No announcement yet.

Why Tyson's game winning shot wasn't a bad shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it had been Duke instead of JSU, would this thread have been started?

Comment

I will take an in rhythm shot all day long. You are trying to get one good shot at the end of game clock. No need to over complicate it. If Tyson hadn’t proven that type of range - the outrage would be reasonable. He has proven that is a make-able shot and he has the green light to take it.

My biggest gripe with our late clock plays for 10+ years was bringing a screener and therefore help defender to the ball handler. I much prefer putting a single defender on an island and telling my best player to take the best shot they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

This is a PSA for anyone who likes to listen to some shocker basketball talk on the radio (or podcast). Check out Pat Strathman on 92.3 from 2-4 or search “shane Dennis podcast” in your pod catcher of choice.

He his knowledgeable, respectful and provides a ton of shocker coverage from interviews with Mike Kennedy and Taylor Eldridge to audio from press conferences. It’s really worth your time if you’re a shocker fan.

The Drive is an embarrassment to Shocker basketball coverage. They don’t even try. I tuned in for 30 seconds the other day to hear them talk about how they get free tickets but “they probably won’t make it to many games this year”.
        Embarrassment is being too kind, but some just couldn't comprehend that sentiment even if they tried. Specifically, the Lootz's attract the kind of people who call posters reporting on Summer pick-up ball at the Roundhouse as 'sunshine' pumpers.

Thanks for the announcement. I had no idea about the 2-4 slot, and I do have Spotify. Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
          If it had been Duke instead of JSU, would this thread have been started?
          I don’t think Duke would play in Koch.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I doubt many NBA scouts are thinking that was a bad shot. They're probably making notes about his ability to make that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              Defending my statement: How many of you can honestly say that is a 40% shot
              which is what the TEAM shot last season? Factor in the probability that if he
              attacks the basket he could easily get fouled or dish to a teammate with a much
              better % shot. How many of you thought it was a bad shot until it went in?
              I know I did. He is NOT going to make 40% of that type of shot. Even for him that
              is more like a 30% shot at best. Either that or he is going to be another Curry which
              I doubt. I'll have my stud attack the basket with as much time as I had.
              Old school mentality. These kids have grown up watching Steph, Lillard, Kyrie, Luka. I can think of game winning shots from each of those players that were similar to TE's. Curry too many daggers to mention. 6'1 Lillard's side step 30'+ jumper over a great 6'9 perimeter defender in Paul George to send OKC home from the playoffs. Kyrie's side step 25' over another great defender in Klay Thompson to ice game 7 of the finals. Luka just hit a 30' side step falling out of bounds a few nights ago at the buzzer. In each case these guys had time to get a look another way but, chose the deep side step. Why? #1 it creates space and allows for a somewhat clean look regardless of the defenders length and #2 they PRACTICE this shot. And in Tyson's case he wants to play in the NBA so he does things NBA guys do. It's not a bad shot. Worst case we go OT. I'll take that everytime

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

The Drive is an embarrassment to Shocker basketball coverage. They don’t even try. I tuned in for 30 seconds the other day to hear them talk about how they get free tickets but “they probably won’t make it to many games this year”.
                The Drive had a schtick going for a while but his pandemic takes combined with his frankly annoying son who brings nothing to the show along with their troubling obsession with the Eagles (and music as a whole) has destroyed what was once a decent show. Bob seems willing to go down with the Bernies AOCs & Faucis of the world.....

Wait a minute....Cold IS BOB LUTZ!!!! It's exactly the same arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Some people who are criticizing a win aren’t looking at the big picture.

-We beat a good team.
                  -we shot badly
                  -Other than our poor shooting, we played very well
                  -We beat them at every other statistic, except for shooting
                  -Dexter was good
                  -Ricky not good, and Qua worse.
                  -Kenny P. Was good
                  -Porter was good
                  -Tyson was good when it counted.
                  I agree. Perfect analysis!

Comment

Question for ShockerFever - would you prefer a challenged 6-8' shot (for some reason I'm thinking of Marcus McDuffie falling sideways and heaving the ball towards the rim on his way down), a Dennis rushed/semi contested shot from 20' at the horn after Tyson was doubled and forced to kick out, or a clean look in rhythm by Tyson from 30' ??

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The Drive had a schtick going for a while but his pandemic takes combined with his frankly annoying son who brings nothing to the show along with their troubling obsession with the Eagles (and music as a whole) has destroyed what was once a decent show. Bob seems willing to go down with the Bernies AOCs & Faucis of the world.....

Spot on. That show is worthless now. When the protests of 2020 hit, they aired it all out. Probably lost a lot of listeners then. They eventually have been whittled down to zero callers. I no longer care to listen.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
                        Question for ShockerFever - would you prefer a challenged 6-8' shot (for some reason I'm thinking of Marcus McDuffie falling sideways and heaving the ball towards the rim on his way down), a Dennis rushed/semi contested shot from 20' at the horn after Tyson was doubled and forced to kick out, or a clean look in rhythm by Tyson from 30' ??
                        But if they all go in, who cares? Amirite?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

More likely Jeff, but yeah

Comment

There are a couple of other reasons this is not a bad shot:
                            1) We did not call a timeout, which meant they could not bring in a big man for defense/rebounding
                            2) Our personnel on the floor, aside from TE, was DD, Pleasant, Porter and Council (4 excellent athletes who have proven capable at getting offensive rebounds)
                            3) Tyson shoots early enough that there is a chance for an offensive rebound in the event of a miss

Aside from the usual points others have made about the ability Tyson has to hit the shot, the fact he had time to get himself in a good rhythm and put the defender on his heels just enough to create the space needed, there was an excellent chance at getting a putback. Watching the replay shows that Porter had fantastic position when he crashed to the glass.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                              There are a couple of other reasons this is not a bad shot:
                              1) We did not call a timeout, which meant they could not bring in a big man for defense/rebounding
                              2) Our personnel on the floor, aside from TE, was DD, Pleasant, Porter and Council (4 excellent athletes who have proven capable at getting offensive rebounds)
                              3) Tyson shoots early enough that there is a chance for an offensive rebound in the event of a miss

Aside from the usual points others have made about the ability Tyson has to hit the shot, the fact he had time to get himself in a good rhythm and put the defender on his heels just enough to create the space needed, there was an excellent chance at getting a putback. Watching the replay shows that Porter had fantastic position when he crashed to the glass.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

When Etienne took the shot, I was not shocked, disappointed, aghast, or mad because it was a bad shot. I was glad to see him take the shot, although I was a little surprised at the depth. When it went in, I wasn't surprised at all.

Then he just turned around and walked to the other end toplay defense, as if he's made that shot thousands of times.

Maybe that's because he has made that shot thousands of times. It's part of his daily workout routine for end-game situations. He has people crashing at him when he makes the shot in workouts, so he's used to defenders coming at him. Etienne brings a level of preparation with him that we've only seen with VanVleet. With an uncle who played in the NBA and a dad who worked with him on game situations from when he was just a kid, Etienne is probably better prepared than VanVleet was.

When you've got a "go to" guy, you go to him. Let him do whatever he wants to do. It isn't always going to work, but that's the best chance for winning the game. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Etienne has half a dozen other options for end games.

Comment

Working...
                                X