Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs. Central Arkansas (11/07/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be fair to IB, that play only works if you have defenders applying extensive deny pressure, not necessarily on a generic press.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      If fHC3GM were brought back, we'd have instant sell outs again. Not saying that's gonna happen -- but it would be as instant as flipping on a light switch.
      The ONLY reason I might agree with you is that he would ***** and moan about the NCAA and all of the changes even more than we, the disgruntled fan base and that would serve as a rallying cry of us against them. He would be the only coach that could pull that off here and get people back in the seats. It still may not be enough for some people.

How bout dem apples?

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

And so will KP who does little things that are not noticed like blocking out and setting screens. Need to get him more three point looks. Hasn't rebounded badly so far. He and Bell are two of our more disciplined guys which is probably why they are starting.
        I don't mind KP playing the 4 some. But he too soft. Inside offense, rebounding, and defending need to be physical and explosive sometimes. KP just isn't ever physical and explosive. He needs to toughen up and learn how to create inside offense by bodying up the defender.. Works great when timed well Rojas used that several times under the basket when at 6'6, he is shorter.

The only thing that KP is really good at is shooting the 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The only thing that KP is really good at is shooting the 3.
          This has not even been true in actual games unfortunately. Shot 30% from deep last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

The ONLY reason I might agree with you is that he would ***** and moan about the NCAA and all of the changes even more than we, the disgruntled fan base and that would serve as a rallying cry of us against them. He would be the only coach that could pull that off here and get people back in the seats. It still may not be enough for some people.

How bout dem apples?
            Without specifically saying it, you hit the nail on the head for this issue. Our fanbase seems to take on the personality of the head coach. Gregg was a master of this. Even Mark had some fire too him that our crowd loved (ask Doc about SIU 2004 and then proceed to listen to a spirited 5-minute recitation of his memory).

IB is a nice man but just leaves a lot to be desired in motivating the fanbase, which in turn has been a factor (not the ONLY but certainly one of them) in turning our fanbase into an apathetic bunch.
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

This has not even been true in actual games unfortunately. Shot 30% from deep last year.
              good at shooting it, not so good at making it

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Tell the last sophomore big man we had that could catch a ball and move like Ballard.
                Dan,
                Ballard looked decent. He runs the floor well, but his lateral movement is slow and lethargic.
                Yes, he had decent game against a much inferior opponent. UCA is not athletic or very talented. They had nothing in the paint and basically played a couple 6'6" guys against him.
                UCA had decent effort, but just doesn't have many D1 level players. In fact, I will see better D2 teams this year.

I feel for Jeff Price their top Assistant Coach. He is a really good guy from my area and have known him for 20 years. Was a top JuCo coach here at a program that shut down athletics due to Covid.
                Knew the UCA Coach at the time who hired him, but is now gone. He has a lot of JuCo contacts and will need them to upgrade the talent level.

That is all.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

You’ll get a kick out of this. My wife’s high school team has used the slip screen that WSU used at Cincy, against Ohio State, and other numerous times to get a bucket or preserve a lead. I made sure they installed it the year I was her assistant.

And Jacksonville was absolutely money at the beginning of games for about 5 years.
                  Fresno was good for a bushel full as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Without specifically saying it, you hit the nail on the head for this issue. Our fanbase seems to take on the personality of the head coach. Gregg was a master of this. Even Mark had some fire too him that our crowd loved (ask Doc about SIU 2004 and then proceed to listen to a spirited 5-minute recitation of his memory).

IB is a nice man but just leaves a lot to be desired in motivating the fanbase, which in turn has been a factor (not the ONLY but certainly one of them) in turning our fanbase into an apathetic bunch.
                    Don't get me started.

Comment

• Gamebook is up from last nights game if anyone wants to look at the data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        https://goshockers.com/documents/2022/11/7/2181613.PDF

Gamebook is up from last nights game if anyone wants to look at the data.
                        I don't need no Gamebook. I know what I saw. JK. Gracias. That is pretty good stuff for those inclined.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Dan,
                          Ballard looked decent. He runs the floor well, but his lateral movement is slow and lethargic.
                          Yes, he had decent game against a much inferior opponent. UCA is not athletic or very talented. They had nothing in the paint and basically played a couple 6'6" guys against him.
                          UCA had decent effort, but just doesn't have many D1 level players. In fact, I will see better D2 teams this year.

I feel for Jeff Price their top Assistant Coach. He is a really good guy from my area and have known him for 20 years. Was a top JuCo coach here at a program that shut down athletics due to Covid.
                          Knew the UCA Coach at the time who hired him, but is now gone. He has a lot of JuCo contacts and will need them to upgrade the talent level.

That is all.
                          Ya, I don't know what Dan was watching. I didn't see sure handedness from Ballard. I saw a couple of balls hit his hands and him missing them. He showed some signs but is way raw on offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Ya, I don't know what Dan was watching. I didn't see sure handedness from Ballard. I saw a couple of balls hit his hands and him missing them. He showed some signs but is way raw on offense.
                            His offensive footwork was more of a problem than his hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              If Pierre wants the ball to shoot, he's got to do better than 3-10 (0-5 3s). Particularly if Porter is having a 9-11 (2-3 3s) night.

As a team, we didn't shoot well (43.8/28.6/68.0). However, Porter, Abidde, and Ballard were 15-19. Okafor, Walton, Ricks, and Rojas were 9-21. Pohto, Bell, Scott, and Pierre were 4-25. Notice what group took the most shots.

Pierre and Rojas killed our 3 pt% going 1-9 while the rest of the team was 5-12.

Ballard did the damage to FTs 2-6 (rest of team 15-19).
                              Pierre’s offensive discipline is more of a problem than his shooting. Too many early in the clock shots

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Gregg was a successful coach. He is a “winner”. You can call it fire if you want or manipulating the fan base if you want. He was a winner, either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X