Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

So what are we getting for our money here? He needs help with Xs and Os. He needs somebody to mentor him and show him the ropes on how to deal with players and personalities. He needs someone to help with recruiting. He needs someone to help with fund raising. Holy crap! What else?

At least with $0.01 you were gonna get a top 5 recruiting class every year. That's totally worth the gamble.
    I'm not arguing anything you said there. Just saying "what can we do until we can afford to buy him out" is get different assistants. Our money is spent already. We don't have an "oops bad contract" button to cancel it. Just have to figure out how to deal with it.

Comment

The original mistake was the contract offered IB. It should have been for
      a year and a half instead of five and a half. Had they done that IB
      would probably be out or back as an assistant. The door would have been
      open for Jans if DB / donors had any brain matter.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

The times I travelled with the team , the assistants are the ones who generally did the scout on opposing teams. HC might take some here or there, but the HC is more of the orchestrator, conductor, and motivator. That's for the game-by-game coaching.

I'm sure that changes at practice, where I'm guessing the HC does a lot more coaching there. That said, different positions are broken down and coached by different assistants.

Recruiting, we need someone with connections to different regions of the U.S., prep schools, AAU coaches, etc.. And in the NIL environment, we need people with bags.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          Year and a half wouldn't work. You can't expect a coach to recruit with that small of contract. Now what you can do is give him a 5 year with a manageable buyout though. 100% contract value in the first 3 years is just insane. Not to mention the wording that IB wasn't ALLOWED to leave for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post

The times I travelled with the team , the assistants are the ones who generally did the scout on opposing teams. HC might take some here or there, but the HC is more of the orchestrator, conductor, and motivator. That's for the game-by-game coaching.

I'm sure that changes at practice, where I'm guessing the HC does a lot more coaching there. That said, different positions are broken down and coached by different assistants.

Recruiting, we need someone with connections to different regions of the U.S., prep schools, AAU coaches, etc.. And in the NIL environment, we need people with bags.
            We've got shady car dealers in Wichita .. where are they at with this? I did notice KU players advertising for the car dealers in Lawrence/KC

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Not everyone can be a super star, true. Everyone can play smart and in a system though.

WSU needs to get players with complimentary skills:
              - They need some who can ball handle.
              - They need some who can drive to the basket consistently.
              - They need shooters.

Not everyone has to be 5* at every skill, but everyone DOES have to be:
              - smart
              - on the same page
              - knowing their roll
              - giving all their effort on rebounding and deffense

This is the culture HCIB needs to work on developing.
              Thats not very inclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Jamar and Monzy not the same game. Jamar much more perimeter oriented and could dribble. Jamar was closer in style to Teddy Buckets than Monzy.
                I would compare Monzy to Ramone Clemente, who Marshall corralled into being a pretty good player.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

So how does someone who's been coaching for 18 years or whatever suddenly learn Xs and Os? What the bleep has he been doing all these years? I would contend that if he doesn't know that crap by now he ain't gonna. It's the being the leader, dealing with personalities and expectations, PR, fundraising, etc. that would be the transition. Not the game.

We are freaking screwed!
                  IB knows Xs and Os. I have been around the program enough to know that. Ask Jans, Forbes, Heier, and Marshall. They will tell you the same thing.

That is not and will never be the issue. It is translating that knowledge to players so they grasp it, by whatever means work. It is also successfully recruiting talent to compete with the rest of the league and nation.

Those two items are where my concerns are and have been from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    You can't sign a coach for a year and a half. There is no way anybody would go play for someone who could be gone before they got there. Again, 4 years at 400-500k a year would have been the right numbers with a low end buyout after three.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You can't sign a coach for a year and a half. There is no way anybody would go play for someone who could be gone before they got there. Again, 4 years at 400-500k a year would have been the right numbers with a low end buyout after three.
                      He probably would have signed a contract with zero buyout for that money. Hell, for that matter this contract would have been much more palatable with a zero buyout.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Normally, I'd agree a year and a half contract wouldn't do, BUT it was
                        in the middle of a very abnormal year. All things considered I believe
                        a contingency contract could have been coordinated and with the
                        easy transfer rules unhappy signees could always change their minds.
                        Offer a year and a half at $500K with years 3 and four contingent on
                        the team/coaches performance....zero buyout. Add in some dance incentives.
                        He would have taken it no brainer. "Times are a changin"

Comment

Ummm…zero buyout wasn’t an option because that gives exactly ZERO security. I’m far from happy with how things are going and didn’t want IB named as permanent HC, but you all want things that weren’t realistic. A smaller buyout would have protected WSU better, sure, and I’ll wholeheartedly agree. But stop with the zero buyout nonsense.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

If scholarships and players commitments are a year-to-year thing now, then schools should also be able to tell players their scholarships are being utilized elsewhere next season.

If that's they way to works with the rules written they way they currently are, than you've got to exploit them for your benefit as a school like the players are for themselves.
                            And just as big a deal is coaches contracts. No need for a 4 yr contract to less than stellar coaches. Those contracts were in place for recruiting purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

IB knows Xs and Os. I have been around the program enough to know that. Ask Jans, Forbes, Heier, and Marshall. They will tell you the same thing.

That is not and will never be the issue. It is translating that knowledge to players so they grasp it, by whatever means work. It is also successfully recruiting talent to compete with the rest of the league and nation.

Those two items are where my concerns are and have been from the start.
                              If true, why did we continue to run the same pass, dribble, pass, dribble, pass dribble, throw up a contested 3 pointer all year? Or the famous end of half plays - give it to Tyson to sit on the ball near half court until the clock winds down to 4 seconds then have him make the off balance, twisting , contested shot ?

He may know how to analyze an opponents game but I'm not convinced he knows how to counter it.

Comment

5 year contract for an unproven coach is fine so long as it’s structured with a low base and lots of incentives plus out clauses for underperforming. The problem is it was a terrible contract designed by an unqualified AD.

Comment

Working...
                                X