Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Probably doesn't hurt when you have a nine figure football bump to smooth out the financial edges.
    Haven’t you heard? We have the same resources as SEC schools!
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Would being hired cut off all payments from L'ville? Or would it be like some where He's still guaranteed 4M but the payments from L'ville only cover the difference in his salary? I know I've seen things like that in the past because the coach takes a job and is essentially accused (or the hiring school is) of underpaying him so that previous school still has to continue paying a larger amount?

If it's the latter, you could offer him 1M or so, which I think is in the ballpark of what we're looking at, could be a bit higher depending on donors, and L'ville would still be dishing out 3M or so and it would get him back into coaching while still making bank. I don't know how long L'ville is set to pay him, but as funds for 3G and Wedge fall off the book he could get a raise and hopefully we're winning and building and the donors and fans are both mostly back and his compensation for success would continue to grow.

It could be where any coaching job voids future payments from L'ville and at that point, he'd have to decide if taking a 1M a year job to get back into coaching and building back his reputation is worth forgoing the 4M guarantee he has right now.

There is no mitigation clause.

"The Severance shall not be subject to offset or reduction related to Mack's employment status or income subsequent to the Effective Date of the Agreement"

So he's getting paid his full severance (4.8 million) no matter what.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There is no mitigation clause.

"The Severance shall not be subject to offset or reduction related to Mack's employment status or income subsequent to the Effective Date of the Agreement"

So he's getting paid his full severance (4.8 million) no matter what.
        In that case, you still might be able to work out a favorable deal that escalates as committed money falls off the books.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I would love nothing more than for HCIB to continue the coaching trend of failing upwards.

That's not sarcasm either, I want a new coach but I also would love for HCIB to get a solid nice paying gig after WSU. He's got potential IMO, just not the right fit for a first job at WSU.
          Not wishing him any ill-will, but I believe he has "skipped" a step (or two). Perhaps the best thing for him to do is what he should have done before taking on a position of head coach at WSU. Others put years of time into learning the art of being a head coach at lower levels. He learned a little, but some not all, during his interim year.

The other part of that is that may give him more time to learn how to schmooze the doners, because that IS important at this level.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Brad Stevens.
            Would be unfathomable but incredible

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not wishing him any ill-will, but I believe he has "skipped" a step (or two). Perhaps the best thing for him to do is what he should have done before taking on a position of head coach at WSU. Others put years of time into learning the art of being a head coach at lower levels. He learned a little, but some not all, during his interim year.

The other part of that is that may give him more time to learn how to schmooze the doners, because that IS important at this level.
              IB just doesn't have the personality to schmooze donors. That ability is crucial with the next hire.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

IB just doesn't have the personality to schmooze donors. That ability is crucial with the next hire.
                this, 1,000 times

Comment

• The problem isn't that he can't schmooze donors. The problem is that he's not winning enough games. He could be a monk, if we were undefeated and a projected #1 seed, and no one would complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                    The problem isn't that he can't schmooze donors. The problem is that he's not winning enough games. He could be a monk, if we were undefeated and a projected #1 seed, and no one would complain.
                    Not sure I agree. In college sports, the HC is the face of the program and the big donors want access to him. Schmoozing donors is a big part of the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Not sure I agree. In college sports, the HC is the face of the program and the big donors want access to him. Schmoozing donors is a big part of the job.
                      Extroverted people are perceived as being more likable. But if he was winning at a high level, no one would care. It might even be portrayed as his advantage that he is above the fray. These complaints about his personality are after-the-fact rationalizations that people bring up because they are upset that he's not winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

Extroverted people are perceived as being more likable. But if he was winning at a high level, no one would care. It might even be portrayed as his advantage that he is above the fray. These complaints about his personality are after-the-fact rationalizations that people bring up because they are upset that he's not winning.
                        While partially true, bringing money into the program helps with winning. So all of it is important

Comment

• Just watched the end of the Miss St and TAM game. Coach Jans won the game and they interviewed him afterwards. I really miss him. He was a fun guy and a great coach. Wish we could get him, but there is no chance at this point. PS, Dexter played his usual Dex game, didn't score much and airballed a 3 towards the end but defends his tail off.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Considering GM's coaching tree, it's quite remarkable where we landed...of all the disciples we go with this one.

Comment

• Jans was a good coach before 3G

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Jans was a good coach before 3G
                                I agree with you, but ISU Red fans didn’t think so after the teams he coached on at ISU were losers. GM and WSU put him back on the winning track.

Comment

Working...
                                X