Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs. Central Arkansas (11/07/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to the game last night, and while difficult to evaluate, I had some take aways.

-Do we have a set offense, and any set plays, or do we free lance everything? Brown needs to improve this.

-At the Point, Craig Porter is pretty good, and that is an understatement. Shammah Scott didn't play well.

-First half, we played unselfishly as a team. Second half, was bad, and there was lot's of quick shots, and maybe it was because we were playing selfishly, or maybe undisciplined, or maybe both. Either way, Brown didn't address it. The first 5 tended to play well together, but it was a drop off after that.

-At 5 (Center) Pohto didn't play well at all (had a good first 3 pointer, and little else), but Rojas had his moments (took a few quick, bad shots but could be pretty good), and Ballard is raw (especially offensively), but could become a force in the middle (especially defensively with blocked shots and intimidation).

-At 2, X will be solid, but Ricks didn't play well.

-At 3, Walton was talented, pretty good, played good defense, and unselfish. Pierre, was very talented, athletic, long, rebounded well, and hustled on defense, but took quick, undisciplined shots in the 2nd half.

-At 4, Okafor and Abbidde were solid, and athletic, Abbidde was very long, but overall, we were ho hum at the 4.

-I sat on Row 3, and Porter, Walton, Pierre, Abbidde, and Ballard are super athletic. They can really jump quick, are long, and can run the court fast.

-Again, we weren't very good or disciplined in the 2nd half, and the stats show it. We rebounded better than when we played Newman, but not by much.
    First Half 14-30 3-8 10-13
    46.67 % 37.50 % 76.92 %
    Second Half 14-34 3-13 7-12
    41.18 % 23.08 % 58.33 %
    Total 28-64 6-21 17-25
    43.8 % 28.6 % 68.0 %
    -

Comment

• For a first game, I have seen much worse from Shocker teams that went on to be very good teams.
      If this team improves through Christmas as it should for the talent it has on it, a top 4 AAC finish and borderline NCAA tournament team is it's future.

I hope that happens!

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I understand that attendance has been trending downward but I will say that the team held up their end of the bargain last night. The ball movement was better on offense and there was some good hustle on the defensive side of the ball (minus a number of lapses). Very early days but it looked more like Shocker basketball. HCIB also looked more comfortable than ever on the sideline.
        I think that is a fair statement. I say a lot of the apathy still has to do with the state of college basketball and we have a new team every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I think that is a fair statement. I say a lot of the apathy still has to do with the state of college basketball and we have a new team every year.
          That is a description of me. I watched the game last night on ESPN+, and will go to a few games in person this year, but I just don't feel the same emotional investment as I've had in the past. Constant churn on the roster means I never feel like I "know" the team. And who knows how the NIL issue and the transfer portal will change the face of college athletics in the coming years, including the possible breakaway of the big Kahuna schools.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• If fHC3GM were brought back, we'd have instant sell outs again. Not saying that's gonna happen -- but it would be as instant as flipping on a light switch.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Overall this one was tough to evaluate, as most first games with a bunch of new players are.

Things I liked:
              • Porter obviously. Dude is a stud and is probably the most true and under control PG since FVV.
              • Rebounding and energy on the boards in the first half.
              • Team effort and depth.
              • Walton played a very solid game from start to finish.
              • Liked Okafor's intensity.
              • Rojas at times.
              • Pleasantly surprised by Ballard. Only one game and let's see if he can be consistent. VERY raw but athletic.
              • 6 blocks.
              • IB's willingness to sit guys who weren't hustling and playing defense.
              • REALLY like Pierre's game. Kid hustles.
              Things I didn't like:
              • Pohto. Don't know what happened to him in the offseason but he looked slow, uninterested, and lost most of the time. Didn't hustle and whiffed short on a couple of bunnies. It will be a real problem if he has an off year. No way this team survives an AAC season without him playing well.
              • Bell did not look good at all. Hopefully just first game jitters because he will be needed.
              • Only 10 assists on 28 made baskets.
              • 23% from three and 58% from FT in the second half.
              • IB's unwillingness to use set plays. This is mind numbing to me.
              • Rojas' handling the ball and driving to the basket from the top of the key. He generally has decent handles in short spurts and can pass but in no way should he be driving from the top of key unless he is wide open.

Comment

• When I heard his name, I remembered the Klintman surname from the recruiting forum. I believe Ibbe for UCA is Bobi's brother.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Bell will be okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    If fHC3GM were brought back, we'd have instant sell outs again. Not saying that's gonna happen -- but it would be as instant as flipping on a light switch.
                    Eh .. i'm not so sure .. would probably be better .. but i think you lose a chunk by bringing him back that would partially offset the ones that are not coming because he's not here.

Now if he comes back and gets us deep into the NCAAs? sure .. but that would happen with HCIB too .. but I'd agree 3G would be much more likely to get us there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      If fHC3GM were brought back, we'd have instant sell outs again. Not saying that's gonna happen -- but it would be as instant as flipping on a light switch.
                      Agreed. Not Scientific, but Case in point: I visited with a friend who isn't a big college basketball fan, and luke warm for the Shocks (but has gone to a couple of games a year in the past), about Wichita State basketball. He said that without Gregg Marshall, he has no desire to go to a game. I don't think this is uncommon. The anti-Marshall fans largely dislike or at least never cared about Wichita State.

Comment

• smallest opening crowd in 26 years

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                          [/LIST]Things I didn't like:
                          • IB's unwillingness to use set plays. This is mind numbing to me.
                          I remember either hearing or reading that Heiar's JUCO team roared with excitement when they watched New Mexico State use "Jacksonville" for an easy bucket at a critical point against UConn in the NCAA Tournament. The play works like a charm. For someone who worked for Gregg for a decent amount of time, you'd think that IB would want that in his arsenal.

Same with home run balls late in games when the opponent is trying to get a steal in the backcourt. I watched a game with Doc last season when he pointed that out to me. Gregg was good for a well-timed deep throw in tight games. IB's plan seemed to just keep plugging away with passing into the corner, which always risked that dastardly turnover.
                          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Bell will be okay.
                            And so will KP who does little things that are not noticed like blocking out and setting screens. Need to get him more three point looks. Hasn't rebounded badly so far. He and Bell are two of our more disciplined guys which is probably why they are starting.

Comment

• If Pierre wants the ball to shoot, he's got to do better than 3-10 (0-5 3s). Particularly if Porter is having a 9-11 (2-3 3s) night.

As a team, we didn't shoot well (43.8/28.6/68.0). However, Porter, Abidde, and Ballard were 15-19. Okafor, Walton, Ricks, and Rojas were 9-21. Pohto, Bell, Scott, and Pierre were 4-25. Notice what group took the most shots.

Pierre and Rojas killed our 3 pt% going 1-9 while the rest of the team was 5-12.

Ballard did the damage to FTs 2-6 (rest of team 15-19).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I remember either hearing or reading that Heiar's JUCO team roared with excitement when they watched New Mexico State use "Jacksonville" for an easy bucket at a critical point against UConn in the NCAA Tournament. The play works like a charm. For someone who worked for Gregg for a decent amount of time, you'd think that IB would want that in his arsenal.

Same with home run balls late in games when the opponent is trying to get a steal in the backcourt. I watched a game with Doc last season when he pointed that out to me. Gregg was good for a well-timed deep throw in tight games. IB's plan seemed to just keep plugging away with passing into the corner, which always risked that dastardly turnover.
                                You’ll get a kick out of this. My wife’s high school team has used the slip screen that WSU used at Cincy, against Ohio State, and other numerous times to get a bucket or preserve a lead. I made sure they installed it the year I was her assistant.

And Jacksonville was absolutely money at the beginning of games for about 5 years.
                                Last edited by Kel Varnsen; November 8, 2022, 12:20 PM.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X