No announcement yet.

UCF at Wichita State Game Thread 1-26-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Udeze seems to be about as likely to turn the ball over by passing it as by trying to dribble through a double team.

Comment

• Udeze could be a good backup/support player to another interior facilitator. It’s about finding a player that can be that starter and give the team what it needs most: length.

Comment

• Of course I am happy with the win BUT without RC going off, and I give HIM the credit,
        we no doubt lose. Porter had another very nice game, as well, with 5 assists & only one
        turnover leaving the rest of the team with only six. That is bad ! Got out rebounded by 9!
        TE with yet another pitiful game. Yea, I sure enjoyed the win but I didn't see much
        change in things. Great game RC. I think his playing so well was why Monzy didn't get PT.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I know how this will sound, but I miss the days when the first thought after the ball went through the net was, "what defense are we in, where's my man, or where do I need to be on the press".
          You mean like Cotton?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

You mean like Cotton?
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Player of the Game was clearly Ricky Council.

But I give the delivery of the game and the play of the game nods to Craig Porter.

Delivery of the Game: As the shot clock was expiring with just over 3 minutes to play Craig made an outstanding left handed bounce back from the 3-point line down the left-side of the lane that led Mo right to a no bounce dunk just beating the shot clock to stretch the Shocks lead to 70-59 with 3 minutes to play.. Runner-up was Ricky's lob pass to Mo for the catch and shoot layup.

Play of the Game: With the Shocker lead down to 6 with two minutes to play Craig drilled the step back 3-pointer as the shot clock was running down to extend the lead to 73-64 with 1:38 to go and putting UCF behind the 8-ball (see above).

Craig (5 assists) and Ricky (3 assists) had 8 of the Shocks 11 assist. Dex with 2 and Tyson with 1 had the only other assists.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 27, 2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm beginning to think that is just what college basketball as evolved into.
                This is correct and it is largely due to the 30 second clock which in general emphasizes heroball over team ball to emulate the pro game without the pro talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Player of the Game was clearly Ricky Council.

But I give the delivery of the game and the play of the game nods to Craig Porter.

Delivery of the Game: As the shot clock was expiring with just over 3 minutes to play Craig made an outstanding left handed bounce back from the 3-point line down the left-side of the lane that led Mo right to a no bounce dunk just beating the shot clock to stretch the Shocks lead to 70-59 with 3 minutes to play.. Runner-up was Ricky's lob pass to Mo for the catch and shoot layup.

Play of the Game: With the Shocker lead down to 6 with two minutes to play Craig drilled the step back 3-pointer as the shot clock was running down to extend the lead to 73-64 with 1:38 to go and putting UCF behind the 8-ball (see above).

Craig (5 assists) and Ricky (3 assists) had 8 of the Shocks 11 assist. Dex with 2 and Tyson with 1 had the only other assists.
                  I might be in the minority, but I would give Player of the Game to Dex. He set the tone. It was clear from the jump that he was there to win. He was all over the place all game. Defense, rebounding, offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I might be in the minority, but I would give Player of the Game to Dex. He set the tone. It was clear from the jump that he was there to win. He was all over the place all game. Defense, rebounding, offense.
                    I agree on all counts, but it's really hard to argue against 31 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I agree on all counts, but it's really hard to argue against 31 points.
                      Agreed. It's close but I'd flip a coin and give it to Dex.

Comment

Agreed. It's close but I'd flip a coin and give it to Dex.
                        How about "Coach's Player of the Game"?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

How about "Coach's Player of the Game"?
                          That sure wouldn't be Monzy. Just curious..... Last I looked, Monzy had the best plus/minus on the team. What's it going to take to get him more than 5 minutes a game? I understand the 2 fouls and a turnover, but still. Other boneheaded stuff that happened that didn't have such a several penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

That sure wouldn't be Monzy. Just curious..... Last I looked, Monzy had the best plus/minus on the team. What's it going to take to get him more than 5 minutes a game? I understand the 2 fouls and a turnover, but still. Other boneheaded stuff that happened that didn't have such a several penalty.
                            I think we have so many players that routinely play more than 1 position, sometimes (or many times) the shuffle of players can leave others out.

CP 1-2, QG 1-2, ETN 2-1, RC4 2-3, DD 3-4, Monzy 3-4, JP 4-5, KP 5-4, MU 5.

That's 3 that play the 1, 4 play the 2, 3 play the 3, 4 play the 4, and 3 play the 5.

Who has the hot hand and who doesn't, who's in foul trouble, who's not playing (injury/sickness/protocol), matchups. All these things move players around and that will be to someone's the detriment. It seems that someone is Monzy more than anyone else, since MO is going to get his minutes unless he's in foul trouble.

Just trying to make sense of it as I, too, would like to see more of Monzy and have said so before.

Comment

I second that motion

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I second that motion
                                Can't disagree, but the most important play of the game might have been when JP went to the floor and tried to save the ball in front of our bench. It energized the crowd and the team... something we haven't seen much of this season, and it was good to see some fire and extra effort.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X