Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Your initials, DB, are very fitting…
    Should he change his name to KevinUnsel his initials might still be quite fitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Or Kelly than Creed.
      Stanley.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
          I know they were independent in football but bouncing from the A10 to MAC in basketball is a bit rough i think?

Comment

Probably the right move. Independent football is not easy. This could help football for them. The MAC is the most stable conference in D1 athletics. The MAC isn't a horrible basketball conference, but it's not the A10 either.

The MAC is worse than I thought. Only two teams currently in the top 150 of NET. Only four in the top 200. UMass is currently at 86. This may actually be a positive in regards to simply making the tourney as they're essentially going to be fighting Akron and Toledo for the auto bid most years. The A10 is probably a one bid league this year unless someone knocks off Dayton in the conference tournament. But there are eight top 100 teams in the A10 so it could be a fun tournament.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I figure the odds of this possibility being incredibly low, but I wanted to throw the idea out there for fun: Would WSU replacing UMass as a member of the A10 at this point in time make any sense? While WSU is currently going through a…slump in basketball, I still think the program has the resources to be considered a sleeping giant. I can envision a program that can garner solid NIL support, granted that the big donors see a worthwhile investment (head coach) that is proving their worth. Would the A10, or WSU for the matter, even want to entertain the idea of making a deal if an offer was put on the table by either party? Joining a basketball-focused conference looking to possibly expand their midwest footprint could make sense as the program looks to replace UMass, although I am unsure if it would be a detriment or benefit to WSU’s other athletic programs (baseball, softball, etc) to join the A10, especially after only “recently” joining the AAC about 6 years ago now. I suppose we would also need to consider the opportunity cost of leaving the AAC, evaluating the long-term value the AAC could provide by staying a member. This is all hypothetical, and I am not advocating for such a move, I just know some inquiry into the A10 was being thrown around when the conference shuffle started to ramp up. Any thoughts?
              Last edited by ventichai; March 1, 2024, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ventichai View Post
                I figure the odds of this possibility being incredibly low, but I wanted to throw the idea out there for fun: Would WSU replacing UMass as a member of the A10 at this point in time make any sense? While WSU is currently going through a…slump in basketball, I still think the program has the resources to be considered a sleeping giant. I can envision a program that can garner solid NIL support, granted that the big donors see a worthwhile investment (head coach) that is proving their worth. Would the A10, or WSU for the matter, even want to entertain the idea of moving conferences if an offer was put on the table by either party? Joining a basketball-focused conference with a midwest footprint could make sense as the program looks to expand westward, although I am unsure if it would be a detriment or benefit to WSU’s other athletic programs (baseball, softball, etc) to join the A10, especially after only “recently” joining the AAC. I suppose we would also need to consider the opportunity cost of leaving the AAC, evaluating the long-term value the AAC could provide by staying a member. This is all hypothetical, and I am not advocating for such a move, I just know some inquiry into the A10 was being thrown around when the conference shuffle started to ramp up. Any thoughts?
                The A10 doesn't make sense when you expand beyond just the surface levels. Travel would increase. The AAC has a much closer footprint despite Temple, Charlotte, ECU, USF and FAU. The Texas schools along with Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane and UAB make for a lot of closer games than what most of the A10 would offer. And if the Big East ever expands, SLU and Dayton have to be top of the list.

WSU is better off being connected to Texas schools. WSU pulls quite a few students from Texas and being connected with the I-35 corridor is a plus for the University.

Academically, being connected to the research focused, urban universities within the AAC has been a definite plus and has helped lead to the increase in research funding that WSU has enjoyed since joining the American.

The AAC media rights are a plus compared to what we would get from the A10 as well. We get a lot more in media rights than the A10 schools do, and it's not offset by tournament credits.

I don't know enough about the other sports in the A10, but I'd assume that volleyball, softball, and baseball are better off in the AAC. Same with Track and Field as well as Cross Country.

I feel that the school, and athletics as a whole is much better off in the AAC than any other possible conference. The only thing hurting WSU in the AAC is WSU and bad hires.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The A10 doesn't make sense when you expand beyond just the surface levels. Travel would increase. The AAC has a much closer footprint despite Temple, Charlotte, ECU, USF and FAU. The Texas schools along with Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane and UAB make for a lot of closer games than what most of the A10 would offer. And if the Big East ever expands, SLU and Dayton have to be top of the list.

WSU is better off being connected to Texas schools. WSU pulls quite a few students from Texas and being connected with the I-35 corridor is a plus for the University.

Academically, being connected to the research focused, urban universities within the AAC has been a definite plus and has helped lead to the increase in research funding that WSU has enjoyed since joining the American.

The AAC media rights are a plus compared to what we would get from the A10 as well. We get a lot more in media rights than the A10 schools do, and it's not offset by tournament credits.

I don't know enough about the other sports in the A10, but I'd assume that volleyball, softball, and baseball are better off in the AAC. Same with Track and Field as well as Cross Country.

I feel that the school, and athletics as a whole is much better off in the AAC than any other possible conference. The only thing hurting WSU in the AAC is WSU and bad hires.
                  Yeah, that’s what I figured as well. The only thing that made me ponder was the basketball-focus the A10 has. But when taking into consideration everything else it makes sense the AAC is the better opportunity for WSU.

Comment

• Also, just to add:

It looks like Temple is speculated as being a potential good fit as a replacement for UMass

Comment

• Originally posted by ventichai View Post
                      Also, just to add:

It looks like Temple is speculated as being a potential good fit as a replacement for UMass

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2024...10-realignment
                      It's hard to take that too seriously. Thinking DePaul would consider leaving the Big East to take a substantial pay cut? Temple would throw football under the bus and give up millions in media payouts? I'm not sure there are any conferences left that would take in a refugee football program at this point.

Their options of Vermont, Charleston and UMass-Lowell seem much more likely than either Temple or DePaul entertaining it. But who knows, UCon did sacrifice their football program for basketball. I just don't see Temple doing the same for less overall benefit.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It has been rumored for quite a while that Charleston will be joining the A-10.

Comment

It has been rumored for quite a while that Charleston will be joining the A-10.
                          Charleston probably makes the most sense. Personally, I'd love to see Vermont get to step up in conference standing. They've had a pretty solid program but they're limited by what they can do where they are and all in all, they're never going to be the most sought after program in the NE for a conference like the A10.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Charleston probably makes the most sense. Personally, I'd love to see Vermont get to step up in conference standing. They've had a pretty solid program but they're limited by what they can do where they are and all in all, they're never going to be the most sought after program in the NE for a conference like the A10.
                            Similarly, I'd love to see VCU in the AAC.

Comment

Similarly, I'd love to see VCU in the AAC.
                              I'd rather see Dayton, but I get where you're coming from.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I'd rather see Dayton, but I get where you're coming from.
                                Yeah I think Dayton is the slightly better add from a basketball perspective, but VCU would fit into the AAC profile very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X