Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That article is starting to set off some alarms but I’m hoping it’s just some words being misused and/or Taylor not having the most well-connected sources.

1. Jans should be target number one and we shouldn’t need “donors pushing to make a run at him.” This should’ve already been figured out before Brown was even fired and these donors need to get together and decide what they’re willing to offer.
    2. Turgeon should not have already been “offered” the position. I totally get gauging his interest as a backup option but refer to #1. He also shouldn’t be “offered” anything until we gauge interest with Kelsey, Richey, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Yep.

I still don't get all of the negative on MT, compared to all of the love for Jans. Their resumes aren't even comparable. I think it would be great if Jans came back, but I am not understanding the fawning.
      I understand the fawning over Jans, but I agree with not getting the negative feelings for Turgeon. He probably doesn't have the same fire that he did 20 years ago regardless, so it's a moot point.

He gave us so much and allowed us to get Marshall. Hard to be upset about that or even have negative feelings there. He can coach, obviously, but maybe wasn't the best fit at this point even if he did want the job.

Best wishes to Mark. Wichita State Basketball is still better for having you as a coach.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        That article is starting to set off some alarms but I’m hoping it’s just some words being misused and/or Taylor not having the most well-connected sources.

1. Jans should be target number one and we shouldn’t need “donors pushing to make a run at him.” This should’ve already been figured out before Brown was even fired and these donors need to get together and decide what they’re willing to offer.
        2. Turgeon should not have already been “offered” the position. I totally get gauging his interest as a backup option but refer to #1. He also shouldn’t be “offered” anything until we gauge interest with Kelsey, Richey, etc.
        I know some are jaded but of all the names mentioned linked to the job, Turgeon has the best resume and it's not really close. So I get why ADKS might have wanted to go that direction. Really the only knock on Turgeon was if he still had to drive to succeed but he's younger than most probably realize. I know I guessed like 10 years older than he actually is.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          That article is starting to set off some alarms but I’m hoping it’s just some words being misused and/or Taylor not having the most well-connected sources.

Meh, most of our targets are still coaching so I'm not terribly worried. Again, like all of us, we would love to have Jans, but that was a long shot from day one.

Kelsey, Mills, Richey, McCasland, Lutz are all still on the table because they're still coaching their teams, even if some of them will get more high-profile jobs. If they start to drop like flies, then we should be concerned. At this point, nothing to worry about.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea, wondering if the wording is a bit off. If he was offered the job or just asked if he was interested.
            That is what I am thinking (hoping?) too. Surprised it wouldn’t have already been known that he didn’t want to coach by Sunday given he isn’t coaching. Should have know this a while back.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I'm disappointed in Saal if this is accurate.

Yahoo - No Shocker reunion: Mark Turgeon won't return as Wichita State basketball head coach

If this was his top pick, yuck.
              In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is ZERO chance Kevin offered Mark the job, so that Mark could actually turn it down.

That is not how it is done. That is what coaches say, but nuance often, if not always, gets by them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                Good for Mark. I suspect that his son still being in high school was a factor. I would have loved for him to return but more importantly want him to enjoy life. I would have absolutely hated it if he took the job but then was miserable in January and regretted the decision.

Onward and upward.
                NM, it appears there is a younger son.

Comment

• Assuming CJ is not an option, Kelsey jumps to the top of my list

Comment

• This certainly must be old news, or worded a bit more harsh than it actually was. No way Saal does not have a conversation with Turgeon before he fires Brown.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Conversation with Turgeon had to have been a few ago. I agree with Doc. I think there were discussions but not offered. Just a gauge of interest.

Comment

• Taylor has clarified he can't confirm that Turgeon was ever fully offered. Also said Turgeon still feels coaching burn out and instead might end up just a consultant in the future

Comment

• For me, the best coach is someone under 55 with clear records of bringing a team to the postseason (and hopefully, doing better on advanced stats). Here is a non-exhaustive look at some of the coaches under 55 that have made the tournament in the last two years and that might be poachable (sorted by best KenPom), alongside some others:
                          • Chris Mack (.676), Xavier teams were elite while Louisville teams suffered quick decline, KenPom high of 9
                          • Kevin Ollie (.617), Connecticut teams included a national championship, last two years vacated over booster benefits, KenPom high of 15
                          • Ryan Odom (.627), UMBC and Utah State teams have made postseason 4 of 6 years, KenPom high of 18 (major outlier; most years around 150)
                          • Dusty May (.622), Florida Atlantic team has made 3 postseasons in 6 years, KenPom high of 21
                          • Grant McCasland (.659), North Texas teams have made NCAA 1 time in 5 years, KenPom high of 41
                          • Mike Rhoades (.611), VCU team has made post-season fairly often, five-year KenPom high of 42
                          • Chris Jans (.742), Mississippi State and NMSU teams have made five of 6 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 51
                          • Mystery Coach (.700), low-major team has made 7 of 9 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 51 (comparison only)
                          • John Becker (.647), Vermont team has made the post-season in basically every season with a postseason, has a scandal, Kenpom high of 54
                          • Darien DeVries (.722), Drake team has made postseason every year, KenPom high of 55
                          • Joe Pasternack (.620), UC Santa Barbara has made 3 of 4 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 58
                          • Bob Richey (.719), Furman team has made postseason 3 of 7 years but just 1 NCAA tournament, KenPom high of 59
                          • Isaac Brown (.585), Wichita State comparison made 1 of 3 postseasons, KenPom high of 68 (comparison only)

Everyone here has a career winning percentage or best KenPom rank worse than Isaac Brown
                          • Paul Mills (.561), Oral Roberts team has made 2 tournaments in last 3 years, KenPom high of 57
                          • Jeff Linder (.579), Wyoming team has made 1 of 3 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 65
                          • Rob Senderoff (.628), Kent State team has made the postseason 7 of 11 times, KenPom high of 72
                          • Pat Kelsey (.674), Winthrop and Charleston teams have made 4 of 8 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 73
                          • Matt Langel (.539), Colgate team has made last four NCAA tournaments and won at .727 during that time but were bad before, KenPom high of 89
                          • Danny Sprinkle (.659), Montana State team has made back-to-back NCAA tournaments, no KenPom rankings in top-100
                          • Mike Morrell (.493), UNC-Asheville team has made it to back-to-back postseasons, no KenPom rankings in top-100
                          • Amir Abdur-Rahim (.381), Kennesaw State making its first tournament after three terrible years, KenPom high of 127
                          • Darrin Horn (.642), Northern Kentucky team has made 2 of 4 NCAA tournaments, KenPom high of 144
                          • Steve Lutz (.681), Texas A&M-CC team has made NCAA twice in a row, KenPom high of 172
                          • Robert Jones (.580), Norfolk State teams have made 7 of 8 postseasons, KenPom of of 176
                          Obviously, a lot of the major questions going forward are about how coaches will recruit under the entirely new paradigm in college sports. Beyond even a competitive standpoint, it is crucial from a fan engagement standpoint to have a coach that not only can recruit from the portal but keep consistency in the team. I cannot tell you how many season ticket holders I saw that have had dwindling interest because the kids they were watching were among those that left the program. Unless we are ranked consistently, I don't expect 10,506 seats filled from any rent-a-roster.

Comment

• KS: Hey Mark, it's Kevin. Listen, we may be looking to make a change at the HC position. I wanted to reach out and see if you'd be interested in getting back into coaching should we want to start negotiations with you.

MT: Hey Kevin. Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate your potential consideration in your plans for the direction of WSU basketball going forward, but at this time I am not interested in getting back into the coaching profession.

KS: I totally understand. We are looking into multiple options, but I would have been doing myself and the university a disservice if I didn't at least reach out to gauge interest for any potential candidate. I hope you are enjoying retirement and good luck in your future endeavors.

MT: Thank you Kevin. I wish you and Wichita State the best of luck. I had several great years there and I know how important and special that program is. Reach out anytime you want.

BREAKING!!!! MARK TURGEON TURNS DOWN WICHITA STATE!!!!
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              . Beyond even a competitive standpoint, it is crucial from a fan engagement standpoint to have a coach that not only can recruit from the portal but keep consistency in the team. I cannot tell you how many season ticket holders I saw that have had dwindling interest because the kids they were watching were among those that left the program. Unless we are ranked consistently, I don't expect 10,506 seats filled from any rent-a-roster.
                              This probably cannot be understated. Even if our win/loss record was the exact same, I'm guessing we would have had significantly more home attendance had Dennis, Udeze, and maybe one or two others remained with the team this past season.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I don't get the hate for Mark. Dude made our program relevant. I remember emailing him years ago when he was at Maryland. One of the last thing he replied to me was his best times were at WSU and had nothing but love for the Shockers.

Comment

Working...
                                X