Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

I probably missed it, but did another Shocker hit the portal today besides Ricky?
    There’s only 2 left

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
      Program in Shambles!
      College basketball in shambles. I (along with lots of others who have been expressing the same thing) am out. So sad, because it was fun for such a long time.

Comment

• The travel expense of being in the AAC isn't going to be offset by any TV revenue the Shox get from ESPN. Basketball season ticket sales and SASO contributions are going to decline. The major boosters and donors aren't interested in supporting the current situation.

The current worst case scenario is that the current administration and athletic department decide that WSU can no longer afford to fund athletics.
        Last edited by WuTheOne; April 22, 2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
          The travel expense of being in the AAC isn't going to be offset by any TV revenue the Shox get from ESPN. Basketball season ticket sales and SASO contributions are going to decline. The major boosters and donors aren't interested in supporting the current situation.

The current worst case scenario is that the current administration and athletic department decide that WSU can no longer afford to fund athletics.
          Maybe I should be careful what I wish for, but if WSU isn’t going to even try to compete at the highest level, what’s the ****ing point of having athletics?
          78-65

Comment

• How hard is it for the AD to create something called “Shocker Connect” to help businesses, alumni, fans, and donors to help with NIL deals. I mean come on. I got a computer degree from WSU and even I can come up with a program to assist with NIL deals. Our AD must be employed by a bunch of nimrods.
            Shocker Alumni
            Shocker Club Soccer alumni
            Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Maybe I should be careful what I wish for, but if WSU isn’t going to even try to compete at the highest level, what’s the ****ing point of having athletics?
              The university, athletic department and community has just got to find a way in this new era for a "fighting chance".

The doom and gloom is upon us and some tweaks in the university's matrix needs to come to frutation yesterday. They need to get ahead of this NIL thing and put something together quickly to bring in some high talent. Get a few guys that demand to get paid....want to play for Coach IB...and the 10,000 will show right back up.

Basketball is entertainment. Good players equals good product. Even if we cant outspend the P-5 football money...we offer playing time and passionate fans filling up the arena. Fighting chance!!!

Here...please hold my beer!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I expected the players to leave would indeed leave. The exception is RCIV. I wish all of the players luck going forward except RCIV. For what ever reason I feel his departure the most personal to WSU and fans. I see the value of a portal but not in its current format. Kids should be able to transfer but go back to the sitting for a year unless there is a coaching change. WSU needs to coordinate/lead some type of collective to counter other schools initiatives that are now in place. Now is the time for the leaders of the University and the Athletic departments at least communicate to the faithful and those that have lost faith of what they intend to do. With out strong decisive leadership and direction I feel that the future is not looking good.

Comment

The travel expense of being in the AAC isn't going to be offset by any TV revenue the Shox get from ESPN. Basketball season ticket sales and SASO contributions are going to decline. The major boosters and donors aren't interested in supporting the current situation.

Crazy. And possible.

Comment

That is not the worst scenario - it is actually the best. The whole idea of athletics is to provide opportunities who are gifted athletically with opportunities to get a college education. That is not valued anymore, therefore it is outside the mission of the university.

So the logical thing would be to get rid of athletics, thus reducing fees and reinvest the money that goes into athletics, in the average student. Only argument I can see for keeping athletics is it draws students to the university. But that means actually trying and competing on a national level - which does t look like the plan with this adminstration.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      I expected the players to leave would indeed leave. The exception is RCIV. I wish all of the players luck going forward except RCIV. For what ever reason I feel his departure the most personal to WSU and fans. I see the value of a portal but not in its current format. Kids should be able to transfer but go back to the sitting for a year unless there is a coaching change. WSU needs to coordinate/lead some type of collective to counter other schools initiatives that are now in place. Now is the time for the leaders of the University and the Athletic departments at least communicate to the faithful and those that have lost faith of what they intend to do. With out strong decisive leadership and direction I feel that the future is not looking good.
                      I have a hard time blaming Ricky. One of the reasons he (and a couple others) waited this long to go in the portal is because they were waiting to see what WSU would do as far NIL programs. WSU did nothing. It's like going to your boss and telling them you got an offer for triple your pay and your bosses response is "well you should stay here for the love of your job". You'd hop too.

I don't blame the kids, any reasonable person would do the same thing in their career. I blame our administration for trying to operate as if the market hasn't changed. We are quickly becoming the "Blockbuster Video" with this mindset trying to survive off our name but doing nothing else different.

Comment

• It's one thing for players to transfer. It's another when they transfer because they are getting a 6 figure NIL deal. I really can't blame the player, I don't blame people not wanting to pony up to play the game to keep WSU relevant either. It's a free country. The NCAA and the dirty bastards in the club get their way. They always get their way. It's inevitable. Why piss away money treading water when the hole will never be filled and eventually sink? It's smart and the people with their money, don't have it because they are dumb. And probably get treated like **** by those in charge anyway by the admin. (Not IB, I'm sure he's a good dude in over his head in unchartered waters). The only individual who might have been able to navigate this was GM, and he's gone.

It was fun for a while. We had some good times. The party was great, but as usual, a few drink too much and start fighting and the party ends and everyone goes home. Except for the greasy bastard degenerate ****s who don't have to work the next day because their dad's the boss and owner of the company. **** them.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• We've become the K-Mart of NCAA basketball. Once a really great place that a lot of people liked, now the top executives are bleeding it dry and taking the golden parachute while it all burns down.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That is not the worst scenario - it is actually the best. The whole idea of athletics is to provide opportunities who are gifted athletically with opportunities to get a college education. That is not valued anymore, therefore it is outside the mission of the university.

So the logical thing would be to get rid of athletics, thus reducing fees and reinvest the money that goes into athletics, in the average student. Only argument I can see for keeping athletics is it draws students to the university. But that means actually trying and competing on a national level - which does t look like the plan with this adminstration.
                            As insane as it sounds and I can't believe I'm typing this...I agree. If we aren't going to compete in this new landscape of college athletics, we need to find a new draw for students. Innovation campus is a great start for bringing in new students.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                              It's one thing for players to transfer. It's another when they transfer because they are getting a 6 figure NIL deal. I really can't blame the player, I don't blame people not wanting to pony up to play the game to keep WSU relevant either. It's a free country. The NCAA and the dirty bastards in the club get their way. They always get their way. It's inevitable. Why piss away money treading water when the hole will never be filled and eventually sink? It's smart and the people with their money, don't have it because they are dumb. And probably get treated like **** by those in charge anyway by the admin. (Not IB, I'm sure he's a good dude in over his head in unchartered waters). The only individual who might have been able to navigate this was GM, and he's gone.

It was fun for a while. We had some good times. The party was great, but as usual, a few drink too much and start fighting and the party ends and everyone goes home. Except for the greasy bastard degenerate ****s who don't have to work the next day because their dad's the boss and owner of the company. **** them.
                              Marshall built the Shocker basketball brand into something special, not Sexton and not Boatright. Marshall was the promoter that built connections in the community and brought excitement to events. It's not Brown's fault but he just doesn't have the persona to succeed in this environment. Boatright and Brown are a lethal combination to our beloved Shocker program.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• I'm not even sure what to say. A lot of NIL talk from national media guys on the timeline today. Feel free to ignore the rant below, I'm not even quite sure what the purpose of it is.

I moved to the KC area four years ago. I miss Wichita a lot, more specifically I miss going to Koch Arena. Some of my favorite memories are from Koch Arena; Ron and Fred's senior day, JR Simon lighting it up on his senior day, the horrible loss to UNI that ended our home win streak, the close, and eventual loss to Cincinnati, the first AAC home game against Houston.

I understand why Shocker fans are having an issue with NIL and transfers. We're used to having our guys for four years, seeing them grow, and then end their career as a Shocker. When I think of Shocker basketball, my most recent, vivid memory, is of Jaime Echenique kissing the logo on the floor of Koch Arena on his senior night. That was, to me, a proud moment because it showed how much he appreciated being at WSU. We haven't had someone since Jaime that was legitimately proud of being a Shocker. Dexter and Morris stuck around for four years, but I never got the feeling that they loved being a Shocker, but just that they were Wichita State basketball players. They released the exact same statement, because they didn't feel like they needed to acknowledge being a Shocker. Jaime had some videos on his Instagram story this morning of him going to a basketball game in Colombia, and as he was walking on the floor they were showing his senior day WSU highlight video.

I really don't expect to see that level of love and pride in the program from our athletes again. I'm, unfortunately, around a lot of KU fans every day. One thing one KU fan said to me is that he loves the wins, but misses when KU would bring in guys that would stay their entire college career, it's hard to keep up with tradition when you have one and done guys, or guys that only stay one or two years. I think that WSU fans are starting to feel and experience the same thing. We aren't losing players to the NBA every year, but we're losing so many guys every year for a variety of reasons, that it's hard to continue that tradition that we're used to.

Comment

Working...
                                X