Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Yeah we couldn’t afford to be too picky then. Maybe we (I) need to acknowledge that we aren’t in a place to attract Tom Izzo and that success right away looks like a team playing better at the end of the year than the beginning.

To be fair, I thought we looked better at the end of this year than any time in the last two. That wasn’t enough to save IB and I don’t know that it should have been. This guy Mills has a tough job ahead of him and zero banked goodwill if things get rocky.
    Lmao. Maybe hobby horse competitions are more your speed? I don’t know any major sport where a coach can suck for three years and expect to keep his job.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• End of the day our new coach is exactly that...our coach... Can't wait for this new chapter to begin...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Just settle down dingleberry. It's gonna' be alright...
        You’re the last person on this planet that should be telling anybody to settle down, twatwaffle.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

I think I just found the best argument for Mills over Devries: nonconference strength of schedule ranking (per KenPom):
          ORU Drake
          2023 15 229
          2022 82 284
          2021 4 309
          2020 6 324
          2019 56 140
          I know that adjusted defense accounts for SOS, but sometimes facing much more athletic teams results in being overwhelmed more than the adjustment can account for. Mills was willing to risk that by putting together challenging schedules. Devries played a lot of patsies to rack up those 20 win seasons.
          That’s a fair point on win totals and strength of schedules but as you said, kenpom already adjusts to that. Either you buy kenpom for what the rankings are universally or you don’t.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Point taken. I was just sharing with the group that Drake could match with up superior athletes and win, citing their victory over Jans' Bulldogs as proof. Nothing more or less beyond that.

I was no more privy to negotiations than you or anyone else on this board, and at this point, it really doesn't matter. At least not to me.
            You have a weird obsession with using one game outliers to try and prove a point.

Since Alcorn State whooped our asses at home last year, does that make SWAC level teams on par with Wichita State?

Doofus.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The Shox taking some buy games next year instead of paying SWAC teams $80K to come here might be a necessity. Remove 4 worthless for fans home games that cost $80K each and replace them with 4 road games against teams we'd like to watch on the tube and collect $80K for those games is a $640K turnaround in finances. That might be enough to make a significant contribution to PM's salary.
              Here is an updated chart with WSU's noncon sos rankings added:
              ORU Drake WSU
              2023 15 229 236
              2022 82 284 113
              2021 4 309 30
              2020 6 324 223
              2019 56 140 90
              Even with WSU being in a position to be the one buying games from smaller schools (and being on the other end of that spectrum explaining a good deal of ORU's SOS), there is no clear way for me to justify why WSU's noncon sos has been stronger 4 out of 5 years than Drake, with an average of being ~119 spots tougher. Mills coming to WSU likely means an easier non-con, but a harder conference schedule. DeVries coming would have meant a harder noncon and conference schedule.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

I really like this hire.
                A guy who has paid his dues, built a program at ORU, which is next to impossible. Look folks, ORU went 18-0 in The Summit last year!
                I don't car what league you reside, 18-0 is impressive!

People on here need to understand that Jans was not happening. The buyout was more than some third world countries GDP!
                Also, some MSU boosters were stepping up with some extra incentives for him to stay in Starkville. Read into that what you will.
                Once again, it wasn't happening.

Kelsey wasn't leaving Charleston either. Very comfortable there and has school and others support.

I think a lot of you will end up eating some serious crow in a year for two.

That is all.
                Next to impossible? Look at Scott Sutton's record there.

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post

I'll take your tickets off your hands bro
                  There are plenty for you to buy yourself if you wanna help the program instead of just posting "deal with it" on a forum

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

Are you doing another official Roster update soon?
                    I will post one tomorrow.

Comment

• I wanted Sampson but I’ll say this… from the little I researched a few nights ago with the small list of names being thrown around ; Mills is the only one I liked the recruiting gets from the past 3-4 yrs that I could see on recruiting sites. Consistently landed him some dudes. (Outside of Devries getting his son of course). Imagine what someone who can recruit well in a small funded program in a weak league ; can do in the AAC with a well funded program who has solid NIL to boot. Bring 2-3 of your better players with you and move on from 2-3 of our weaker players and I will be SOLD.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Just what we need another hothead jackass. Can we get him fitted for a two link too big wristwatch?
                        Relax BOBB there is room for more than one of you.

Comment

• I wanted 3G or CJ but since this guy sounds like he may have some fire, I’ll give him a chance. I got nowhere else to go :(

Comment

• He seems to have the competitive fire of a FHCGM without some of the non-coaching baggage.

I trust Kenpom, but it is still data in a vacuum. For instance, if ORU was comfortably winning conference games… defensive metrics could suffer…

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Next to impossible? Look at Scott Sutton's record there.
                              NCAA,
                              When SS was there, ol Oral was really into his basketball and recruiting thus player/student restrictions were not nearly as stringent as they are now.
                              They made changes a few years ago and really clamped down on the type of player they recruited and expectations while on campus.

PM had a much tougher time recruiting players to Tulsa vs SS. Being able to land the level of players he did is impressive.
                              Like an 18-0 record this past year in The Summit League impressive!

People on here need to breathe and give the guy a shot. I think he is solid hire and do we really need to get into who he replaced???

That is all.
                              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You have a weird obsession with using one game outliers to try and prove a point.

Since Alcorn State whooped our asses at home last year, does that make SWAC level teams on par with Wichita State?

Doofus.
                                HE has an obsession with one game outliers, said the guy who has brought up Alcorn State on an almost daily basis?

Comment

Working...
                                X