Tulane at Wichita State Game Thread 1-12-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I think the latter part was more not letting him quit to take better job. If this continues to go off the rails, that part would get amended to allow a mutual parting.
    FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure we know that for sure yet. Even if there were some deep pockets ready to pull the string we would not hear about that until the end of this season at the earliest.

That said I'm guessing the big money will remain on the sidelines on this one for a couple of years and see how things play out. Especially, with the AAC going through a total remake. But I could be wrong about that guess.
      If we do pull the trigger at some point in the next year or two .. we better have the new coach lined up before we pull the trigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Just keep betting half the funds against the spread and we could hire anyone by the end of the season.
        The problem is those excessive spreads are probably going to start to vanish.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

This narrative is so tiresome. I’m on record saying you don’t hire him as your head coach. You realize that this was a one in a million season with Marshall resigning and COVID, and give the guy another year with the interim tag. 70% of the job is recruiting, and this guy demonstrated none of that in his interim role… absolute insanity.
          I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect an interim coach to be able to recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect an interim coach to be able to recruit.
            Yup, it would be absolute insanity to judge an interim coach on recruiting ... No player is going to sign up to play for a coach that the school hasn't even committed to be there the next season.

Comment

• I just re-watched the game and am unsure whether to be more or less concerned. Tulane didn’t really make a huge amount Xs & Os adjustments in the 2nd half offensively besides running their curl action with Forbes a lot tighter and he had his way with Tyson for probably 6+ points out of it. Also notable that once Tyson got his 4th, Ricky switched onto Forbes and they never went back to it, and struggled as bad as us offensively down the stretch. Tyson should have never been drawing that matchup.

Cross is also just a class above JP and Cross getting in foul trouble in the first half was as much fool’s gold for the defense as making 3s was for our offense. He got a few buckets where the defense didn’t really break down, just a product of JP being left to protect the rim against a bigger and better athlete.

I guess all of this is to say that my takeaway was moreso that Hunter didn’t necessarily seem to be running laps around IB schematically but that we just offered no adjustments to make them uncomfortable once they got going. Still pretty bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup, it would be absolute insanity to judge an interim coach on recruiting ... No player is going to sign up to play for a coach that the school hasn't even committed to be there the next season.
                maybe an interim could snag a couple D-2 guys..........

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I have been saying this for years, it doesn't matter who starts. What you do on the court when you are out there is what counts. If KP was also pouting because he didn't start, then he needs to put on his big boy pants grow up and accept his role for this team in this year.. When he was on the court he was abused. He played like a little scared girl.. The Shocks had a 14 point lead at half time. Starting the game is not what led to the lost. How they finished did.

PS. Some may think I am not a KP fan. Not true. I think he has a good future ahead at WSU as a center. I think he can really be good in time.. But the truth of the matter is he has been playing finesse basketball against players not as athletic as in the AAC. This is why he struggles. He needs time to put on weight and get stronger. The only question, is whether he willing to listen to the truth or accept the rat poison that he is ready now and should have significant more playing time right away.
                  It matters to the kids

Comment

• Sorry if this has been answered, but I have two questions:

1 - What was the largest half time lead blown by a fHCGM team?
                    2 - What was the largest lead ever blown by a fHCGM team?

(both at home, of course)

Might have been worth starting a new thread over, but I ended up deciding not to.
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

KP won't develop sitting on the bench and playing mostly center. He is a PF !!!!
                      KP may be a forward but at this point I don't think 'power' and Pohto should be used in the same sentence unless preceded by 'lack of'. But I do think he has some good upside. He has a ton of work to incorporate power into his game and his genetics may limit how strong he will be able to get. He certainly needs to get stronger but he also needs to get more athletic (quicker and more explosive). He has some skill and decent BBIQ but his physical limitations are a counter-balance to that at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                        Sorry if this has been answered, but I have two questions:

Might have been worth starting a new thread over, but I ended up deciding not to.
                        Didn’t look too deep but the first 2 games that came to mind were Notre Dame in Maui which was 15 at half and Temple at home in 2019 which was 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

It matters to the kids
                          Well you just said the magic words. "Kids" its all about growing up and maturing. Most college students will tell you they were better students and wiser as a senior than what they were as a freshman. In fact many years ago we use to protect freshmen and not even let them play until their sophmore year. Now they come in with unrealistic expectations and this leads to problems. And when they are fed rat poison about how good they are it only makes it worse. Ilove the story about Alabama tailback Robinson that waited his time. That's hard to find these days with so many players not willing to wait. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

It matters to the kids
                            This whole "he didn't start so he played bad" is the biggest reach to try to discredit the coaching staff. If a player doesn't play well because he's sad he didn't start, he should go elsewhere and he doesn't deserve praise from the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SshockerR View Post

Didn’t look too deep but the first 2 games that came to mind were Notre Dame in Maui which was 15 at half and Temple at home in 2019 which was 11.
                              So the second game would fit my @ home request.

When I think of Maui, I’ll always think of AR losing the game twice for us
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                Sorry if this has been answered, but I have two questions:

I imagine that the largest blown lead was at Indiana State in 2008. WSU led 48-27 with 13:42 to go. After ISU Blue went on a 21-0 run to tie game, WSU regained its footing to take a 62-52 lead with 2:32 and led by 9 with 1:22 to go...only to see the Sycs tie it and send the game to overtime. WSU would lose in OT by 10.

Word is that Gregg let Jim Schaus have it after the game.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X