2023 AfterShocks and TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Unfortunately that pretty much applied to just about everyone on the AfterShocks' roster.
    Walker was one of the best players on the team. He was "found", days before the start of the tournament, living in Wichita, after finishing up a season playing in the top league in France.

The absence of Kelly was significant. Willis was not an adequate replacement for Kelly. Frankamp is so much not a PG that he shouldn't even bring the ball upcourt. A healthy Gilbert would have helped the team. There didn't seem to be anyone who could bring the ball up the court with any pace at all.

Aftershocks need former WSU players to make fan interest, but with Echenique, Etienne, Shamet, VanVleet, Reaves (?) in or trying to get in the NBA, Baker retired and Cotton not interested, there aren't that many former Shockers that can compete with a team like Heartfire that isn't related to a school, but rather the better Euro players that can be assembled for TBT.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• All of these assessments seem pretty spot on… thanks to the guys for coming back and doing good things!

Comment

• We should leverage Marcus Lee to reel in some additional Kentucky alums that are still playing at high level. Create a Kentucky/WSU combined team that would generate interest from 2 passionate fanbases.

Comment

• Phee-eewww!

It was like watching the Shocks, circa 2015, beating the hell out of Bradley.

Comment

• Maybe this has been asked already, but anyone know if they still split the tickets sales like years' past?

I think it was:
            1/4 to host team
            1/4 to host venue
            1/2 to TBT/ESPN

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
              Maybe this has been asked already, but anyone know if they still split the tickets sales like years' past?

I think it was:
              1/4 to host team
              1/4 to host venue
              1/2 to TBT/ESPN
              I’ve asked that question three times and have yet to get the same answer.

These are the choices:

Yes those percentages are correct;

Any money split between host and WSU is agreed upon by them and not public;

Host team only gets 25% of games they play in.

I find it odd this detail is so obscure.

Last edited by shoxlax; July 26, 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                and Cotton not interested,
                Has it it been stated why that is the case?
                The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Has it it been stated why that is the case?
                  I think he's just trying to be careful and not do something that might cause an injury in the offseason. What we really need is skilled guys with length. That group last night had 3 guys on the court at all times around 6'10" and they pretty much all shot 3s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Walker was one of the best players on the team. He was "found", days before the start of the tournament, living in Wichita, after finishing up a season playing in the top league in France.

The absence of Kelly was significant. Willis was not an adequate replacement for Kelly. Frankamp is so much not a PG that he shouldn't even bring the ball upcourt. A healthy Gilbert would have helped the team. There didn't seem to be anyone who could bring the ball up the court with any pace at all.

Aftershocks need former WSU players to make fan interest, but with Echenique, Etienne, Shamet, VanVleet, Reaves (?) in or trying to get in the NBA, Baker retired and Cotton not interested, there aren't that many former Shockers that can compete with a team like Heartfire that isn't related to a school, but rather the better Euro players that can be assembled for TBT.
                    Yes, Kelly would have helped. I like some of what Willis can do, but with Kelly, Willis' minutes would have been fewer, and they would have had better alternatives to compensate for Willis' rebounding. Willis' length on defense is good, because he can guard tall players on the perimeter and his rebounding is good. But his offense, is sometimes too much (shooting), and he doesn't tone it down when he isn't making shots. Kelly has the same skill set with a stronger BBIQ. Kelly isn't quite as good at shot blocking, but his wide body helps him on defense while close to the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      What we really need is skilled guys with length. That group last night had 3 guys on the court at all times around 6'10" and they pretty much all shot and made 3s.
                      FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yes, Kelly would have helped. I like some of what Willis can do, but with Kelly, Willis' minutes would have been fewer, and they would have had better alternatives to compensate for Willis' rebounding. Willis' length on defense is good, because he can guard tall players on the perimeter and his rebounding is good. But his offense, is sometimes too much (shooting), and he doesn't tone it down when he isn't making shots. Kelly has the same skill set with a stronger BBIQ. Kelly isn't quite as good at shot blocking, but his wide body helps him on defense while close to the basket.
                        Agree on Kelly over Willis. Kelly is a much improved offensive player as a pro and he's not the type to try to make plays when there's not one there. How many times does Willis need to try to drive lane, do a spin move while dribbling the ball 3 feet from his body or miss 3 pointers before he realizes that's not his game? Willis is really good at some things and even better when he limits his game to those things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Agree on Kelly over Willis. Kelly is a much improved offensive player as a pro and he's not the type to try to make plays when there's not one there. How many times does Willis need to try to drive lane, do a spin move while dribbling the ball 3 feet from his body or miss 3 pointers before he realizes that's not his game? Willis is really good at some things and even better when he limits his game to those things.
                          The Mrs. and I might have broke a record for “dammit Willis” last night. Lordy, that was ‘hard’ on the old eyes. We thought Willis might be throwing the game… “just give it away”.
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The Mrs. and I might have broke a record for “dammit Willis” last night. Lordy, that was ‘hard’ on the old eyes. We thought Willis might be throwing the game… “just give it away”.
                            George Strait - Give it away - YouTube

Comment

• Despite the lack luster finish, it was still a great summer tournament, and it was a lot of fun for the crowd.

Comment

• We no longer own the top 5 attendance records. Louisville broke into the top five last night with 5,463 in attendance (#4, I think)

Comment

Working...
                                X