Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You have no read on Wichita. Marshall wouldn’t put up with this and he had plenty of big money support to make things happen.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Marshall had the flair and personality to pull people in and make the NIL deal work. ADDB does not and HCIB does not. I know guys who supported the program with dollars who no longer will. All those players who cheered when IB was named head coach are basically leaving the program. That has to tell us something.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
      For some reason today just kind of broke me. The fun of college sports is watching kids develop from skinny awkward Freshman to studs by their senior year. This NIL has ruined everything. I have zero interest in cheering for kids for a year then waiving goodbye to half of them as they leave for greener pastures each year. Our local billionaire could step in tonight and create a massive slush fund that allows us to compete for the best of the best, and I still do not think it would interest me much. College basketball is becoming the NBA light, and the NBA is a simply unwatchable product these days. Our family has had season tickets continually since the late 60's. I will always be a Shocker fan, but I just ripped up our renewal form.
      Have you received your ticket renewal form yet? I have received the SASO renewal but I’m waiting on the ticket renewal.

But yeah, I’m prepared to do the same as you.
      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
        HOT TAKE:

This is so “Wichita”. NIL is very much a progressive and sort of innovative style program that requires many wealthy to be on board with it. Wichita is well known for being a bit of a lagging market, and not a market leader. We don’t take the first step forward. We don’t act first. And as a result, our city’s so far behind other comparable cities in terms of employment growth, opportunities for youth, etc.

I love shocker basketball, but as someone who’s involved in tech and entrepreneurship, I had to leave Wichita (and consequently make 7x what I made in wichita).

This honestly truly boils down to wealth, leadership, the entire mindset here. So I’m not surprised the f***ing TULANE is ahead of the game compared to us. That’s why they’re snagging some solid recruits. Purely because of NIL.

college basketball is now more than who’ll coach me up. It’s “how do I get life changing money while I can?” Especially since most kids will not hit the pros. We’re even seeing it where pro-ready players are staying in college because they make MORE from NIL. Just see Kentucky
        You are on to something...

Wichita is a town that pays incentives for AA baseball stadiums and Top Golf, while other cities are giving incentives to companies with high earners that make baseball teams and retailers want to invest THEIR capital.

​​​​​​​Spend any time away from Wichita and you'll see how sick that patient is.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Wish them all well in their personal lives, but hope they crater at their new schools.

Comment

• College ball is basically a minor league now. All about the $$$.

Comment

• Alright so what walk on are we going to get a commitment from today

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Alright so what walk on are we going to get a commitment from today
                Next headline: Preferred walk-on earns full scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

You are both right and wrong. Marshall wouldn't let Boatright sit and do nothing with NIL ... but that doesn't mean the players would have stayed because of other reasons.
                  You added your opinion to what I said. He would have demanded more of AD Boatright

Comment

• It's not ****ing rocket science folks

Comment

• I am also done “wishing players luck” after they bolt for greener pastures. Sorry, barely knew you, may you get what you deserve.

Comment

• One of my favorite clips. Perfectly describes the Bulls of the 90s and the changing landscape of the NBA. It's now come to college basketball nearly 25 years later.

"The organizations that have the resources [...] will almost always field contending teams, but the days of continuity may be ending. Even on the best teams, there's now so much turnover that it's becoming ever harder to follow and identify with teams. Loyalty has been fragmented..."
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                          HOT TAKE:

This is so “Wichita”. NIL is very much a progressive and sort of innovative style program that requires many wealthy to be on board with it. Wichita is well known for being a bit of a lagging market, and not a market leader. We don’t take the first step forward. We don’t act first. And as a result, our city’s so far behind other comparable cities in terms of employment growth, opportunities for youth, etc.

I love shocker basketball, but as someone who’s involved in tech and entrepreneurship, I had to leave Wichita (and consequently make 7x what I made in wichita).

This honestly truly boils down to wealth, leadership, the entire mindset here. So I’m not surprised the f***ing TULANE is ahead of the game compared to us. That’s why they’re snagging some solid recruits. Purely because of NIL.

college basketball is now more than who’ll coach me up. It’s “how do I get life changing money while I can?” Especially since most kids will not hit the pros. We’re even seeing it where pro-ready players are staying in college because they make MORE from NIL. Just see Kentucky
                          Nothing stopping you from inserting a sizable % of your 7X salary into the NIL pot. It's really not that complicated.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Seriously, before everybody completely blames all of this on IB, until we get serious about NIL warfare like Kel suggests, it will only get worse.

Soccer anyone?
                            I wish I weren't correct on that. I really do. I hate what these things have done to college basketball. But this thing has gone off the rails and the athletic department AND donors/major players don't seem to be serious about understanding the threat that continuing to do nothing poses.

I'm not saying I'm out here offering NIL deals to players to make them stay. I don't have any of the resources to make that happen. But I do hope, for the sake of the program and the university that we all love, that those who do can start making something happen.

Time will tell. But we're off to a bad start.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I am also done “wishing players luck” after they bolt for greener pastures. Sorry, barely knew you, may you get what you deserve.
                              MY sentiments exactly ! I, for one, WILL be keeping my measly two season tickets as unhappy as I am. The remaining loyal players and the new ones will need our support.
                              Last edited by asiseeit; April 21, 2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                                You are on to something...

Wichita is a town that pays incentives for AA baseball stadiums and Top Golf, while other cities are giving incentives to companies with high earners that make baseball teams and retailers want to invest THEIR capital.

Spend any time away from Wichita and you'll see how sick that patient is.
                                For comparison Colorado Springs is roughly same size town and not a cent was spent to land Top Golf.

Comment

Working...
                                X