Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCU has finished outside the top 75 on Bart Torvik ONCE since 2008. That blows SMU basketball out of the water as a replacement school.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Yeah, I marched in the last WSUMB in 1986. And even with the pretty sparse crowds it certainly made for a fun fall atmosphere. I fondly remember lining up in the band by Duerksen for the march to the stadium, leaves falling, alums milling by, great times.
      My wife and I would go up on the south end of the "Shocker Mountain" ramps to watch you guys and gals make your entrance before going to our seats. We always enjoyed that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My wife and I would go up on the south end of the "Shocker Mountain" ramps to watch you guys and gals make your entrance before going to our seats. We always enjoyed that.
        The echo between the stadium and arena was so cool!
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The echo between the stadium and arena was so cool!
          I sure miss it...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I’m sure VCU would love to join a conference so they can play Rice & UTSA every year

Comment

• Originally posted by DanielBryan View Post
              I’m sure VCU would love to join a conference so they can play Rice & UTSA every year
              But I'd bet they'd love to play FAU, North Texas, and UAB. All three finished in the Top 40 of NET. Charlotte was also a Top 100 team. Memphis was a Top 25 NET team. Tulane and Wichita could/should be Top 100 NET teams.

The A10 had three Top 100 NET teams and VCU was one of them.

NET at the end of last season would rank

13 FAU
              22 Memphis
              30 North Texas
              39 UAB
              54 VCU
              98 Charlotte
              107 Tulane
              110 Wichita
              123 Temple
              159 USF
              188 Rice
              190 ECU
              209 SMU
              284 UTSA
              324 Tulsa

Compared to the A10

54 VCU
              77 Dayton
              97 SLU
              132 Fordham
              137 Duquesne
              139 George Mason
              145 Davidson
              160 Richmond
              200 St. Bonnie
              201 St. Joe
              203 UMASS
              211 Geo. Washington
              223 La Salle
              263 Rhode Island
              269 Loyola

The AAC would have nine teams ahead of Fordham.

Now the A10 can be better and has been. But also, if the Big East decides to expand two of those top teams (Dayton/SLU) are on the short list.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’m sure VCU would love to join a conference so they can play Rice & UTSA every year
                Maybe going from 250k payout to 2.2 million a year is an incentive. Also like half the A-10 isn’t garbage too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

But I'd bet they'd love to play FAU, North Texas, and UAB. All three finished in the Top 40 of NET. Charlotte was also a Top 100 team. Memphis was a Top 25 NET team. Tulane and Wichita could/should be Top 100 NET teams.

13 FAU
                  22 Memphis
                  30 North Texas
                  39 UAB
                  54 VCU
                  98 Charlotte
                  107 Tulane
                  110 Wichita
                  123 Temple
                  159 USF
                  188 Rice
                  190 ECU
                  209 SMU
                  284 UTSA
                  324 Tulsa

Compared to the A10

54 VCU
                  77 Dayton
                  97 SLU
                  132 Fordham
                  137 Duquesne
                  139 George Mason
                  145 Davidson
                  160 Richmond
                  200 St. Bonnie
                  201 St. Joe
                  203 UMASS
                  211 Geo. Washington
                  223 La Salle
                  263 Rhode Island
                  269 Loyola

Now the A10 can be better and has been. But also, if the Big East decides to expand two of those top teams (Dayton/SLU) are on the short list.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

13 FAU
                    22 Memphis
                    30 North Texas
                    39 UAB
                    54 VCU
                    98 Charlotte
                    107 Tulane
                    110 Wichita
                    123 Temple
                    159 USF
                    188 Rice
                    190 ECU
                    209 SMU
                    284 UTSA
                    324 Tulsa

Compared to the A10

54 VCU
                    77 Dayton
                    97 SLU
                    132 Fordham
                    137 Duquesne
                    139 George Mason
                    145 Davidson
                    160 Richmond
                    200 St. Bonnie
                    201 St. Joe
                    203 UMASS
                    211 Geo. Washington
                    223 La Salle
                    263 Rhode Island
                    269 Loyola

But…but…but… I thought Loyola was the next great thing in college basketball.

78-65

Comment

I happened to look because I thought Dayton played football. They do, but in the Pioneer League, which does not give scholarships. But in looking at their team pic, they clearly have no trouble getting players. I wonder what the cost is for Dayton to play football at that level.

They appear to get decent support, keeping in mind their stadium seats about 11.000.

Would Shocker Nation support enough at this level to have the fun of football on fall Saturday afternoon?
                      I have always loved Shocker football but as everyone knows I have been an advocate for its return only if enough money could be raised tp actually endow its return. Maybe starting small would be a way to perhaps whet the appetite of the locals and student body. If the proposed soccer/track facility could accommodate 10,000 it might be worth the investment to bring it back at a lower level to judge the interest. Go Shocks

Comment

You’re as sharp as a popsicle stick.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

But…but…but… I thought Loyola was the next great thing in college basketball.
                          They weren’t ready for the enormous leap up to the A10.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• When Loyola was good Moser was available and WSU was looking for a coach. Moser ended up at OU, which may be the end of his head coaching career. WSU fans weren't thrilled that Moser might be a candidate. That was probably a good thing. He would have been better than IB,but he was "above his level" past the MVC. Loyola reverted to being Loyola after they lost Moser.

Replacing SMU with Army and VCU is a HUGE win for the AAC if the VCU addition happens. Army is going to provide more TV views than SMU could imagine. VCU brings east coast fans. SMU was in a football hotbed and competing for BB fans with TCU locally and TT, aTm, Texas, and Baylor regionally.

UNT in the conference maintains exposure for WSU in that part of Texas, even though it's likely to be less visible than if SMU was still the opponent. VanVleet in Houston could more than make up for that by miles and miles.

Losing Houston to the B12 was a kick in the grapes, but losing Cincy and UCF was less significant from a basketball standpoint. Some of the adds since those left seem to be above the level that Cincy and UCF had gotten to. Outside of the obvious power conferences and the BE, the AAC seems to be the best BB conference. We're in the right place, and I believe we have the right coach.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Losing UCF in basketball wasn’t a big deal. Of course losing Houston was huge…I also think losing Cincy, due to their history, hurts a lot.
                                As much as I’d like to see Shocker football, it’s not going to happen. WSU drew terribly in those last years…and that was when K-State were the Mildcats. Just AWFUL. Now, with KSU with a HGUE fan following, I don’t see how WSU could really develop a program that was followed with any real fan interest (other than from those of us here).

Comment

Working...
                                X