Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    The last thing we need is another million dollar + 5 year deal with high buyouts. Start around $700k with loads of incentives built in, otherwise we could be back where we are now. This job is a rebuild now and will take 3-4 years to turn around. Not only do they have to recruit and re-recruit our own players every year, they gotta win and get people back into the arena. It’s not the job it was when IB took over.
    I understand what you're saying, but the last thing we need is another million dollar + 5 year deal with high buyouts for an unproven coach. If the salary starts at $700k we're most likely not going to get a high-profile coach with a great resume unless they have some compelling reason to take a discount. I highly doubt most of the higher profile names thrown around here (e.g., Grant McCasland, Pat Kelsey, Niko Medved) are going to take $700k just because they get $150k if they make the Sweet Sixteen. At those lower prices we'd be taking a chance on someone who likely has some question marks around their profile. Taking a chance like that can certainly work out, but there is inherently more risk involved. Either way, any new coach is probably getting a 4-5 year contract since those are pretty standard, so the salary is really the main issue to be debated.

Personally I'd rather the school commit a little more coin to a bigger hire than play it safe because they are afraid of the financial mess if things go wrong.

In addition, rebuilds don't need to take 3-4 years in the transfer portal era. Steve Forbes took a mediocre Wake Forest program to the cusp of the NCAAT in one season.
    Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; January 3, 2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• I've asked this before but... 1. Is a contract paid out if a coach is fired for cause? 2. Does being incompetent meet the definition of "Cause"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Faithful View Post
        I've asked this before but... 1. Is a contract paid out if a coach is fired for cause? 2. Does being incompetent meet the definition of "Cause"?
        1. No. If fired for cause, the contract is void.

2. Sadly, no.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've asked this before but... 1. Is a contract paid out if a coach is fired for cause? 2. Does being incompetent meet the definition of "Cause"?
          Unless IB allegedly starts choking/hitting others we'll owe him the entire contract.

Comment

In Marshall's case, the University was clearly complicit in the alleged conduct / cover up, so they had no basis to fire him for cause and come out on top.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Unless IB allegedly starts choking/hitting others we'll owe him the entire contract.
              No. After the 3rd year he would only get half of the remaining contract if let go. I will be surprised, unless some big dollars appear in the athletic department's coffers, if he's fired before then.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

In Marshall's case, the University was clearly complicit in the alleged conduct / cover up, so they had no basis to fire him for cause and come out on top.
                BINGO!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

No. After the 3rd year he would only get half of the remaining contract if let go. I will be surprised, unless some big dollars appear in the athletic department's coffers, if he's fired before then.
                  And also to be clear .. even though this is his 3rd year coaching .. its the 2nd year of the contract. So after third year means 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I must believe that Saal has made inroads with some of the deep pockets and is set up to take action after this season, barring some miraculous turnaround in play. Saal seems like a passionate guy who is not pleased with how things are. I'm optimistic that his passion and vision will influence enough of the big money donors to do contribute so he can right the ship and get Shocker basketball pointed in the right direction. I know a number of donors were pissed at how the Marshall situation was handled, but those who were in charge at the time are not the ones running the show now and I believe at least some of them can be brought back into the fold with the right vision and leadership. Much like things had crumbled prior to Schaus showing up, Saal can get some of that money back and help build things back up.

Again, if things continue as they are and Brown keeps his job, it will be obvious that Saal has even more work to do with those donors, or in finding new ones. He's obviously not pleased with where things are right now and there's no way he allows things to continue unless his hands are tied. And if they are, that's not a good sign moving forward as it will mean we've been abandoned by deep pockets.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• As I was just reading Sub's post I had a thought that had never occurred to me before. Imagine being a big donor who contributed greatly to keeping Marshall for so long when the bigs came a'courtin. Then the whole Boatright led fiasco happens with him leaving. And your sitting there thinking I believed in Marshall led WSU and now I'm basically stuck with paying for something I'm not getting anything out of currently (getting to watch your investment in Marshall on the sidelines coaching). I can't imagine the sting that must be there for these donors. You make an investment in something and all you get is to watch the management blow it all away.

[spent 5 minutes trying to embed south park "aaaand it's gone" but can't figure it out]

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                        As I was just reading Sub's post I had a thought that had never occurred to me before. Imagine being a big donor who contributed greatly to keeping Marshall for so long when the bigs came a'courtin. Then the whole Boatright led fiasco happens with him leaving. And your sitting there thinking I believed in Marshall led WSU and now I'm basically stuck with paying for something I'm not getting anything out of currently (getting to watch your investment in Marshall on the sidelines coaching). I can't imagine the sting that must be there for these donors. You make an investment in something and all you get is to watch the management blow it all away.

[spent 5 minutes trying to embed south park "aaaand it's gone" but can't figure it out]
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                          As I was just reading Sub's post I had a thought that had never occurred to me before. Imagine being a big donor who contributed greatly to keeping Marshall for so long when the bigs came a'courtin. Then the whole Boatright led fiasco happens with him leaving. And your sitting there thinking I believed in Marshall led WSU and now I'm basically stuck with paying for something I'm not getting anything out of currently (getting to watch your investment in Marshall on the sidelines coaching). I can't imagine the sting that must be there for these donors. You make an investment in something and all you get is to watch the management blow it all away.

Not really hard to imagine for those of us than are not daddy warbucks as we have invested time, energy, hope, pride and much of the money we do have available. In other words, duh! We all feel pissed every which way!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                            Gracias senor WStateU. I can always count on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Not really hard to imagine for those of us than are not daddy warbucks as we have invested time, energy, hope, pride and much of the money we do have available. In other words, duh! We all feel pissed every which way!
                              glad you got that off your chest.

Comment

• Bump
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X