Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm guessing they want to get a jump start on either Chris Beard or Will Wade. Personally, I think they should take a long, hard look at an up-and-coming coach from Pascagoula, Mississippi by the name of Isaac Brown.
    I would love nothing more than for HCIB to continue the coaching trend of failing upwards.

That's not sarcasm either, I want a new coach but I also would love for HCIB to get a solid nice paying gig after WSU. He's got potential IMO, just not the right fit for a first job at WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I would love nothing more than for HCIB to continue the coaching trend of failing upwards.

That's not sarcasm either, I want a new coach but I also would love for HCIB to get a solid nice paying gig after WSU. He's got potential IMO, just not the right fit for a first job at WSU.
      Agreed. I hold no ill-will towards HCIB and wish him the absolute best in his career moving forward. He also seems like a genuinely great human being.

Comment

Probably trying to close the deal early with a Beard or Pitino or one of the big names out there.
        If that's the case, that's how a school serious about winning gets things done.
        The Assman

Comment

• Was reading through https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-hot-seat-next

One name that came out that I kinda forgot about but might be a solid hire is Chris Mack. Currently not coaching, but in 11 full years of coaching (not counting 2020 covid cancelled year and the year he was termed mid season) he made 9 NCAA tourneys (8 at Xavier) with 4 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite Eight. His firing at Louisville by all accounts appeared that he was the scape goat for a former assistant who got caught up in extortion charges (Mack recorded a conversation in which the assistant tried to extort him to keep his job then handed the recording to Louisville officials who in turn fired Mack for "violating rules" without saying specifically what he did).

Might be a guy who is hungry to prove himself again and has shown he can compete in a high level conference (3 Big East Titles)

Comment

Was reading through https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-hot-seat-next

One name that came out that I kinda forgot about but might be a solid hire is Chris Mack. Currently not coaching, but in 11 full years of coaching (not counting 2020 covid cancelled year and the year he was termed mid season) he made 9 NCAA tourneys (8 at Xavier) with 4 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite Eight. His firing at Louisville by all accounts appeared that he was the scape goat for a former assistant who got caught up in extortion charges (Mack recorded a conversation in which the assistant tried to extort him to keep his job then handed the recording to Louisville officials who in turn fired Mack for "violating rules" without saying specifically what he did).

Might be a guy who is hungry to prove himself again and has shown he can compete in a high level conference (3 Big East Titles)
            Big East Coach of the Year in 2018. A-10 Coach of the year in 2011. Only 53 years old too.

Haven't heard his name mentioned very much this cycle but he would be near the top of my list if there were mutual interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

"Mack eventually would lead his 2018 Xavier squad to the school's first No. 1 seed, becoming the 1-seed in the NCAA Tournament's West Region." Sounds familiar.

Haven't heard his name mentioned very much this cycle but he would be near the top of my list if there is mutual interest.
              Zero idea if there is mutual interest. ADKS being from the area he coached can't hurt. Just was a name that came out of no where when reading it because its not only a solid resume but his reasoning for being fired was extremely soft and much more forgivable (in the public eye) than some of the other fired big name coaches.

Comment

• In my opinion, Mack would be the best pairing of appearing like a realistic option and a home run hire that's been mentioned to this point. Biggest question is how much will his hiring lower his salary because he had been making 4 million per year at Louisville and I would guess that's a good bit hire than WSU can afford right now unless some donors really like the idea.

Comment

• Brad Stevens.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Brad Stevens.
                    Looks at name... Looks at name of who posted... Either inside info or sarcastic trolling...

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
                      In my opinion, Mack would be the best pairing of appearing like a realistic option and a home run hire that's been mentioned to this point. Biggest question is how much will his hiring lower his salary because he had been making 4 million per year at Louisville and I would guess that's a good bit hire than WSU can afford right now unless some donors really like the idea.
                      Could offer a contract that starts around $1-1.5m and then increases each time a series of buyout payments ends for Wedge, Marshall, and Brown lol

Comment

In my opinion, Mack would be the best pairing of appearing like a realistic option and a home run hire that's been mentioned to this point. Biggest question is how much will his hiring lower his salary because he had been making 4 million per year at Louisville and I would guess that's a good bit hire than WSU can afford right now unless some donors really like the idea.
                        I'm not sure how relevant your salary from 2 years ago is when you are unemployed. Though maybe why that's why he hasn't been tied to anywhere because his demands are too high.

Comment

Would being hired cut off all payments from L'ville? Or would it be like some where He's still guaranteed 4M but the payments from L'ville only cover the difference in his salary? I know I've seen things like that in the past because the coach takes a job and is essentially accused (or the hiring school is) of underpaying him so that previous school still has to continue paying a larger amount?

If it's the latter, you could offer him 1M or so, which I think is in the ballpark of what we're looking at, could be a bit higher depending on donors, and L'ville would still be dishing out 3M or so and it would get him back into coaching while still making bank. I don't know how long L'ville is set to pay him, but as funds for 3G and Wedge fall off the book he could get a raise and hopefully we're winning and building and the donors and fans are both mostly back and his compensation for success would continue to grow.

It could be where any coaching job voids future payments from L'ville and at that point, he'd have to decide if taking a 1M a year job to get back into coaching and building back his reputation is worth forgoing the 4M guarantee he has right now.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Brad Stevens.
                            Only if he brings Danny Ainge with him
                            The Assman

Comment

• Stevens makes $3.6 mil on a level playing field as DO for the Celtics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

If that's the case, that's how a school serious about winning gets things done.
                                Probably doesn't hurt when you have a nine figure football bump to smooth out the financial edges.

Comment

Working...
                                X