No announcement yet.

UCF at Wichita State Game Thread 1-26-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sooner Tyson realizes he’s a 4 year college player with a career in Euro afterwards, the better we will be. I’m not sure it’s clicked yet.

Comment

• It was my first game to attend in person since North Texas, and I'll say this....the crowd, though smaller than what it has been, was larger than I THOUGHT it would be and, around us, was totally supportive , through dumb plays and all....

Comment

• Some observations:

Body language was totally different. The guys on the bench were celebrating, Monzy was taking coaching and not pouting despite only getting 5 minutes. Guys were running to help up their teammates on the floor.

Post-game with the radio crew, RC4 gave a shoutout to the coaching staff. Maybe the first time I've heard a player do that all year.

DD was great. CP is the heart of the team.

Seeing JP with a -6 was kinda shocking. I thought he played pretty well. Kinda scary to see him breaking a press but don't remember him doing anything dumb while doing it.

TE was bad. Stealing the pass was a bad look. I thought our offense looked pretty bad without him on the floor. The lane was open for RC4 all game, likely due to the attention TE gets.

KP needs to get stronger.

Comment

• It was a good win. Up and down game (as expected). Now can they win another.

Comment

• It is a WIN for a team with an 0-4, now 1-4, conference record. I will take it. On to Tulane for some payback!

Go Shocks!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Barely watched the game. Will have to go back and do that. I had it pulled up on the laptop listening while doing other things.

Someone said TE didn't take a bad shot. Despite barely watching, I seen at least two.

We get our asses handed to us without C4.

Sounded like Dex played a pretty good all-around game.

Tyson needs to stop shooting the damned ball so much. If he didn't take any bad shots, he ****ing sucks. 2-13 on only good shots? Calling bullshit there.

I know Monzy is rough at times, but only 5 minutes? I'm pretty sure that may have all been in the 1st half too.

Porter is what makes this team actually function. I know he had some foul trouble last night, but he should be the centerpiece of this squad.

How did we get our asses kicked on the boards? I know we're not a great rebounding team as a whole, but damn.

11 assists on 22 baskets is improvement. Still not what I'd consider good, but improvement.

I might have more observations after I really settle in and watch. Doesn't sound like we did much different, which is discouraging. If we require C4 or someone going off to win games, it's going to be a long....longer season. But it looks like Tyson is going to continue doing everything he can to help us lose.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Yeah, Tyson took some bad shots. He still gets a lot of attention, though, so that's good. His defense is no longer average. He cannot get his own shots, and our staff struggles to get good shots for him. I like the kid, though. He's been a good Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  The sooner Tyson realizes he’s a 4 year college player with a career in Euro afterwards, the better we will be. I’m not sure it’s clicked yet.
                  I'm not sure he looks like someone who can get paid to play anywhere. His stats are horrible and there are many others in college that have shown more. If you had a team, would you hire him? I wouldn't, at least not at this point. The old Tyson? Hell yeah, I'll take him.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

You must really hate yourself.
                    I’m definitely not as cool as 790 friend guy.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I'm not sure he looks like someone who can get paid to play anywhere. His stats are horrible and there are many others in college that have shown more. If you had a team, would you hire him? I wouldn't, at least not at this point. The old Tyson? Hell yeah, I'll take him.
                      no, I would not. The real issue is that he's not good enough to be the centerpiece of a decent college team. He had a fluke season last year and he's playing like he has to be the guy this year. He is, however, a very good shooter on open jump shots. There is a place for a guy like that to play. He needs more college grooming to get there though.

As for last night, he was pretty quiet about 3/4 of the way through the first half. He wasn't forcing shots and the defense was draped all over him. That's exactly what we want and need as a team. Let the other guys do the damage and be the decoy. Tyson can't help himself though, he wants to get his shots off so he starts forcing. That's when IB needs to pull him. Get his head back in the game and tell him he's gonna have to live with being the decoy tonight.

Comment

• Anyone feel much different about this team after this game?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                          Anyone feel much different about this team after this game?
                          With Tyson still doing Tyson things? Nope.

Lets face it. We got pretty lucky. RCIV had to go off for us to hold off this team late. Also, UCF made some really dumb passes and plays. Like a lot of them. I don’t think that’s their norm. We definitely received a lot of gift-wrapped possessions. So yes, I think tonight was a bit of fool’s gold giving IB “the best feeling of his life”.

On the other hand, I was extremely impressed with DD and RC. DD was flying everywhere. He was playing like a freak. CP was missed with foul trouble but he continues to be a stable presence. He hit a big 3 late too. Most everyone played well except TE and to lesser extent Udeze. He passed out of the block once last night. He forced about 10 shots and was a turnover machine. He will also be our Achilles heel. Having two of those in a game really hurts our chances to succeed.

But yes, I’ll take the W. Win at Tulane (can’t believe I have to type that) and we can start talking a bit more.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Udeze suffers from the same disease as Tyson. They both think they have to carry the team. Take it when it works and stop forcing after they figure you out. Morris was great for the first 10 minutes. He thinks he can continue to dominate after the adjustments come and he just looks bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed View Post
                              the timeout at the end of the 1st so he could clank a 3... There might have been better and less predictable options. I miss the league MVP and NBA draft candidate.
                              IB only has one play in his end of the half/game repertoire OR perhaps, the play has several options, and Tyson only gets to the first one.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That unfortunately says more about the average poster on this board than it does about reality.
                                I think I'm average, so you must be talking to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X