Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
    None of this matters. Ivy league school endowments are there for a reason and none of it will ever be mixed with athletics. So what's the point?
    Good Lord, this isn't theory. Harvard has over 10 coaches endowed TODAY, and probably several more.

Here's a reference from 2010 ... https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...hing-position/

Now it's just a matter of scale.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Yale's head basketball coach is ALREADY endowed.

As Beth Healy, Nicole Dungca, and Patricia Wen report in a terrific piece for The Boston Globe entitled “Ivy League coaching endowments raise ethics questions,” “It’s right there on the Yale University website: For a cool $2 million, donors can endow a coaching position, essentially supporting the coach’s salary forever. The endowments for the top jobs in baseball, volleyball, gymnastics — they are all for sale. Perks for donors include a plaque in the sports office, and the chance to name the endowment after one’s family, or to honor someone else, including the current coach. ‘The possibilities are endless,’ touts Yale’s athletic department site. There may be other benefits, too. A Globe review found that in at least a half-dozen cases at Yale, families endowed coaching positions or programs shortly before their children went on to attend the highly competitive Ivy League school.”

Comment

• Princeton?

There are two types of Athletics Endowments: Programmatic and Coaching. To ensure the ongoing success of all Princeton sports, the University seeks new endowment funds for varsity athletics and club sports.

A gift of $2.5 million will endow a varsity head coaching position that, like an endowed academic chair, both funds and pays tribute to an outstanding teacher-coach.

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports...princeton.aspx

Their men's basketball coach? Endowed (not physically -- well maybe, but that's not my business)

HC of Baseball? Endowed.

HC of Football? Endowed.

Golf? Soccer? Track and Field? All endowed.

It's just a matter of time and scale now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Princeton?

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports...princeton.aspx

Their men's basketball coach? Endowed (not physically -- well maybe, but that's not my business)

HC of Baseball? Endowed.

HC of Football? Endowed.

Golf? Soccer? Track and Field? All endowed.

It's just a matter of time and scale now.
          For the low low price of 2.5 million .. you too can adopt a coach and make sure he never goes hungry again.

*cues "In the arms of an angel" song*

Comment

• This is depressing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

For the low low price of 2.5 million .. you too can adopt a coach and make sure he never goes hungry again.

*cues "In the arms of an angel" song*
              Imagine your endowment growing to the point of being able to pay a coach several millions dollars per year and ...

not a single fan ever bought a ticket, and
              not one student paid a single athletic fee, and
              there is no TV contract in place, and
              there is no revenue from post tournament success.

Comment

Imagine your endowment growing to the point of being able to pay a coach several millions dollars per year and ...

not a single fan ever bought a ticket, and
                not one student paid a single athletic fee, and
                there is no TV contract in place, and
                there is no revenue from post tournament success.
                “You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!”
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Good Lord, this isn't theory. Harvard has over 10 coaches endowed TODAY, and probably several more.

Here's a reference from 2010 ... https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...hing-position/

Now it's just a matter of scale.
                  Lol...squash coach endowed. What are any of these coaches getting paid?

Here's the million dollar question: how many 4-5 star athletes could get admitted? Please answer that question for me as you seem oddly fixated on this topic.

Comment

• Translation: you can do a lot with few rules and a **** pot full of money, including making an academically rich school a nice landing place for athletes and coaches.
                    Last edited by shoxlax; May 18, 2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Yale's head basketball coach is ALREADY endowed.
                      How do you know that OUR COACH is not well endowed?

Comment

• I think the bigger issues with Ivy League schools is are they willing to relax academic standards to compete at the highest level?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                          I think the bigger issues with Ivy League schools is are they willing to relax academic standards to compete at the highest level?
                          I mean, some of them have already dropped testing scores on their admissions process, so....

(Also, based on the students speaking at some of these protests on campus, I would say the relaxation is well underway)
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

I mean, some of them have already dropped testing scores on their admissions process, so....

(Also, based on the students speaking at some of these protests on campus, I would say the relaxation is well underway)
                            Good point. Maybe the distinction is book smart vs. common sense smart.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Lol...squash coach endowed. What are any of these coaches getting paid?

Here's the million dollar question: how many 4-5 star athletes could get admitted? Please answer that question for me as you seem oddly fixated on this topic.
                              Multiple times you have emphatically stated that Ivy League schools will not use endowments for athletics.

I posted a series of articles showing you they already are. (and I am only pointing out the Ivy Leagues, but there are several other schools with massive endowments that can and will do damage)

You laugh about the article discussing a Squash coach, when the article was posted to demonstrate there are a bunch of others. There are now 18 endowed coaches at Harvard. 12 men's and 6 women's. There were only 11 when that article was written twelve years ago.

You dismiss it because their salary must be low. According to one article Harvard's men's basketball coach is making $700k/yr. Already not too shabby. Meanwhile, that endowment is just compounding away .. year after year after year.

I don't care what percent of 4 and 5 star athletes could get admitted. I know it only takes about 5 of them to be admitted to have one of the best teams in the nation.

A National Review article had this to say about Harvard's admissions of athletes:

An economist hired by Students for Fair Admissions, which is suing Harvard for discriminating against Asian Americans, found that athletes who scored a 4 on Harvard’s internal scale — 1 being the highest and 6 the lowest — are 1,000 times more likely to be admitted.
                              An average application with a 4 may have a 0.05% chance of being admitted, while the athlete with the same score has a 50% chance.

Stark reality: If WSU is not setting up athletic oriented endowments today, then WSU is doomed to mediocrity or lower at some point in the future.

Comment

Multiple times you have emphatically stated that Ivy League schools will not use endowments for athletics.

I posted a series of articles showing you they already are. (and I am only pointing out the Ivy Leagues, but there are several other schools with massive endowments that can and will do damage)

You laugh about the article discussing a Squash coach, when the article was posted to demonstrate there are a bunch of others. There are now 18 endowed coaches at Harvard. 12 men's and 6 women's. There were only 11 when that article was written twelve years ago.

You dismiss it because their salary must be low. According to one article Harvard's men's basketball coach is making $700k/yr. Already not too shabby. Meanwhile, that endowment is just compounding away .. year after year after year.

I don't care what percent of 4 and 5 star athletes could get admitted. I know it only takes about 5 of them to be admitted to have one of the best teams in the nation.

A National Review article had this to say about Harvard's admissions of athletes:

An average application with a 4 may have a 0.05% chance of being admitted, while the athlete with the same score has a 50% chance.

Stark reality: If WSU is not setting up athletic oriented endowments today, then WSU is doomed to mediocrity or lower at some point in the future.
                                You may be worried about ivy leagues. That's your prerogative. I have zero concern because they're not ever going to admit enough elite athletes to matter. Most elite athletes don't even care about going to class or have intentions of graduating.

I agree endowments, NIL, whatever matter in order to compete against peer athletic institutions (not ivy leagues). I'm simply concerned about competent leadership (both administrators and coaches) can lead the way in getting butts in the seats and rengaging the donor base. I just find it really bizarre you seem worried about Yale and Havard. You may be right but I'd bet a healthy sum you're way off.

Comment

Working...
                                X