Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Last year, the lion's share of Athletic Department revenue came from "Contributions" equal to $7.2M. $5.4M of that comes from YOU, the season ticket holder, in the form of SASO contributions. (Your season ticket purchase really matters, folks!) That means the "big donor" being talked about around here donated $1.8M.

Then student fees equated to $4.2M. Thanks, Bardo, for getting this rocket ship into orbit.

However, the Athletic Department also has this really interesting source of revenue: Direct Institutional Support. That can consist of unrestricted funds and unrestricted endowments the university is sitting on. Last year that was $3.5M.

Considering that WSU is skyrocketing to a whole 'nother level of university, it's quite possible that the university is the "donor". Or at least the "guarantor" to ADKS that he has the green light to make the changes he needs to make. If so, that makes it possible that a traditional national coaching search is going to happen (or is already under way via consultants), and that there is no coach with an envelope sitting on their desk yet.

Just throwing out another possibility. Or at least there could be a combination of things in play (coach already determined, but money coming from university not a big donor).
    Not the case at least with the coach. I think some of the stadium rebuild might be sourced as you say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

you must not like winning Dan.
      If that’s the rationale, there must be about 300 teams that don’t like winning because they’re all eligible to hire him

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

It's not Prohm. That much I can assure you.

That is all.
        C'mon man...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Taylor says Kellen hasn’t interviewed. His agent reached out to WSU though.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Not really Turgeon's interview/press conference style from what I remember. But at the very least is proven he can win and get to the dance if nothing else. And would be stability.

We could do better than Turg. But we could do a LOT worse also.

As others have said. If he is 100% bought in and coaches his ass off, I would get behind it.
            I'm not sure about Turgeon getting us in the dance most years. He was here 7 years and we went 1 time. Chris Jans would be great.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• IF it was nearly done prior to the termination, and Turgeon was the hire, wouldn't it be announced, or more of a sure thing at this point? It's not like Turgeon is coaching in the tournament. He's not my number 1 pick, but he's certainly not far down my list. He's got history, he's not a first year head coach, and we know he CAN be successful. But like the rest, I want to know he WANTS to be here. My first choice is Bob Richie but only because there should be some Kid Rock references. Bawitdaba

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

I'm not sure about Turgeon getting us in the dance most years. He was here 7 years and we went 1 time. Chris Jans would be great.
                More talking about over his whole career. He went quite a bit when he left us.

Plus we arent as big of a rebuild as we were when he took over the first time. You know....the whole no postseason for a couple decades....

So I think he could get us back there sooner rather than later.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I'm totally guessing here but we could be waiting on Jans to get thru the tournament - and getting a yes or no at that point. If it's no - I would guess that it would be Turg.

With plenty of NIL $$ - Either one could rebuild to what we were in 2013-2018 era or Houston's current era

I wouldn't be disappointed with Kellen either - but I'd rather have someone who is proven.

Comment

• In re:

Lutz - somebody tell him he’s the Sex Panther of prognostication (12 percent of the time he’s right every time)

Sampson - a friend of mine played for Kelvin and was under the impression that Kellen was coach in waiting at UH. Hard pass if that is true. In addition to the hard pass on somebody who probably sees our job as a stepping stone and we have to sweat replacing every time we win a game or two in the tournament. My friend also said Sampson assistants tend to burn out and not succeed as head coaches. Maybe that is different with a son but… hard pass anyway. Plus Kung’s great point on the longshot nature of assistant coach hires.

Jans - gotta be the #1 choice (see DeVries comment). Isn’t this hire mostly about reestablishing the identity of the program? And wasn’t the identity of the program at or near an all time high (in alignment with how we like to see the game played) with Jans as head assistant? Whoever said throw the haymaker and make him say no, I agree with that. Hopefully the rich dudes are too. Also - if he was definitely out, he would have declined publicly already so his team could focus and recruits could know. So much for 99.999 percent.

Griffin - I love the guy, played against him in high school, and am genuinely intrigued at what he might be able to do. He was a nasty NBA defender (I think he was near the top all time in steals per minute); if he built a lunch pail defense program with NBA talent…

DeVries - no offense to people who see Creighton and immediately think “success”, I agree and get it. I always liked and respected their team and coach but… is that really the basketball - our identity - that we want to watch? I thought the difference between us and other fan bases, which I think Marshall and Turge understood and appreciated, was that we wanted to watch scrappy defensive-oriented “we’re gonna f*** you up 55 ways from Tuesday with our effort” basketball that gave Aaron Craft and everyone like him nightmares… and that’s not Creighton. I haven’t watched Drake and don’t know them. But if you give me a choice between watching a bunch of nice 3 point shooters running off screens or Jans/whoever putting a complete effort on the floor… it’s not a choice to me.

Turge - I like the guy and what he did. And how he did it. But at his age (ahem, level… see what I did there)…? Seems like another stopgap when what we need - especially if booster money is there - is a big swing to reestablish program identity for a decade or more.

Kelsey et al - No idea. Thanks for educating me, those who have been plugged in and watching.

Facebook wackos - somebody tell them to stay in their lane and keep it down while real work is getting done. This game is about competition and we need competitors who can’t wait to howl at the moon.

PS

A genuine thanks and good luck to Coach Brown for stepping into a difficult situation and doing his best, even if it didn't fit what was needed.

Comment

More talking about over his whole career. He went quite a bit when he left us.

Plus we arent as big of a rebuild as we were when he took over the first time. You know....the whole no postseason for a couple decades....

So I think he could get us back there sooner rather than later.
                      The year after Turgeon/WSU was in the dance, he was 17-14 and then left the following year. His rebuild was rather short lived and the cupboard was really bare when Marshall came in to replace him. Chris Jans would be great.
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

The year after Turgeon/WSU was in the dance, he was 17-14 and then left the following year. His rebuild was rather short lived and the cupboard was really bare when Marshall came in to replace him. Chris Jans would be great.
                        Totally ignored what I said....got it. Lol

Probably won't be Turgeon or Chris Jans. So hopefully you think someone else would be great.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• If Jans calls 3G for advice, what would that advice be?

Coach where you are loved.

Is that MSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            If Jans calls 3G for advice, what would that advice be?

Coach where you are loved.

Is that MSU?
                            He is quite loved there I am sure. But is he as loved as football?

Comment

He is quite loved there I am sure. But is he as loved as football?
                              They partially fill up the arena once football season is over

Comment

So it’s Chris Jans or nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X