Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my best friends is a die hard Arkansas fan, and he took the time to EMAIL me his thanks for Ricky....:(

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

The fact that your example is a player from nearly 45 years ago should tell you all you need to know about how apt it is to today's environment. Again, I'm glad Shockernet exists to give you a forum for your opinion pieces, but lets not pretend college sports in the 2020s is anything like it was in the 1970s.
      Perhaps today's players aren't givers to their communities like Dave, and Cheese were. However, Gregg Marshall, won without the Me, Me, Me player just recently.

But, 2020 is different, and you may be correct, and we may have to recruit 12 new players every year, and under recruited high school players like Ricky will use us, gain a platform, and move on to the elite program of the year, because he can make so much more money from them.

Our dollars will be well spent, and donors may still want to contribute.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Perhaps today's players aren't givers to their communities like Dave, and Cheese were. However, Gregg Marshall, won without the Me, Me, Me player just recently.

But, 2020 is different, and you may be correct, and we may have to recruit 12 new players every year, and under recruited high school players like Ricky will use us, gain a platform, and move on to the elite program of the year, because he can make so much more money from them.

Our dollars will be well spent, and donors may still want to contribute.
        I sure hope so. This is a proud program. Hate to see Wichita St. become regulated to a AA or AAA farm club. Perhaps with the right head coach in the future...players will be less likely to transfer out and Wichita St. can maintain it's status quo and get back to knocking off Power Schools in March. GO SHOCKS!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Sorry. Don’t care about Arkansas.
          I don't either. Just responding to someone asking about the PG situation for the guys who transferred from WSU last season.

If you appreciate good basketball, and we should all appreciate it because we aren't seeing it from the Shox, you would appreciate that kids game.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            One of my best friends is a die hard Arkansas fan, and he took the time to EMAIL me his thanks for Ricky....:(
            Maybe Arkansas is still disappointed that they ignored Austin Reaves who was a Shocker and now plays in the NBA. Even though we only had him for 2 seasons, we too were thankful for their glaring oversight way back then.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• For many years, Mo Evans was the transfer that got away and made the NBA. It's becoming an annual thing now, it seems like.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I mentioned previously on another thread not to underestimate the impact of all these mercenaries that are coming and going, espeically at Wichita State, on the interest level of fans and their willingness to put out the money and time to follow the team in person. Will it come back? I did not predict it wouldn't but I did predict that it would be very challenging.

i played hockey for nearly 20 years and had been a thunder fan until it became affiliated hockey and the roster turned over not only at season end, but also in the middle. havent been to a game since 2018 and probably wont unless a star is here rehabbing or have nothing to do that night.

understand completely

Comment

• As always, 1972Shocker makes a good point about what makes people want to support something. I would also add "likeability" in the form of on court performance AND personal character. How they play is personal preference. One person might prefer 2005 SIU grab and hold toughness while another pines for LMU Hank Gathers type play. To each his own. However, simple effort on the floor, getting after a loose ball, diving for a ball, being tough, pushing yourself past tired, those things are always going to play, especially here and in addition, while getting fired up is a good thing, belittling the opponent or disrespecting the game or the opponent are rarely going to be seen as a positive.

Watching JR stand over a fallen opponent, or JP stare down the bench after a made 3 while the other teams blisters us again after a made basket are examples of ways to turn support off in droves. PB pouting about not going in the game and putting his hoodie back on and sulking doesn't do anything to endear himself to folks either.

I enjoyed the Mizzou game, I really did. But that **** will burn me in 2 seconds. Respect the game and the opportunity presented to you and people will support you. Act like a entitled chowderhead and they won't.

I'm sure by now many of you have received a recorded call from Shocker coaches or student athletes thanking you or asking for support (I got one earlier today from Brylee Kelly regarding buying tickets for the NIVC games this weekend) and the littlest things can go a long way. Show you care about more than yourself and this fanbase will embrace you.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    As always, 1972Shocker makes a good point about what makes people want to support something. I would also add "likeability" in the form of on court performance AND personal character. How they play is personal preference. One person might prefer 2005 SIU grab and hold toughness while another pines for LMU Hank Gathers type play. To each his own. However, simple effort on the floor, getting after a loose ball, diving for a ball, being tough, pushing yourself past tired, those things are always going to play, especially here and in addition, while getting fired up is a good thing, belittling the opponent or disrespecting the game or the opponent are rarely going to be seen as a positive.

Watching JR stand over a fallen opponent, or JP stare down the bench after a made 3 while the other teams blisters us again after a made basket are examples of ways to turn support off in droves. PB pouting about not going in the game and putting his hoodie back on and sulking doesn't do anything to endear himself to folks either.

I enjoyed the Mizzou game, I really did. But that **** will burn me in 2 seconds. Respect the game and the opportunity presented to you and people will support you. Act like a entitled chowderhead and they won't.

I'm sure by now many of you have received a recorded call from Shocker coaches or student athletes thanking you or asking for support (I got one earlier today from Brylee Kelly regarding buying tickets for the NIVC games this weekend) and the littlest things can go a long way. Show you care about more than yourself and this fanbase will embrace you.
                    I remember when Malcolm Armstead got a technical or two for similar antics. FHCGM said, “I am done with his technical fouls and so is he”. I think Turg said something similar about Fridge when he threw his headband.

Comment

• Man my section went bonkers after that one 3 from JP. Is wasn't a great shot (I give it a 2 on the FHCEF 1-5 scale) but he drilled it and the building was loud. Great time to bust ass, get back and slap the floor & turn up the heat on your opponent.

Not a great time to stop, make some kind of sign with your fingers and arms, stare down your own bench looking for congratulations, and get beat at the other end of the floor.

I bet there were 2 dozen around me screaming at the kid to get back and stop the antics...when we SHOULD have been shouting and enjoying the success. That lack of discipline and respect has to be changed or the support will continue to contract.

Comment

As always, 1972Shocker makes a good point about what makes people want to support something. I would also add "likeability" in the form of on court performance AND personal character. How they play is personal preference. One person might prefer 2005 SIU grab and hold toughness while another pines for LMU Hank Gathers type play. To each his own. However, simple effort on the floor, getting after a loose ball, diving for a ball, being tough, pushing yourself past tired, those things are always going to play, especially here and in addition, while getting fired up is a good thing, belittling the opponent or disrespecting the game or the opponent are rarely going to be seen as a positive.

I enjoy seeing our players celebrate in a manner of ways. For example, I love the picture of Shaq standing over De'Aaron Fox after he blocked his shot. I dislike seeing our players give up points because they're celebrating. RC4 was celebrating last year and gave up the game winning dunk against Houston. Time and place.

Comment

• Dollars to donuts that one of the reason some of them act this way is because they are allowed to get away with it by the coaching staff. It all starts and ends at the top. But hey, we got ourselves a players coach and a nice guy...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Dollars to donuts that one of the reason some of them act this way is because they are allowed to get away with it by the coaching staff. It all starts and ends at the top. But hey, we got ourselves a players coach and a nice guy...
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Man my section went bonkers after that one 3 from JP. Is wasn't a great shot (I give it a 2 on the FHCEF 1-5 scale) but he drilled it and the building was loud. Great time to bust ass, get back and slap the floor & turn up the heat on your opponent.

Not a great time to stop, make some kind of sign with your fingers and arms, stare down your own bench looking for congratulations, and get beat at the other end of the floor.

I bet there were 2 dozen around me screaming at the kid to get back and stop the antics...when we SHOULD have been shouting and enjoying the success. That lack of discipline and respect has to be changed or the support will continue to contract.
                              That goes on coaching.

"What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own. What you tolerate, you deserve."
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

FIFY.
                                this isn't a WSU problem.
                                While true, if WSU still had a culture and standard of excellence, players wouldn't be leaving in mass like they are now.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X