NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
    So, I gotta ask the question…if the school is making “all this money off the players”, why is it that most of the posters on ShockerNet feel the athletic department is basically bankrupt? We can’t have it both ways.
    I'm guessing CL hasn't kept up with this mess and has no idea that season ticket holders and donors have fled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

He’s not. Your first instinct is correct. He’s a longtime troll.
      Right. Trolling for 15 years. Season ticket holder until I moved out of town.

Eat a bag of dicks old man
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• If we are going to participate in this new NIL game I think we need to try and retain RC and CP first. Give them what we can up front with a promise of more to come once fund raising kicks into higher gear. They are established players already liked by the fan base. Raise the cash to keep them. Something tells me that some rules have to be changed, caps established, etc for college basketball to survive. I'm sure we are not the only fan base disgusted with their programs and the greedy evolution of the game. Things have to change or fans will stop donating, going to games, watching on TV or buying products.

Comment

• I think we should have gave Mo an NIL deal of $100.00 for every time he passed out of a double team last season. We can now use that initial $100.00 that was never given to Mo to jump start the new NIL for RC4 and Porter...

Comment

• I have to remind myself that no matter what NIL deals WSU can come up with, IB is still our head coach.

Comment

• Questions are swirling over how a car that was contracted to an LSU football player through NIL ended up reportedly stolen and pulled over.

Comment

• The Shockers under IB are very boring. Walk the ball up court, take desperation shots at the end of the shot clock and not show any spark until the last 5 minutes of the game. I want a team that wants to play 40 minutes.

Comment

• I have a serious question:

Even if we could come up with a top 20 NIL fund, would you want to? I just think the whole thing stinks. I'm a Shocker fan, but I'm a fan of amateur players learning, growing, and representing our university. Just rolling out 13 hired guns every year doesn't move the needle for me. Other than the name on the front of the jersey, it just won't be Shocker sports to me.

That's why I say I'd rather see us go down several levels than compete in whatever this new **** show will be until it breaks. Some of you just want to see us compete at the highest level under whatever system exists. That's not intrinsically bad and I don't fault you for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                    I have a serious question:

Even if we could come up with a top 20 NIL fund, would you want to? I just think the whole thing stinks. I'm a Shocker fan, but I'm a fan of amateur players learning, growing, and representing our university. Just rolling out 13 hired guns every year doesn't move the needle for me. Other than the name on the front of the jersey, it just won't be Shocker sports to me.

That's why I say I'd rather see us go down several levels than compete in whatever this new **** show will be until it breaks. Some of you just want to see us compete at the highest level under whatever system exists. That's not intrinsically bad and I don't fault you for it.
                    Once you've tasted the sweet nectar of a Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and Final Four, it's too difficult (for me) to go backwards. Ole Ross would be spinning in his grave. I want to compete with the very best and hope we find a way. I still haven't gotten over dropping football... it's an eternal open wound.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                      I have a serious question:

My hope is that the crazy spending is a temporary thing. There are too many D1 schools with too much roster rotation for people to be throwing the crazy amounts of money every year. Especially if players take NIL and start transferring anyways.

With that said .. I want to compete at the top. I'm not nearly in the tax bracket to influence that though.

Comment

• NIL is here to stay, at every level. Amateur sports are over as they used to be. There’s just too much money involved now.

What we are likely going to see is a slow, painful evolution to a European sports model, where the clubs are sponsored by the schools. A player can take a scholarship, or a check for the amount and not enroll. They will be free to sign shoe deals or marketing rights deals like they can everywhere else.

It may not be a horrible thing, but it’s going to take visionaries to guide us through it and I’m not sure WSU has that type of leadership at any level.

Ironic that we have this type of thinking with the innovation campus but it’s too big of a concept for them to apply to sports. It’s pretty much the same thing, just on a different scale.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                          NIL is here to stay, at every level. Amateur sports are over as they used to be. There’s just too much money involved now.

What we are likely going to see is a slow, painful evolution to a European sports model, where the clubs are sponsored by the schools. A player can take a scholarship, or a check for the amount and not enroll. They will be free to sign shoe deals or marketing rights deals like they can everywhere else.

It may not be a horrible thing, but it’s going to take visionaries to guide us through it and I’m not sure WSU has that type of leadership at any level.

Ironic that we have this type of thinking with the innovation campus but it’s too big of a concept for them to apply to sports. It’s pretty much the same thing, just on a different scale.
                          The only sports that will be completely changed will be basketball and football. For the most part the other sports will still be true student athletes. Now is the time to strike with soccer. We cannot afford to carry around complete deadweight programs like golf and tennis when basketball is essentially going to be a minor league team.
                          Last edited by shoxlax; April 24, 2022, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Is Title IX going te rear its ugly head and demand that female athletes get equivalent NIL deals as male athletes?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                              Is Title IX going te rear its ugly head and demand that female athletes get equivalent NIL deals as male athletes?
                              That would actually be glorious. I imagine suits are being drawn up as we speak. These deals where the whole team is getting paid rather than an individual particularly. Bring this whole thing crashing down by the big teams just exiting the NCAA and having only a tangential relationship to the schools.

Comment

• I don't think Title IX will apply unless these collectives are under the institution's umbrella.

It's going to take years for this whole cluster to settlle down. I think college basketball will become a minor league equivalent. And we know minor leagues generally struggle to put butts in seats. There's no school spirit and it's not the highest level of competition.

I'm going to sit back a couple of years, root for the team to win from my living room, and see where things end up. If it's the scenario many of us fear, I will be done with college basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X