not concerned with one damn thing but winning. He wouldn’t have made up 23 points last night but he makes a huge difference

Comment

• If anything, we basically guaranteed to host TBT as long as we have a team.

Comment

• Back to Rashard: He did drive me the occasion batshit crazy with his three pointers in college, but he also is one of my top ten favorite players and more importantly, student-athletes, in Shocker basketball history, which at least spans back to the mid 70s for me. Winning 112 games in fours years, he was the epitome of Play Angry.

Comment

• Erik Stevenson gets a Tech and fouls out (with 6 fouls at that) of their game and West Virginia loses to Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Erik Stevenson gets a Tech and fouls out (with 6 fouls at that) of their game and West Virginia loses to Marshall
                My heart shatters over this news.

78-65

Comment

• No way!!! He's such a fine young man. Has to be disinformation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Erik Stevenson gets a Tech and fouls out (with 6 fouls at that) of their game and West Virginia loses to Marshall
                    Daughter in law from Huntington, Mom is a Marshall grad. My 8 year old grandson's middle name is Marshall. They feel about WV like WSU fans feel about KU.

Comment

• If you are the GM of the Aftershocks, what do you do for next year?
                      1. Keep roughly the same team, and hope to pull out a couple wins again at Koch?
                      2. Try to improve the roster with better WSU alumni talent, sprinkled in with non-WSU alumni? Maybe that gets you back to the Final Four.
                      3. Something out of the box and combine the best WSU talent with another school’s talent (i.e. K State). (Don’t jump on me, just using K State as an example). In other words, put together a roster that has local interest that could actually win it.

Comment

• #4: What if an enterprising businessman made this deal with some higher-level pros?

Players and coaches are GUARANTEED to get paid regardless of outcome:

1) They will get:

- $10k to come train for 2 full weeks and play in this tournament, minus $500 for each day of training missed.
                        - all travel expenses paid which includes
                        + travel to and from Wichita to train
                        + travel to and from finals site
                        + daily meals of $40/diem
                        + room and board of $125/diem (two players/coaches per room)

2) If the players and coaches win it all they get another $15k bonus,

3) The entrepreneur is taking the risk, so he keeps the prize money for compensation if they win it all.

That _should_ get you a higher quality pro, if they know they aren't coming up with expenses out of pocket, and they know they are guaranteed compensation.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I like a mix of 3&4. Keep local Interest and guarantee money + performance incentives.

Comment

• Coaching probably needs to be addressed. I saw Heiar at some point over the weekend, and he told me that Zack is almost hesitant to jump on the guys and coach them hard because he doesn’t have their stature. Zack also seemed a bit clueless of what to do when things started to go bad.

You could do a whole lot worse than having Heiar coach this squad.
                            78-65

Comment

• I was wondering about that too. Absolutely nothing against Zach, great guy.

Thinking either Clevin or probably unpopular opinion, Lindstead. With Zach moving to Omaha, perhaps now is a good time to consider it?

Comment

• I think you have to keep the WSU base. It's what draws the people in. Also if we step back and look, I'm guessing very few other teams have won at least 3 games each of the last 3 years like the Aftershocks have.

Strictly from a fan perspective, I want them to be good enough to play the Max number of games in Wichita as possible. While I'd love for the players to get that extra money by winning, as a fan, the games outside of Wichita have much lower interest for me.

I know they have sponsors, so as long as they are happy with the amount they get by playing in Wichita and they continue to win enough to play the majority of the games in Wichita then I don't think it's a good idea to get too far from the shocker alum base.

Comment

Working...
                                X