Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal Discussion (outgoing player tracking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

If scholarships and players commitments are a year-to-year thing now, then schools should also be able to tell players their scholarships are being utilized elsewhere next season.

If that's they way to works with the rules written they way they currently are, than you've got to exploit them for your benefit as a school like the players are for themselves.
    totally agree. This is a big reason IB gets paid a mill a year. You gotta have tough conversations and make tough decisions. If I'm IB, I keep Qua and tell Joe, "sorry bud, you're better off getting big minutes at a lower level. My job is on the line if I don't win more games so I gotta find a big that can provide some job security".

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Jamar and Monzy not the same game. Jamar much more perimeter oriented and could dribble. Jamar was closer in style to Teddy Buckets than Monzy.
      I wasn't comparing their game. I am definitely comparing their hops and energy.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Show me a player with crazy Jamar Howard energy, hops and attitude, and I'll show you a player that can be COACHED into something special.

I feel like Monzy did not get the discipline he needed to excel at the D1 level. Simply not playing a kid with that energy is not discipline -- that's just demotivation. IMHO, he needed a love-asschew-showme sandwich.

"I LOVE your energy and effort!"
        "But you have to be smart with it or you will sit your ass instead of continuing to turn the f***ing ball over because you aren't using your head."
        3 minutes later ... "now check in and show me you can bring that fierce energy when [rebounding/pressing/wherever the coach likes his speed and hops], and ALSO show me you can slow down and run our system properly [on offense/in transition/against the press/whatever situation he screwed up]."

And he needs lots of playing time to eat a lot of those sandwiches until he consistently demonstrates what's expected of him.
        Yep. I fully expect that if Monzy goes to a team that has an actual coach, he will be able to harness the energy and control it and will ultimately be successful.

Comment

The program needs consistency, not churn. Everybody can’t be a superstar, but solid depth and guys who grow into their skillset is what this program needs. WSU won’t replace him with any better talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

totally agree. This is a big reason IB gets paid a mill a year. You gotta have tough conversations and make tough decisions. If I'm IB, I keep Qua and tell Joe, "sorry bud, you're better off getting big minutes at a lower level. My job is on the line if I don't win more games so I gotta find a big that can provide some job security".
            I'm not ready to give up on Qua without a definitively better replacement. It felt like it was starting to click for him at the end of the year. Joe, i agree, I saw no improvement from him throughout the year. He is what he is and that's not what we need

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              The program needs consistency, not churn. Everybody can’t be a superstar, but solid depth and guys who grow into their skillset is what this program needs. WSU won’t replace him with any better talent.
              Not everyone can be a super star, true. Everyone can play smart and in a system though.

WSU needs to get players with complimentary skills:
              - They need some who can ball handle.
              - They need some who can drive to the basket consistently.
              - They need shooters.

Not everyone has to be 5* at every skill, but everyone DOES have to be:
              - smart
              - on the same page
              - knowing their roll
              - giving all their effort on rebounding and deffense

This is the culture HCIB needs to work on developing.
              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                I agree that consistency and building an experienced team over time is what allowed WSU to compete and succeed against the big boys. Of course, guys like Fred, Ron and Evan were about the highest character types you could possibly find. Not sure those types are that easy to find anymore and the Transfer Portal and Transfer rules make building a program in that manner much more difficulty if not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Not everyone can be a super star, true. Everyone can play smart and in a system though.

WSU needs to get players with complimentary skills:
                  - They need some who can ball handle.
                  - They need some who can drive to the basket consistently.
                  - They need shooters.

Not everyone has to be 5* at every skill, but everyone DOES have to be:
                  - smart
                  - on the same page
                  - knowing their roll
                  - giving all their effort on rebounding and deffense

This is the culture HCIB needs to work on developing.
                  That does not seem to be his coaching style. U would think by year 2 he would be putting a positive mark on this program if it was.

Comment

I want to get Coach Heiar on the staff as an assistant incredibly bad. I think he would bring some great X's and O's to the team that we are so clearly lacking, especially on offense or late game situations.

Comment

IMO, we had the talent to be the 3rd best team in our conference this year
                      and to be well within the bubble to make the dance. IMO we didn't play
                      TEAM ball and that falls on coaching. I thought TE and MU were allowed to
                      play to selfishly and it kind of set a precedent for the others to do their own
                      things on the court, as well. The team stayed competitive thanks to CP and
                      RC. Hope they are back along with KP. IB needs to learn his X's and O's
                      much better along with running the team instead of allowing the team to run
                      him, but to be honest, I am not sure he can do either.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

So how does someone who's been coaching for 18 years or whatever suddenly learn Xs and Os? What the bleep has he been doing all these years? I would contend that if he doesn't know that crap by now he ain't gonna. It's the being the leader, dealing with personalities and expectations, PR, fundraising, etc. that would be the transition. Not the game.

We are freaking screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

So how does someone who's been coaching for 18 years or whatever suddenly learn Xs and Os? What the bleep has he been doing all these years? I would contend that if he doesn't know that crap by now he ain't gonna. It's the being the leader, dealing with personalities and expectations, PR, fundraising, etc. that would be the transition. Not the game.

We are freaking screwed!
                            To answer this honestly .. you hire someone as an assistant that is better at it than you .... a la Penny hiring Larry Brown. Of course you also have to let them help .. which Penny didn't do most of the year.

We can't change the Head coach this year .. but I'll be very disappointed if we don't shake up the assistants. They might all be good individually, but it didn't work with them all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

To answer this honestly .. you hire someone as an assistant that is better at it than you .... a la Penny hiring Larry Brown. Of course you also have to let them help .. which Penny didn't do most of the year.

We can't change the Head coach this year .. but I'll be very disappointed if we don't shake up the assistants. They might all be good individually, but it didn't work with them all together.
                              So what are we getting for our money here? He needs help with Xs and Os. He needs somebody to mentor him and show him the ropes on how to deal with players and personalities. He needs someone to help with recruiting. He needs someone to help with fund raising. Holy crap! What else?

At least with $0.01 you were gonna get a top 5 recruiting class every year. That's totally worth the gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

So what are we getting for our money here? He needs help with Xs and Os. He needs somebody to mentor him and show him the ropes on how to deal with players and personalities. He needs someone to help with recruiting. He needs someone to help with fund raising. Holy crap! What else?

At least with $0.01 you were gonna get a top 5 recruiting class every year. That's totally worth the gamble.
                                The times I travelled with the team , the assistants are the ones who generally did the scout on opposing teams. HC might take some here or there, but the HC is more of the orchestrator, conductor, and motivator. That's for the game-by-game coaching.

I'm sure that changes at practice, where I'm guessing the HC does a lot more coaching there. That said, different positions are broken down and coached by different assistants.

Recruiting, we need someone with connections to different regions of the U.S., prep schools, AAU coaches, etc.. And in the NIL environment, we need people with bags.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X