No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that the year after you win the conference title and conference Coach of the Year some fans say Coach Brown is on the hot seat?

Please feel free to use logic and not emotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
      Why is it that the year after you win the conference title and conference Coach of the Year some fans say Coach Brown is on the hot seat?

Because that was a fluky Covid season that due to scheduling issues kept the loss count lower than it would have been. We also seen how that team finished the season poorly and that pretty much continued into the next year. We also had a way above average number of close wins that could have easily gone the other way.

Many weren't enamored with the product during that season and saw the ways we benefited from cancelled games. This board was very split about what the results of that season really mean at the time.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Why is it that the year after you win the conference title and conference Coach of the Year some fans say Coach Brown is on the hot seat?

This has been discussed many times this year. Have you not kept up and read the many responses and arguments?

Comment

Because WSU season was a fluke due to how the scheduling ended up panning out. WSU had one of the easiest conference schedules and that is why they won. And then wsu showed it true colors by losing to Drake.

Boatright did HCIB a disservice but not having a national coaches search. If HCIB had been hired then because he was the best option, then fan base would have been on board.

I believe HCIB will get a fair shake. If he can recruit and win he will hang around and fans will come around. If he dredges up the ghost of the 1990’s losing past, he will be gone in 2 years. He kind has a setup for success with the good AAC teams about to depart the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Because that was a fluky Covid season that due to scheduling issues kept the loss count lower than it would have been. We also seen how that team finished the season poorly and that pretty much continued into the next year. We also had a way above average number of close wins that could have easily gone the other way.

Many weren't enamored with the product during that season and saw the ways we benefited from cancelled games. This board was very split about what the results of that season really mean at the time.
            Don't forget, WSU lost their all-conference point guard in year 2 for Brown. The teams ATO ratio then fell drastically in year 2. The team lost focus?

As far as schedule, did Houston and Memphis lose at Tulsa, but WSU win there, because of Covid? Could of fooled me. I thought it was because WSU's switching D accomplished what the haves of the AAC could not. Then when Houston came to town the Shocks successfully defended their home court.

You stretching it a bit; "very split?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Don't forget, WSU lost their all-conference point guard in year 2 for Brown. The teams ATO ratio then fell drastically in year 2. The team lost focus?

As far as schedule, did Houston and Memphis lose at Tulsa, but WSU win there, because of Covid? Could of fooled me. I thought it was because WSU's switching D accomplished what the haves of the AAC could not. Then when Houston came to town the Shocks successfully defended their home court.

You stretching it a bit; "very split?"
              The drop in ATO ratio was not due to who was the PG. AG (4.1/2.2) and CP (3.6/1.9) were close to the same ratio and CP shot a better % in all 3 categories, had more rebounds (4.9 to 3.1) and more blocks (1.1 to 0.1) and the same steals per game. ETN and Mo going from 3.0/2.9 assists/TOs to 2.5/3.9 assists/TOs was most of the swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The drop in ATO ratio was not due to who was the PG. AG (4.1/2.2) and CP (3.6/1.9) were close to the same ratio and CP shot a better % in all 3 categories, had more rebounds (4.9 to 3.1) and more blocks (1.1 to 0.1) and the same steals per game. ETN and Mo going from 3.0/2.9 assists/TOs to 2.5/3.9 assists/TOs was most of the swing.

Your throwing out individual stats. I'm looking at team performance. 2 different things. That doesn't seem to equate with some.

A. Gilbert was all-conference because the team was better with him at the point; more efficient. Smarter. Better ball handler. Quicker. Can run an in bounds play. That's the truth, as shocking as it is...

CP has done great as a converted combo guard forced into point duty. Not bad at all. I'd say as good as J. Burton. Possibly.
                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 16, 2022, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Yes how dare you use actual numbers. I call that owning…

Comment

Have you watched the team play?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Your throwing out individual stats. I'm looking at team performance. 2 different things. That doesn't seem to equate with some.

A. Gilbert was all-conference because the team was better with him at the point; more efficient. Smarter. Better ball handler. Quicker. Can run an in bounds play. That's the truth, as shocking as it is...

CP has done great as a converted combo guard forced into point duty. Not bad at all. I'd say as good as J. Burton. Possibly.
                      That converted combo guard:

1) "Started 27 games as a freshman and averaged 8.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.1 blocks".

2) "As a sophomore, ranked 13th nationally in assists (6.5) and also averaged 14.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.9 blocks".

3) "Finished the year with seven-straight double-digit assist games, including a season-high 16 in a Feb. 19 win over Lake Land and had two other 14-assist games."

Just when was he converted to a PG?

On the other hand, as a 23 year old senior as the season started, AG had the worst FG% of any of the 9 regulars at .348 yet took the 2nd most shots (41 more than #3). Also had less than a 2:1 (1.86) A/TO ratio. He looked more like a combo guard as a 5th year senior. But, hey, he got a conference award!

Add: There are a lot of reasons a team plays well or doesn't, just not who's the PG. I believe we were also considered one of the most "lucky", if not luckest team, in DI that year.
                      Last edited by ShockTalk; July 16, 2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Watch the team play. We have sucked the last two seasons. They play like they are coached by a players coach. Not gonna get better unless that changes.

Comment

• Start of the season kicks off in less than 100 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                            Watch the team play. We have sucked the last two seasons. They play like they are coached by a players coach. Not gonna get better unless that changes.
                            A team that won the American and made the dance did not “suck”, no matter how you try and spin it. Were they a top 25 team? Maybe not. Did they catch some scheduling breaks? Yes. But they also won some nice games, and certainly didn’t “suck”.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

A team that won the American and made the dance did not “suck”, no matter how you try and spin it. Were they a top 25 team? Maybe not. Did they catch some scheduling breaks? Yes. But they also won some nice games, and certainly didn’t “suck”.
                              They didn't suck, but they weren't near as good as the record would have indicated. Or where they finished in the AAC.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The God’s Bear Bowl.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X