Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
    I think it was more the fact that other schools had NIL and we didn’t?
    Maybe or maybe not, but we really have no way to know. I'm sure it didn't help but if IB is a recruiter, then it was still on him to recruit Ricky again. Recruiting players several times is the new norm. It could just as likely be that Ricky had little or no respect for IB (who he definitely had seen in action), he came here largely because of our past HOF coach's reputation, and he didn't think that IB could maintain our program.

Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
    Even then, our NIL is scraps compared to what Ricky probably got. I don’t blame them for jumping. Get your money while it’s available.
    First, you don't know how much money is available in the NIL department here at WSU.

Second, "Get your money while it's available", just points out the shortcomings of the college game, and what won't work at Wichita State. Look at Cheese Johnson who is still helping our community, and program in his retirement. Unless we get a "go getter" coach, who won't relent to mediocrity, we will become just another of the low level programs who has to go out on the road for buy games rather than host buy games. Not having a chance to be a Top 50 program consistently, and sometimes a Top 10-25 program will "DOOM" our program. Being a bottom 250 program just won't cut it at WSU in the long term.

Third, my pessimism (I don't think I'm alone) for the WSU program, and for college basketball, has a foundation in your opinions for the future of the college game. If all players have your attitude on the importance of "ME" first, the college game will become less and less interesting. To his credit, CP4 doesn't embody your opinion of "ME, ME, ME".

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe or maybe not, but we really have no way to know. I'm sure it didn't help but if IB is a recruiter, then it was still on him to recruit Ricky again. Recruiting players several times is the new norm. It could just as likely be that Ricky had little or no respect for IB (who he definitely had seen in action), he came here largely because of our past HOF coach's reputation, and he didn't think that IB could maintain our program.

First, you don't know how much money is available in the NIL department here at WSU.

Second, "Get your money while it's available", just points out the shortcomings of the college game, and what won't work at Wichita State. Look at Cheese Johnson who is still helping our community, and program in his retirement. Unless we get a "go getter" coach, who won't relent to mediocrity, we will become just another of the low level programs who has to go out on the road for buy games rather than host buy games. Not having a chance to be a Top 50 program consistently, and sometimes a Top 10-25 program will "DOOM" our program. Being a bottom 250 program just won't cut it at WSU in the long term.

Third, my pessimism (I don't think I'm alone) for the WSU program, and for college basketball, has a foundation in your opinions for the future of the college game. If all players have your attitude on the importance of "ME" first, the college game will become less and less interesting. To his credit, CP4 doesn't embody your opinion of "ME, ME, ME".
      It's really neat to hear about what you want college basketball to be, but Wichita State and the rest of the NCAA are wallowing in what it is.

Kids are looking out for themselves. Too many horror stories of kids who looked out for the team only to get shafted and left with nothing to show for it other than regrets for not capitalizing when the opportunity was there. As it is, Ricky IV took a big payday and is now the star player on a top-10 team. Doubt he regrets anything, doubt he ever will.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

It's really neat to hear about what you want college basketball to be, but Wichita State and the rest of the NCAA are wallowing in what it is.

Kids are looking out for themselves. Too many horror stories of kids who looked out for the team only to get shafted and left with nothing to show for it other than regrets for not capitalizing when the opportunity was there. As it is, Ricky IV took a big payday and is now the star player on a top-10 team. Doubt he regrets anything, doubt he ever will.
        Fine and dandy but if you’re right and you probably are, then the Shox glory days (55-65, 81-88, 20011-2018) are over. I saw it coming and didn’t renew my tickets. I don’t ever see it coming back, and I’m moving on. I bet you aren’t buying tickets either. Now if you like college basketball, you’re interested only in the Top 50 teams. I was a fan with tickets for almost 40 years. I’m not interested. You will be sitting by yourself in Koch Arena.

Comment

Fine and dandy but if you’re right and you probably are, then the Shox glory days (55-65, 81-88, 20011-2018) are over. I saw it coming and didn’t renew my tickets. I don’t ever see it coming back, and I’m moving on. I bet you aren’t buying tickets either. Now if you like college basketball, you’re interested only in the Top 50 teams. I was a fan with tickets for almost 40 years. I’m not interested. You will be sitting by yourself in Koch Arena.
          I mentioned previously on another thread not to underestimate the impact of all these mercenaries that are coming and going, espeically at Wichita State, on the interest level of fans and their willingness to put out the money and time to follow the team in person. Will it come back? I did not predict it wouldn't but I did predict that it would be very challenging.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 29, 2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Part of the kids getting shafted is their own problem. Cheese is a great example of a player who came from inner city New York and made something of himself, after basketball. He took the free education and did something with it.

I will add that Jay Bilas agrees with you, but he make several million each year as a media person. . I’m out so now a new generation of Shocker fans ( you and Boston Wu) can contribute the thousands I paid for decades to keep the Shox relevant, and afloat. I’m out.
            Last edited by Shockm; November 29, 2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• How many times does one have to say they are out? Have no regrets and move on, please!

Comment

• We’re a feeder school now, gotta get used to it. We may catch lightning in a bottle again with the right coach and the right group of players, sorta like what Houston is doing now, but the current situation will not get us there.

Comment

• If anyone hasn't caught the Razorbacks freshman 6'7" Freshman PG (Black) I highly suggest watching him play. Dude is ridiculously good.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    If anyone hasn't caught the Razorbacks freshman 6'7" Freshman PG (Black) I highly suggest watching him play. Dude is ridiculously good.
                    Sorry. Don’t care about Arkansas.

Comment

• Shaman is not urgent enough and Pohto is being too much of a pu$$.

Comment

• Bad call on Pierre

Comment

Part of the kids getting shafted is their own problem. Cheese is a great example of a player who came from inner city New York and made something of himself, after basketball. He took the free education and did something with it.

I will add that Jay Bilas agrees with you, but he make several million each year as a media person. . I’m out so now a new generation of Shocker fans ( you and Boston Wu) can contribute the thousands I paid for decades to keep the Shox relevant, and afloat. I’m out.
                          The fact that your example is a player from nearly 45 years ago should tell you all you need to know about how apt it is to today's environment. Again, I'm glad Shockernet exists to give you a forum for your opinion pieces, but lets not pretend college sports in the 2020s is anything like it was in the 1970s.
                          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

The fact that your example is a player from nearly 45 years ago should tell you all you need to know about how apt it is to today's environment. Again, I'm glad Shockernet exists to give you a forum for your opinion pieces, but lets not pretend college sports in the 2020s is anything like it was in the 1970s.
                            Sad but true

Comment

• WSU has created a whole new definition of a "one and done" player.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                COLLEGE BASKERBALL has created a whole new definition of a "one and done" player.
                                FIFY.
                                this isn't a WSU problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X